How come Thompsons are not going up in value?

It seems to me that run of the mill 1928A1 and M1 type Thompsons are still selling in the mid-20k zone, same as 10 years ago.

But M16s have practically doubled.

Check this out:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037245034

That's more or less the same price you would have paid 10 years ago for that gun.  Not double.

Edited by Doug Quaid

You are correct. The market has stalled completely for the last fifteen years. My personal feeling on this is that it's because after Saving Private Ryan came out Thompsons tripled in a very short time. I would say that they over priced given the number of them out there. Once the hype died down and the financial crash of 2008/09 happened no one wanted to sell theirs at anything lower so they sat waiting for a buyer. And they sat. Just my worthless opinion.

Well look at the demographic buying guns-many guns are generational. Colt Thompson’s have gone up as well as the market becoming inflated over the whole Covid thing. Prices across the board are coming back down to reality in light of the economy with what’s going on with it. 

People are also trying to price gouge, using the auction houses as price guides which is bullshit. You won’t get those kind of prices on the open market. Same as the guys who bought these 20-30 years ago but now saying “I can’t possibly sell my Colt Thomson for less than $62,500” when the market is really $45,000…..trying to squeeze every penny out of something that has grown 20 fold in value, as well as gouging, then crying “there are no young guys buying Thompson’s, I don’t understand it”

Also a lot of the first generation of NFA buyers estates are now coming onto the market which will flood the market for the next several years. How many collectors that you knew are now gone and their collections have been sold in the last couple of years?

Another point on auction prices. Most posted prices include buyer's premium and of course seller's premium. A few M1928A1's have sold at auction in the low $30's but backing out the premiums and the seller is netting in the mid $20's.

Fully Transferable Early M1 Thompson .45 ACP “S” stamped Machine Gun - Machine Guns at GunBroker.com : 1037245034

That gun also has problems that keep it from selling at a top price. It's been refinished, more than once, with substantial buffing. There's no way to tell whether the frame serial matches that on the receiver. The original "bright" bolt is gone. 

Edited by TSMGguy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TSMGguy said:

Fully Transferable Early M1 Thompson .45 ACP “S” stamped Machine Gun - Machine Guns at GunBroker.com : 1037245034

That gun also has problems that keep it from selling at a top price. It's been refinished, more than once, with substantial buffing. There's no way to tell whether the frame serial matches that on the receiver. The original "bright" bolt is gone. 

Maybe so, but crummy off-brand AR15 full auto conversions are starting at $25k now.

I've watched M16 prices just about double in the time that Thompson prices have gone up maybe 10 or 15 percent.

From a guy who has done the thing for  OVER 50 years.AND REFUSE TO DO ANY BOOK ON ANY OF IT ANYMORE.Since the amount of krunts that deal in it now on  the internet. it is not worth my precious life moments anymore.

too much greed.$$$ no history or love for it.everybody is a know all expert.

who knew what in 1950 or 60 or 70? like ten people....those who you shared or talked to and became friends have passed away.and the bigger percentage now is chuckle heads.we get the small band together here...that is about it.

i have seen gun forums come and go in last 20 years.along with many people.

those who are the hardcore. know exactly what i speak.I will always have a feeling for anything Thompson.

however now anything like it,

they want it to be some 401k or bond or value coupon.which it is not and never was....i do remember selling M-16S FOR $1500 AND $2000 and very few wanted them at all. my first MP-40 i bought was in around 1974, bought from Roger for $500 bucks #349F

a darn reblue but great. and sold a few years later  to bill c. in ohio. for the same $500 bucks.to buy a Colt 21 a for $900 bucks.

those had been days you worked hard for every buck and loved what you bought. and really did not look at a value. will it be $1,450.00 next year. at least for me that never bothered  me. the gun decades later showed up at Marty Mandalls and Marty called me hey Ron want it back? its now restored and i want $25 g.i said well i would pay you $10 g. since it originally cost me $900

was that like a first girlfriend? ha ha

i have thousands of stories like that over the decades.and i am sure anybody who has done real bizz with this stuff has also.

Enjoy what you enjoy and hope it hampers nobody else.we all wish IF?

