UPDATE 3: Merle .22LR Conversion Kits

I now have 22 bolt/barrel combinations tested successfully, and expect to have the proper size barrel nuts in hand in the next few days.  The modified bolts and barrel nuts will still need to have some touch-up bluing work, but I hope to be assembling the first 22 kits in the next 2-4 weeks.  I will be sending individual Emails to each of the first 22 people on my original request list for you to confirm that you still want the kit, and to provide you payment information.  I will also need to know how many magazines you want with each kit.

Work continues to get an additional three kits tested successfully to fill the orders on my first list.  In the next 3-4 weeks, I hope to have information on the manufacture of the parts needed to complete the kits on my second list.  In addition to the parts needed, one limiting factor on those kits will be the bolt/barrel match-up.  I have a limited number of barrels, and I have discovered that the alignment of the installed barrels varies a bit, so I need to match each bolt to each barrel.  I still expect to be able to fulfill those waiting on my second list.  As these additional kits are completed, I will be contacting each person on the list via Email to verify and complete the sale.

For those who have requested additional parts, such as ejectors or extractors, I will not be selling any of those parts until I can confirm that I have enough to complete entire kits for those who have requested them.  I still have you on my original list, and I do expect to be able to make those parts available, but my availability may be limited to one of each part in some cases.

Thanks to all for your patience.

The saga continues...

Roger

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have received some questions about the elongated loading slot on the drum magazines.  Below are pics to help answer any questions.  I will not have the tooling needed for the slot elongation set up for a couple months.

Drum with standard loading slot on back.

Drum without adapter copy.jpg

Drum with standard loading slot and TSMG adapter installed.

Drum with adapter copy.jpg

Drum with elongated loading slot.

Elongated slot copy.jpg

Drum with elongated loading slot and TSMG adapter installed.

Elongated slot with adapter copy.jpg

I have one drum without the elongated loading slot. It is easy to load if you first remove the TSMG drum adapter.

Roger is the next Drum Doctor!!! Thank you for all you do for the Thompson community. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:26 AM, bradhe said:

The slot looks easy enough to machine.  Are the Thompson adapters available?

bradhe,

I have a very limited supply of Merle’s adapters, so they are only being sold one to a customer to those buying kits. I hope to have more made, but we don’t yet know when or the cost. Once more are made, I will notify everyone. 

TD. and mgvince,

Not sure that I qualify yet as the Drum Doctor. If I ever get Merle’s spring repair going, then I will be the new Drum Doctor.  The PPS drums are finicky, but nothing like real C and L drums.

On the other hand, Conversion Kit Doctor is appropriate. I now know more about these kits than I ever expected to (or wanted to), and I’m still learning. Just wish I had Merle’s machining experience and tools so that I could move things along more quickly.

3 hours ago, bradhe said:

Is there a drawing?  Doesn't look that hard to make

thanks

Brad

Brad,

If Merle had drawings, we did not find them. I doubt he bothered. We have to reverse engineer the parts that I am having made.

As far as I know, Merle made most of the parts himself, though I know he farmed out a few, like the ejectors. I met the man who made those for him. Merle made his first batch out of stainless steel, but he soon found those were too easily bent in use. The second batch were made out of spring steel. We found the plates the ejectors were cut from. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m already working on these for Roger as well as other parts. The bolt base plates are turning out great. The drum adapters are next. Still tweaking the model and program. When a machine opens up I’m going to be trying them. 

Got mine today. It's  a beautiful thing. Life is good! Thank you Roger and to all that made this happen. 

Edited by ppgcowboy

Mine showed up today, although it's way too cold to think about a test firing!

Workmanship is awesome, wonderful done!

Thanks, Roger .... Merle would be proud of these indeed!

I was planning to order one of these years ago, about the time Merle stopped work on them. Speaking with him several times, he really wanted to pick the projects back up but that didn't happen, our loss as well as his. He really lived to tinker, fix and create and speaking with him, he always seemed a bit sad after he had stopped working.

All that aside, I was pleased when Dan Block told me that Roger was planning to take over Merles drum repair tooling and give that a go. Best wishes in that endeavor, Roger!

And again, thanks for taking on this labor of love in finishing up these kits, and doing such an awesome job!

Will keep y'all posted on how these work as it gets warmer!

Stay warm, everyone!

John

PXL_20240117_004239328.jpg

Edited by john
Add image

One thing I forgot to tell everyone that has bought the kits - the plexiglass cover on your kits has protective film on the front and back.  Feel free to remove that once you receive your kit.  I chose to leave it in place to protect everything during shipping.

You will also note that the cutout in the kit box does not easily fit the 1928 actuator when installed in the bolt.  I believe Merle had these cases routed out before he came up with his improved actuator design, and the improved design moved the actuator knob back a bit on the bolt.  If you want to be able to leave your 1928 actuator in place in the bolt when storing it in the kit, you need to open up that wood cutout a little bit toward the rear of the bolt.  I was not set up to do that mod.

Had a small window between snow squalls today.  Put mine in my 28 Navy? Gave it a few tweaks and she is running like a champ. Life is good.

Woohoo!  I got mine today!  Roger, I appreciate the effort that you went to to let us have these mementos of Merle's genius and hard work.  Unfortunately, weather and work will conspire to prevent me from giving it a test for several weeks.  I 'might' be able to sneak out earlier, though!

Thank you!