C&R MP38 All Matching Numbers

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2023 at 6:44 PM, colt21a said:

Cond.looked like a boat anchor or was on sub duty and the captain towed it alongside U-505

DID NOT IMPRESS ME ONE BIT.HOWEVER SOMEBODY COULD NOT WAIT TO WRITE THAT CHECK...

AND THE WORLD TURNS//post-504-0-46824700-1614064142_thumb.jpgI MISS THIS ONE...

That looks like a nice one Ron!

Robert

Edited by Robert Henley

On 12/29/2023 at 6:44 PM, colt21a said:

Cond.looked like a boat anchor or was on sub duty and the captain towed it alongside U-505

DID NOT IMPRESS ME ONE BIT.HOWEVER SOMEBODY COULD NOT WAIT TO WRITE THAT CHECK...

AND THE WORLD TURNS//post-504-0-46824700-1614064142_thumb.jpgI MISS THIS ONE...

I too thought it looked a bit "worn" shall we say. These MP40's are super prone to rusting even if kept in climate controlled environment. Metal is just too thin...

Just now, Rekraps said:

I too thought it looked a bit "worn" shall we say. These MP40's are super prone to rusting even if kept in climate controlled environment. Metal is just too thin...

Yes, I know, MP38. Even so, prone to rust and most were actively used in the war.

8 hours ago, Rekraps said:

I think it has more to do with the bluing finish.  M50 and M55 reisings used by the Marines in the pacific rusted out quickly in the harsh conditions.  The early ones were all blued.   They later went to a parkerized finish.

16 hours ago, NFA amnesty said:

I think it has more to do with the bluing finish.  M50 and M55 reisings used by the Marines in the pacific rusted out quickly in the harsh conditions.  The early ones were all blued.   They later went to a parkerized finish.

Great point. 

MP38s and MP40s were hot dip blued. It was not a durable finish, and it's usually thin or gone today. ETO weather didn't help. Imagine what a piece looks like when it was used in all weathers and was continually being brought indoors from extremely cold outdoor temperatures, such as after a guard shift. Condensation was going to form every time. 

23 hours ago, TSMGguy said:

MP38s and MP40s were hot dip blued. It was not a durable finish, and it's usually thin or gone today. ETO weather didn't help. Imagine what a piece looks like when it was used in all weathers and was continually being brought indoors from extremely cold outdoor temperatures, such as after a guard shift. Condensation was going to form every time. 

Got that right. Ask anyone who survived Stalingrad!