BUT THAT WENT OUT WITH WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA.IN 10 YEARS MAYBE 20 NOT MANY WILL CARE....

it was US that did it and enjoyed it.post-504-0-38337900-1619027196_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A friend of mine has a mac and loves being able to switch out the uppers to shoot different calibers, and this also applies to the M16. Wanna shoot 9 today... no problem, 223 tomorrow and 300 blackout the next time easy peasy. I love shooting the Thompson and so I don't care about the caliber change out ability as I don't intend for this to be anything other than a fun gun to shoot. No SHTF weapon of choice here just a joy to shoot.

Had one of those laying around in a tackle box years ago. i gave it to a guy at gun show.it was new in a wrapper with a lil stamp on it parked dark green.

yeah sear stuff who knew?

enjoy the day and what you have or did....do a little dance... get down tonightpost-504-0-15444900-1585769022.gif

The entire Class-III market value would TRIPLE if the citizens of "California" were allowed to add to their Full-Auto collections.

We would vacuum-up everything that's out there, quality- and price-no-object.

Could it happen?

The firearms-market in general cools-off when the people feel that a "Firearm-friendly" person is at the helm.

And what of the "resale possibilities" of your F.A. possessions?

Local California auction-house has a new "30-day waiting-period" for the SELLER of a firearm.
It takes the State  that long to determine if the seller "legally possessed it".     

What is the value of something that is tough to buy...and difficult to sell?     ...Phil

Pesonally, I just love the "collecting" part of the hobby, not to mention that it's a relatively safe place to park money. I have enjoyed every minute of the game and learned tons about the various items that I bought. 

• Like 1

Just remember if prices triple then no one who actually shoots these things and is a blue collar person will ever be able to buy again. While they are great to be looked at as “investments” the entire “investment” game is the major reason prices have been inflated to the point the common guy can’t afford one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colt21a said:

From a guy who has done the thing for  OVER 50 years.AND REFUSE TO DO ANY BOOK ON ANY OF IT ANYMORE.Since the amount of krunts that deal in it now on  the internet. it is not worth my precious life moments anymore.

too much greed.$$$ no history or love for it.everybody is a know all expert.

who knew what in 1950 or 60 or 70? like ten people....those who you shared or talked to and became friends have passed away.and the bigger percentage now is chuckle heads.we get the small band together here...that is about it.

i have seen gun forums come and go in last 20 years.along with many people.

those who are the hardcore. know exactly what i speak.I will always have a feeling for anything Thompson.

however now anything like it,

they want it to be some 401k or bond or value coupon.which it is not and never was....i do remember selling M-16S FOR $1500 AND $2000 and very few wanted them at all. my first MP-40 i bought was in around 1974, bought from Roger for $500 bucks #349F

a darn reblue but great. and sold a few years later  to bill c. in ohio. for the same $500 bucks.to buy a Colt 21 a for $900 bucks.

those had been days you worked hard for every buck and loved what you bought. and really did not look at a value. will it be $1,450.00 next year. at least for me that never bothered  me. the gun decades later showed up at Marty Mandalls and Marty called me hey Ron want it back? its now restored and i want $25 g.i said well i would pay you $10 g. since it originally cost me $900

was that like a first girlfriend? ha ha

i have thousands of stories like that over the decades.and i am sure anybody who has done real bizz with this stuff has also.

Enjoy what you enjoy and hope it hampers nobody else.we all wish IF?

BUT THAT WENT OUT WITH WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA.IN 10 YEARS MAYBE 20 NOT MANY WILL CARE....

it was US that did it and enjoyed it.post-504-0-38337900-1619027196_thumb.jpg

I too miss the old days. I'm a shooter first and collector second. It's the history that keeps me collecting. I support opening the registry so prices will come down.

12 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

Just remember if prices triple then no one who actually shoots these things and is a blue collar person will ever be able to buy again. While they are great to be looked at as “investments” the entire “investment” game is the major reason prices have been inflated to the point the common guy can’t afford one.

I don't want them to go up in value, I just think it's weird.  

