M1A1 from Italy

Hello to everyone, I'm a new member here from Italy, glad to join this awesome group.

I love all the Thompson variants, I have one M1A1 serial number 612xxx, currently I'm looking the M1928A1.

Unfortunately in my country you can have only converted semi-auto, here the photos of my Tommy:

T.JPG

T1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mk1992,

Thank you for posting pictures of your very nice M1A1 Thompson submachine gun. If we could own original Thompson guns converted to fire semi-automatic only, there would be a market for thousands of these guns in America. Yes, we can own the fully automatic versions with government approval, but the guns are very expensive, and the approval process can take nearly a year. Good luck on finding a Model of 1928A1. 

Do you know of any Colt manufactured Thompson submachine guns in Italy that have been converted to fire semi-auto only?

If you do not already have a copy, a great book for M1A1 Thompson owners is, American Thunder, Third Edition, by Frank Iannamico. It is available on Amazon.com.

37 minutes ago, TD. said:

Mk1992,

Thank you for posting pictures of your very nice M1A1 Thompson submachine gun. If we could own original Thompson guns converted to fire semi-automatic only, there would be a market for thousands of these guns in America. Yes, we can own the fully automatic versions with government approval, but the guns are very expensive, and the approval process can take nearly a year. Good luck on finding a Model of 1928A1. 

Do you know of any Colt manufactured Thompson submachine guns in Italy that have been converted to fire semi-auto only?

If you do not already have a copy, a great book for M1A1 Thompson owners is, American Thunder, Third Edition, by Frank Iannamico. It is available on Amazon.com.

TD. There are alot of people that have bought the parts kits from RTI and Bowman and reweld the receivers and did all the conversions to SA. There alot of build threads  on WG with people doing it. 

signal_4,

I have heard of that market and applaud their efforts. My thoughts are taking original Thompson submachine guns located overseas, professionally converting them to fire semi-automatic only and allow importation into the USA. Make an exception for the short barrel and sell as Title 1 firearms. Yea, I know, why wish for a loaf of bread when you could just as easily wish for the grocery store. That said, Thompson guns in this condition would be a big hit with Thompson fans, especially those who live in states that do not allow the ownership of machine guns.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TD. said:

signal_4,

I have heard of that market and applaud their efforts. My thoughts are taking original Thompson submachine guns located overseas, professionally converting them to fire semi-automatic only and allow importation into the USA. Make an exception for the short barrel and sell as Title 1 firearms. Yea, I know, why wish for a loaf of bread when you could just as easily wish for the grocery store. That said, Thompson guns in this condition would be a big hit with Thompson fans, especially those who live in states that do not allow the ownership of machine guns.  

Ok I see what you mean.  Yes, that would infact be amazing !!! 

5 hours ago, TD. said:

Mk1992,

Hi, thank you, I appreciate!

Yes I saw, why in your country are there so expensive? 20-30k... My model is non rewelded (here in EU don't exist the cutted receivers to reweld), I paid 7 years ago around 900€ 😅

For the moment I don't saw any converted COLT made, I saw around for sale only M1 or M1A1 by A.O.C or Savage factory, I think the COLT made are more than rare and you can find only a 1928A1 from this factory... maybe around there are some COLT converted...

As I know in Italy these converted smg was imported around 20 years ago from two importers, from this date any Tommy was entered in Italy.

For the book yes I have the 2nd version of American Thunder, I love it!

Mk1992,

Thank you for your response. I believe the Thompon submachine guns converted to semi-automatic only fire are also legal in Germany. 

7 hours ago, TD. said:

Mk1992,

Thank you for your response. I believe the Thompon submachine guns converted to semi-automatic only fire are also legal in Germany. 

There’s a company in Poland too

https://www.arsenalsilesia.pl/product/thompson-m1a1-kal-45-auto-przepiekne-oczekiwanie-na-dostawe3839

Edited by signal_4

In Germany IIRC the mod is basically fixing the selector to SEMI only. Still fires from open bolt . Barrels , bolts and FCG parts are the regulated bits in Europe.

21 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

I’m curious-how did they convert this to semi only? Is this still an open bolt gun? My mechanical mind wonders

Unfortunately my model is converted to closed bolt, in EU there are also open bolt semiauto type.

Semiauto closed bolt have some trigger mechanism milled on the lower and the bolt have two back springs to close it when you load the bullet, a percussion is installed inside the bolt like a M4 bolt...

Open bolt semiauto have only the trigger mechanism milled and modified, but for the law is very simple to re-convert to full auto.

This week end I will send here more photos of my M1A1 with inside details and how it's work.

16 hours ago, TD. said:

Mk1992,

As I know, since I have some friends around Europe, in Germany there is a same laws of Italy, only exception in Germany you can have a special collector firearm license where you can have full-auto pre 1945 firearms, Switzerland with correct license you can have all full-auto firearms, Poland also here you have many licenses... also here full auto is legal.

In UK you can't have nothing, only deactivated 😂

France is legal only semiautomatic new made firearms and it's difficult to have the license... also for a deactivated model you need a license. Austria military semi-auto is illegal as I know also a semiautomatic cal.12...

Others EU lands I don't know, surely the better one is in Switzerland land !!!

Thanks for the info on your conversion M1A1 Tommy Gun. Good looking piece ! Could you show pics of internals ?

