Who best to replace finned barrel on 1928AC?

After many years and many 10s of thousands of rounds I finally got a squib followed by a barrel rupture (3 hairline cracks in the bulge). This was at the 6 o'clock position just under the tip of the horizontal fore end. This was with S&B 230 grain FMJ ammo, which I've shot several cases of in the last few years as it was available.

I have a new blued finned barrel with a full auto chamber in my spare parts box. The gun was refinished to like new by PK about 12-13 years back so ideally I'd love to find someone who can give it a dulite finish to match the rest of the gun, but I'll take anyone who knows what they're doing or who is willing to rent the tools.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! I'll try to post a picture when I get a chance to transfer one from my phone.

Rob

2 hours ago, Gio said:

Have you contacted P K he may be able to do it . He still does work just not taking any new rebuilds.

Frank

Right. PK has done some great work on jobs for me that don't involve full rebuilds. Fast turnaround, and that fine PK sense of humor! 

How did rupture happen?  Did the squib have enough power to work the bolt and cycle the next round in or did you recock and fire?

I have on my todo list running a series of tests to see if it is possible to have enough force to cycle the action without the bullet exiting the barrel

Rob what was the lot number and manufacturer date on the S& B ammo? (if you still have the box) I have 1200 rounds of S&B sitting downstairs. 

23 hours ago, bradhe said:

How did rupture happen?  Did the squib have enough power to work the bolt and cycle the next round in or did you recock and fire?

I have on my to-do list running a series of tests to see if it is possible to have enough force to cycle the action without the bullet exiting the barrel

I remember debates about this very question. The consensus was that a squib round would have very little or no powder in it. The shooter would see what looked like a failure to eject the fired case. If the barrel was not checked for an obstruction, then the next full-power round bulged or ruptured the barrel. So, it's essentially not possible to damage a barrel without some action on the part of the shooter.

I'm aware of the possibility of this happening, though I have yet to see it personally. If someone else is firing one of my guns, I'm standing right there, hopefully ready to intervene if necessary. The same goes for hang fires and failures to fire. These, I have seen. Count to 30 and eject the cartridge, leaving it on the ground for later disposal. Don't immediately pick it up for inspection.

Some surplus ammo is notorious for hard primers, 1950s Yugo 8mm Mauser, for instance. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SP Sarge said:

Rob what was the lot number and manufacturer date on the S& B ammo? (if you still have the box) I have 1200 rounds of S&B sitting downstairs. 

I too am very interested in the lot number if available!

S&B .45 is pretty good ammo over all, and I have shot many, many rounds through several Thompson with it but.. On rare occasion when loading my mags or drums I have found a bad round where the the bullet is inserted way too low in the brass, a bad load. I would just say whenever loading your mags or drums, be sure to take a good look at each individual round to make sure that it looks kosher. 

Here's the crack. This sounds far fetched, but I'm not exactly positive what happened. Was shooting in an indoor tunnel that was well lit at each end, but went forward to the poorly lit 25 yard area with a few mags and folks. Nothing sounded unusual. After the gun cooled I put it away, and this was discovered the next time I took it out. From the top with the forend in place the bulge is barely noticable. I assume a squib lodged a bullet in the barrel, then the next bullet impacted it enough to dislodge both but did the damage shown in the process. I'm surprised they didn't simply pile up in there with the gas venting back out of the chamber.

image.jpeg

Black and gold ammo box.

FWIW, years ago I had an OOB with a mac resulting in a stuck round. I didn't get off of the trigger quickly enough and the next round most definitely did not push the first one out!

qThKZbi.jpg

Edited by Rob1928

Rob, that is pretty nasty looking, sorry this happened to you. As an actual Thompson shooter and not just a safe queen collector, these things can happen and I’m thankful it hasn’t happened to me, please let us know about the details of getting this barrel replaced when it happens.

Several months ago I purchased a case of 9mm direct from Norma.  Opened the first box and had 2 squibs in the first 20 rounds.  It appeared to be a malfunction.  Ran my dowel rod down the barrel and found an obstruction.  OK that gun is done for the day.  Loaded the second gun, fired a few shots, another malfunction.  Squib.  That was it for the day.  Inspecting the brass I immediately noticed it had a thick black soot on it.  Notified Norma and they sent me a prepaid shipping label and refund.