Thompsons have every element that makes a firearm collectable.  Famous design, famous colorful wartime history, famous manufacturer.  They're super cool and they show up in movies constantly.  They should be at the very pinnacle of the collecting market.  But they've slipped some.

1 hour ago, Doug Quaid said:

I don't want them to go up in value, I just think it's weird.  

Thompsons have every element that makes a firearm collectable.  Famous design, famous colorful wartime history, famous manufacturer.  They're super cool and they show up in movies constantly.  They should be at the very pinnacle of the collecting market.  But they've slipped some.

The TSMG also has a well known "peacetime" history as "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar" and as the firearm of choice for "The Depression Desperados".

Note also, the modern, much heralded, H & K MP5 has experienced generally flat sales prices of late also.

Have you all looked at the prices coupled with the economy?  Prices on NFA shot out of sight from 2019-2022 and now they are leveling off and even coming back down to reality.  All that free "Covid Cash" has dried up, people who are dumping money into NFA instead of the stock market have what they want to hedge against inflation, so here we are.  I bought my Fleming HK sear in 2021 for $35.5k and now they are selling between $42.5k-$45k.....I wouldn't exactly call that "flat sales"  Truth of the matter is people are out of money and those with money don't want the "shooter guns" as they are looking for the perfect "investment grade" guns.....and those guns sell at auction or never hit the open market. 

You're right Got Uzi but the OP's question was about the WWII Thompsons in particular and he's right, they have been exceptionally flat relative to other MGs. Heck, even Reisings have gone up more - percentage wise - than WWII Thompsons. Colt Thompsons and West Hurleys are both in their own niches and are not what he's asking about. 

I bought my M1928A1 in 1999 for $7000 and it tripled in price and a bit more soon after but has sat at that same price since 2008 or earlier (I don't remember exactly when they plateaued). With that $7000 I could have bought 14 Reisings from the same seller for $500 each (but of course 14 times the NFA tax). Those 14 Reisings are now worth about $125,000. Looks like I screwed up.

Part of the reason WWII guns seem to be flat line is that there hasn't been a big WWI movie or series showing off the Thompson in its natural habitat...and again....they are flattening off due to the reasons ive already stated.  Its all in what you want to look at

4 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

Have you all looked at the prices coupled with the economy?  Prices on NFA shot out of sight from 2019-2022 and now they are leveling off and even coming back down to reality.  All that free "Covid Cash" has dried up, people who are dumping money into NFA instead of the stock market have what they want to hedge against inflation, so here we are.  I bought my Fleming HK sear in 2021 for $35.5k and now they are selling between $42.5k-$45k.....I wouldn't exactly call that "flat sales"  Truth of the matter is people are out of money and those with money don't want the "shooter guns" as they are looking for the perfect "investment grade" guns.....and those guns sell at auction or never hit the open market. 

With all due respect, you will note that my comment was addressed specifically to MP5's (i.e., registered specific firearms), not the more flexible, hence more desirable, movable registered sears.  Apples to oranges.  The introduction of suitable H & K "clone" hosts has increased the desirability of the H & K registered sears.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

• Upvote 1

I misunderstood your comment, that it was directed at the Registered Receiver MP5’s and not sear units. I will agree with you that those have flattened off, as well as many other HK RR guns….the one that has kept going up steadily is the MP5SD and MP5K RR guns. 

Funny thing i kept a 1928 military all correct and mint cond.{ yeah you would think i would have kepta Colt}It was a pre 86 sample. with case, mags, drums, extra wood.as my last, and got a call from a well known guy.{mega bucks} and he asked Ron what do you want for it. i said not for sale. all the best is sold off, i am keeping this i can fondle and at least shoot it if needed he pushed i want it

i throw back okay 15 g its yours. Since i figure nobody will pay that,and he says check will be in mail the next day. i could not back out. {some might say what's the big deal}that was over 15 years ago. people had bought low grade Colts for right around that. not pre86 1928 samples.did the same with a M1 SAMPLE. i LEARNED TO NOT OPEN UP MY BIG MOUTH AGAIN. WHEN I SAY. not for sale. and they throw crazy at me.almost did that with Colt #894 back in the day.the M1-->post-504-0-05925500-1621107589_thumb.jpg

• Like 1