We have in USA semi auto Thompsons, closed bolt operation with new manufacture receiver. Per USA Law, Gun Control Act 1968 the semi auto Thompson must have a 16 inch barrel to be sold legally. If you want original barrel you must pay $200 Tax to our Uncle Sam and register it. This applies to most States here.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Thanks for the info on your conversion M1A1 Tommy Gun. Good looking piece ! Could you show pics of internals ?

We have in USA semi auto Thompsons, closed bolt operation with new manufacture receiver. Per USA Law, Gun Control Act 1968 the semi auto Thompson must have a 16 inch barrel to be sold legally. If you want original barrel you must pay $200 Tax to our Uncle Sam and register it. This applies to most States here.

"Most states" meaning some states don't allow them. Federal law trumps state law, but an individual state can be more restrictive, without being unconstitutional.

V/R Karl, 68coupe

7 hours ago, Ivan said:

Yess when I clean it I will post photos.

About your laws, I don't know, USA are a very bigger land with many states inside, the only thing I don't understand is how these firearms are super expensive, I saw in your auctions MG42 from 50k to 80k.... Thompsons 30-40k... my national Beretta MAB 20-30k... for me it's crazy 😂

Here the photo details of the semiauto closed bolt conversion, you can see on the back side of the bolt the AOC logo milled.

IMG_5992.jpeg

IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

IMG_5995.jpeg

IMG_5996.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:26 PM, TD. said:

Mk1992,

And now that the efile system is up and running, one single day.

Thanks for the pictures ! your M1A1 conversion looks similar to the Numrich/Auto Ord semi- Tommy Guns sold here in USA .

The reason Full Auto guns that can be owned by Citizens in USA are so expensive is the supply was frozen in 1986. No more "new" guns can be manufactured for Citizens since 1986. We have different "types" of MGs available here.

TRANSFERABLE type is for sale to any Citizen in most (but not all) states who can pass a criminal history check to purchase any type of Firearm. You must pay a one time $200 Tax to USA Government . You might have to register with your home State and pay a fee also, depends on the State. This TRANSFERABLE type of MG supply has been frozen since 1986, so no more guns are allowed into the supply. That is why so terrible expensive.

We also have SAMPLE MGs which can still be manufactured but can only be sold to Licensed MG Dealers or Police. These are much cheaper but you can only buy it if you have the Dealers License or are Police.

Closed Bolt operation copies of the original MGs are popular here because they cost less, fewer regulations regarding purchase and they can be owned in some of the States that forbid possession of the Full Auto MGs. However if you want original type short barrel you must Register as a Short Barrel Rifle and pay $200 Tax if buttstock is attached.

Semi Auto Thompson M1A1 costs less than $2000. A TRANSFERABLE Full Auto M1A1 Thompson will cost $20,000 +.

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Thanks for the pictures ! your M1A1 conversion looks similar to the Numrich/Auto Ord semi- Tommy Guns sold here in USA .

The reason Full Auto guns that can be owned by Citizens in USA are so expensive is the supply was frozen in 1986. No more "new" guns can be manufactured for Citizens since 1986. We have different "types" of MGs available here.

TRANSFERABLE type is for sale to any Citizen in most (but not all) states who can pass a criminal history check to purchase any type of Firearm. You must pay a one time $200 Tax to USA Government . You might have to register with your home State and pay a fee also, depends on the State. This TRANSFERABLE type of MG supply has been frozen since 1986, so no more guns are allowed into the supply. That is why so terrible expensive.

We also have SAMPLE MGs which can still be manufactured but can only be sold to Licensed MG Dealers or Police. These are much cheaper but you can only buy it if you have the Dealers License or are Police.

Closed Bolt operation copies of the original MGs are popular here because they cost less, fewer regulations regarding purchase and they can be owned in some of the States that forbid possession of the Full Auto MGs. However if you want original type short barrel you must Register as a Short Barrel Rifle and pay $200 Tax if buttstock is attached.

Semi Auto Thompson M1A1 costs less than $2000. A TRANSFERABLE Full Auto M1A1 Thompson will cost $20,000 +.

You're welcome, I like to share something with overseas people!

About your laws, ok, do you mean the famous "pre-ban"?

As I know the transferrable mg's are untouched on the receivers etc and are so expensive.

I saw in many of your shops the "kits" where the receivers are cutted and you have included the barrel and bolt untouched, there parts must be welded by a professional dealer and after you have your mg, but more less than 50k...

For example with 8k a complete mg42 from a parts kit, maybe I remember Lewman firearms, correct?

Here in Italy with 5-6k you can have a semiauto converted Mg53 or 7-8k a semiauto Mg34, always converted but receivers etc are always NO cutted and rewelded.

Mk1992,

It is great to know there are Thompson enthusiasts in Italy that can own the original Thompson submachine guns even with a slight modification to some internal parts. This insures more of these guns will survive in the years ahead and not be cut up into parts kits. Or simply destroyed. Good luck on finding a Model of 1928.

Do you collect Thompson paper items from Italy? Like below: 

Italian Thompson Manuals - resize.jpg 

51 minutes ago, TD. said:

Mk1992,

It is great to know there are Thompson enthusiasts in Italy that can own the original Thompson submachine guns even with a slight modification to some internal parts. This insures more of these guns will survive in the years ahead and not be cut up into parts kits. Or simply destroyed. Good luck on finding a Model of 1928.

Do you collect Thompson paper items from Italy? Like below: 

Italian Thompson Manuals - resize.jpg 

Yes TD no kidding. I wish for those of us who can’t afford the current price of originals that we could have something like these original but modified instead of restoring from cut up kits.