Possible scammer on this board

I recently posted a want to buy for a m1a1 trigger frame and we'll I received a message from someone who had one for sale. After some texting back and forth I requested a timestamp to be placed in-between the mag release and frame and I received the picture shown.

As you can see the post-it goes in between the mag release and frame on top but some how is underneath the trigger on the bottom placing the post-it both underneath and on top of the frame at the same time. The user is fri382

I can provide my entire conversation with them including the email they wanted me to zelle the money too if that is something others think I should post.

IMG_20240502_005108.jpg

So what is the scam? That the guy has no trigger frame and used computer graphics to insert the post it note into a picture of a trigger frame he got off the internet? And wants you to Zelle him the money and you get no trigger frame? What is he asking for the frame?

Bob

Bismo...

There are a lot of scammers in the Class 3 community. Machine gun parts are expensive. The Thompson community is relatively small. Many of the members of this Forum meet with each other once or twice a year at the Thompson association shows and shoots. It is a great place to meet new friends with similar interests and find legitimate deals. Cash is always king face to face. Sometimes there has been a deal offered in one state and a forum member lives close by and can check out the seller. Other times a forum member knows the seller and can double check to make sure the deal is legitimate.

I applaud your caution, above. Stay vigilant!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadycon said:

I can't figure out how he got the paper behind the trigger!

My guess is he took an image of a trigger frame off of the internet and then use image editing to add the note. When he trimmed the note he made a mistake by trimming around the trigger.

Ask him where he is located because you want to get eyes on it before you buy and see what happens?  I have done this in the past and if they tell you are too far away you just say you have a relative in there area who can examine it on your behalf.

Tell him, her, or it... you are a big time buyer and traveler. and make arrangements to pick up in person with cash,Set a date up.and also ask what else you have you buy millions of bucks of stuff a year. and no big deal to travel..watch how fast they trot away...I have done that a few times.they all passed.I can't imagine getting ripped ona major gun $10,000 to $50,000 however after my one MP-40 INCIDENT. I AM ALL PREPARED.to go to the door ....it IS sad, you have to get to that to get what you paid for.

• Like 1

Looking back through his posted content it appears at one time this was a legitimate account.  All I have the power to do is mark the account as a spammer restricting his posting capability until this is resolved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadycon said:

I can't figure out how he got the paper behind the trigger!

The wonders of photoshop! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fadedkrill said:

If people used the same effort they use to make scams for making more productive things we would be better off

For some people, it's a psychological thing.  Years ago I saw a cartoon of a couple guys in prison garb, talking in a prison yard.  The caption read, "What I really miss is the sun in my face, the wind in my hair, and the cry, 'Stop - thief!', at my back".  And I've known a couple guys with that type of sociopathic mentality.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:24 PM, Tiz said:

Ask him where he is located because you want to get eyes on it before you buy and see what happens?  I have done this in the past and if they tell you are too far away you just say you have a relative in there area who can examine it on your behalf.

I did the same with a guy on gunbroker.  The listing was gone withing 24 hours.  

15 hours ago, 2ndArmored said:

Maybe the guy's legit and this is the house where he took the photo:

image.jpeg

I sold my M.C.Escher  BACK IN 1988 A BIG REGRET.