Question about HK Sears:

tricky9914

Hey All,

I am not at all new to machine guns, but I am new to HK sears. I came across an MM11 (Michael's Machines version of HK11) and was thinking it would be fun to make FA. It is my understanding that I need to find an "unmarried" registered sear? I don't really have any interest in any other HK, roller-locking type firearm (other than perhaps a 21E at some point), so is there a certain route I should go? Again, sorry for the ignorance... Every single one of my machine guns are all WWII or earlier, so I am not too familiar with "sear" guns. 

Thanks for any advice!

You’ll find a sear is a deep deep deep rabbit hole…..I don’t care that much for Hk11’s as the ones built on G3 receivers can have issues with body bounce. 

If you get a sear, you’ll end up with the following hosts as a standard “kit” and expand from it:

MP5 (full size)

MP5SD

HK33

G3

HK belt fed guns are cool but the problem is besides eating ammo, if they aren’t tuned properly, they can eat parts and nothing HK belt fed is cheap!! I sold off all my HK belt fed guns for that exact reason….as much fun as they were, it wasn’t worth it for the cost of repair parts (and finding them) Now I just have my magazine fed host guns and couldn’t be happier. 

My HK host gun collection is a little long….

MP5 (very first build)

MP5 (irons only)

MP5 (optic)

MP5K

MP5K-SD

MP5K-RS

MP5SD (irons)

MP5SD (optic)

MP5SD-Hybrid (irons)

MP5SD-Hybrid (optic) 

HK53SD (300 BLK)

HK53

HK33K

HK33

HK51

G3K

G3

All of these host guns I have built myself as I build clone guns for people. I tell people that my G3 is the HK equivalent of a BAR. Shooting it off the shoulder isn’t as fun but shooting it off the bipod is deadly as sin!! If I had to pick five out of my list it would be the following:

MP5 

MP5SD

Hk53

HK33

G3

Here is all you need to know   "HK, often imitated, never duplicated".   There are almost no HK beltfeds in the US.  What is available are hit......and mostly miss, clone guns.  Some have a few real HK parts, most do not these days, and this is the source of most of the issues that crop up.   The magazine fed guns suffer the same problems but removing the belt feed simplifies things a great deal.

The reality is, the farther you stray from HK's designs and engineering to lower standard parts and assembly, the less reliable and dependable the guns are.  I own one clone gun, an SAR 8, and even though it was supposedly made by a licensee on HK tooling, the quality is not near as good as an HK91 that sits beside it.   The rest of my stuff today varies from 70% to 99.9%  German HK parts, thus I've limited my exposure to problems that everyone so frequently reads about.

Finding a sear on the loose is just the beginning, and the easiest part of the equation.  Getting it into a good gun and making it all function correctly is the bigger challenge.   It's not as easy as people make it sound. 

Edited by johnsonlmg41

Guess I got lucky with the guns I’ve built….over 50 of them to date so I’ll chalk it up to luck then. 

I don’t disagree that some are hit or miss and some will need tuned to your sear pack as not all trigger boxes are drilled equally for the sear hole. Some have to be played with to get them in the right position. Belt fed guns are fun but not as much fun as they used to be due to ammo costs mainly. 

You'll have to chalk it up to luck since you've done no long term testing to determine how long your guns will work?  Or what will break and when?  Or how long the aftermarket parts will work and what they are made of?   What you probably do know is a pure HK gun will definitely outlast your builds, and the parts you are using have next to no quality control and vary from batch to batch and supplier.  Sometimes it's obvious right away, sometimes it's 10K rounds before problems become evident?  Add a belt feed to the experiment which have higher sustained fire wear rates on rifle caliber rounds and it's sort of a miracle the clones work at all.....but most don't really.....but they look good!

The tradeoff will come in price/value to your customers, whom fortunately won't likely run the guns that often, nor in a situation where they are depended upon so they can be price sensitive with no ill effect.   They can always be fixed/ new aftermarket parts replaced.

Sear hole location varies by hammer....they get located, not played with.  I did some burst packs  a while back and nearly learned this the hard way.

After spending days with the former owner of PTR (yet another hard knocks learning lesson) on a parts gathering mission,  I'd never buy one of those either.  Again, mostly they work, but for how long?

• Upvote 1

Well I guess I shoot the hell out of mine they do pretty well. My MP5 “shooter” has over 30,000 rounds out of it and it’s an HK parts kit with an LSC reciever….but I’ll sit back and keep shooting them and the only parts that I’ve replaced are extractor springs. 

My all aftermarket parts MP5 “shooter” has over 10k rounds out of it and again it’s been extractor springs only. Again must be luck again. 

I do agree that most people don’t shoot these guns to the full potential. That can be said for anyone who is shooting MG’s anymore. We are recreational shooters not taking these into combat. 

I’ve seen Sears installed that had to have the trip adjusted for the timing due to the hole location in the trigger box but that must have been a fluke too. 

On 1/17/2024 at 9:28 PM, Got Uzi said:

My HK host gun collection is a little long….

MP5 (very first build)

MP5 (irons only)

MP5 (optic)

MP5K

MP5K-SD

MP5K-RS

MP5SD (irons)

MP5SD (optic)

MP5SD-Hybrid (irons)

MP5SD-Hybrid (optic) 

HK53SD (300 BLK)

HK53

HK33K

HK33

HK51

G3K

G3

All of these host guns I have built myself as I build clone guns for people. I tell people that my G3 is the HK equivalent of a BAR. Shooting it off the shoulder isn’t as fun but shooting it off the bipod is deadly as sin!! If I had to pick five out of my list it would be the following:

MP5 

MP5SD

Hk53

HK33

G3

Good lord.... how much stuff can a guy have!