Sight replacement question

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Savage28AC said:

Asked about the threading, not clear from looking under. Ya I was pretty clear about not fucking this up

Well if it doesn't have nuts under holding the bolts in place, then yeah he threaded your receiver.... 

Make sure he finished the inside so you can shoot it. It can be fixed but make sure you have a good TSMG mechanic this time.

Hi Savage28AC,

Welcome to the Thompson forum on MachineGunBoards.com. The Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport 1928AC Thompson submachine gun is great shooter grade submachine gun that I recommend often to those new to the Thompson community. It is a parts gun but from the original manufacturer. I have spent years studying this variation, especially the time frame in which it was manufactured and sold by Auto-Ordnance Corporation and/or Maguire Industries. My research on the 28AC variation can be found in my third book, A Thompson Compendium. Over 80 known serial numbers with pictures of 1928ACs are featured. Yours may be one of them! 

Regarding your rear sight, the 1928AC is one of the best Thompson guns to modify because there was no real standardization of parts for this variation. Yes, most have the L rear sight and smooth barrel. I assume the gunsmith you hired to install the Lyman rear sight apparently threaded the rivet holes. That said, the sight is still operational so no problems with shooting the gun. If you want to correct this situation, I suggest reaching out to PK. or Paul Krogh, a forum member, to see if he can remedy the problem with the proper rivets. PK is one of the best Thompsonsmiths. Period.

PK. can be reached at: p-k@q.com. I suggest sending him the picture you posted above, along with this link, and asking him what he can do to make your 1928AC look original. Do not expect a fast reply. PK. is very busy and often takes a few days to respond. 

If your interested in learning more about your 1928AC and/or filing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, contact me at: tkd5501@fuse.net.

TD.

It can be repaired but a repaired gun is substantially less valuable than one in  original condition.  The holes will need to be welded up, drilled out and the inside and outside surfaces of the receiver will need to machined flat. Then the receiver will probably need to be refinished. This is not a cheap repair and once it's done your receiver will NOT be "good as new."  How much value it has lost will depend on how visible the repair is.  Someone more knowledgeable about 28 collector values than I am may be able to give you an estimate

Savage28AC,

I would not worry too much about the 28AC you have being greatly devalued. The Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) 1928AC variation is not really a collector grade gun. It is a shooter grade gun that will hold its value no matter what is done to it. I would bet there are some who would pay more just for the Lyman adjustable rear sight regardless of how it is installed.

This variation used to be in the 22K to 25K price range. I have seen a little price creep for this variation of late. Generally speaking, the AC variation costs more than a 1928 West Hurley and is a much better gun. Ruben Mendiola has one on sale with a nickel or chrome receiver and barrel at 32K. If mine, I would obtain an estimate for repair and proceed accordingly. While I recommended PK., forum members "deerslayer" and "GotUzi" also repair Thompson guns and do great work. Maybe one is within driving distance.  

If not already a member, you should consider joining one or both of the Thompson associations. Both have a private Show & Shoot in Ohio later this year. If you are close, you should think about joining and attending. I guarantee a great time!

I’m not sure if this is a viable solution, but I remember when I was building an airplane there were aluminum AN rivets available that had a larger diameter body with the same diameter head as a standard rivet. They were for oversized holes but looked like a normal rivet. Maybe something like this could be used? Just a thought…

The problem is the “investment” value of this Thompson has been ruined because someone thought they’d “upgrade” it and obviously has no clue how things work. The only way this could be fixed would be to weld the holes shut then redo them. It would help for down the road but it’s still going to be a “repaired receiver” the other option could be that you could have a set of custom rivets made with large bottoms and small diameter stems to be peen’d over

37 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

The problem is the “investment” value of this Thompson has been ruined because someone thought they’d “upgrade” it and obviously has no clue how things work. The only way this could be fixed would be to weld the holes shut then redo them. It would help for down the road but it’s still going to be a “repaired receiver” the other option could be that you could have a set of custom rivets made with large bottoms and small diameter stems to be peen’d over

Will keep this in mind