Most Logical Presidential Candidate For This Board

QUOTE (hawksnest @ Mar 18 2007, 09:14 AM)
Does anyone know his position on the 2nd Amendemnt? Please post it.

Here's a piece of an article I read about Thompson a couple of days ago.

On the issues, Thompson said he:

_Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

_Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

_Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

_Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now," he said. "Why would we not take any chance, even though there's certainly no guarantees, to not be run out of that place? I mean, we've got to take that opportunity and give it a chance to work."

_Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

Now that the 2nd amendment question is answered the next one is- Can he raise the money to stick with guliani and Hillery-

Otherwise its sorta academic IMHO. Personally I don't want a RINO in the Whitehouse- had enough of that- LEt the Democrats have all the blame this time around

Fred Thompson is first-rate when it comes to the 2nd Amendment. For example, when he was a Senator here (TN), he sponsored an annual charity/celebrity skeet shoot. And it wasn't just a John Kerry-style photo op, the people involved really took it seriously.

I was always proud of him since instead of sponsoring a charity/celebrity golf match as most senators would do, he sponsored a shooting match.

He got well over 60% of the vote here in the most gun-friendly state in the US. (Our local liberal newspaper was whining that the NRA didn't need to have a lobbyist here because no gun control measures would ever even be brought up, much less have any chance of passing.)

Joel

(And in the spirit of this board, wouldn't it be nice to have a president named "Thompson"?)

I'm all for him. The elections are still some ways off. I'm hoping some of these others, both so called Republicans and Dems burn out by that time. If he wants it, I believe he will have a pretty good shot. He's certainly better than any other choices I've seen.....and it would be nice to have a president named after some of my favorite guns.

I can see the bumperstickers and t shirts now. Thompson owners for Thompson (for President)!

I like Fred Thompson.

Here is another guy you people may want to look at- Mike Huckabee.

He is the former Gov. of Arkansas. Ironically, he was born in Hope, AR like Klinton was.

I don't know enought to make any final conclusions on him, but he is very pro-2nd amendment.

Here's some a link to look at....http://gunowners.org/pres08/huckabee.htm

Norm

• 5 months later...

Fred is the only choice for any citizen who is interested in upholding whatever remains of the U.S. Constitution. Anyone with even a fair amount of education and knowledge of American history should realize it's in their best interest to make this man their candidate. NO HITLERY! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

Mike Hammer

Fred08 is a Thompson campaign site and I believe it is his "official" site.

I would love to see Newt as President, but I am not so thrilled about him as a candidate. Fred seems like the best shot. However, I caution people not to expect him to be the second coming of Ronald Reagan. If we set the bar that high, Fred will fail. RR had years of public policy debate; Fred's experience is more of an actor reading lines. No doubt his experience as a Senate staffer and Senator are good, but just not nearly to the degree that Ronald Maximus had prepared himself.

As to Rudy, I don't think he will be as bad on the 2nd amendment as people might fear. He also praised the judicial thinking of the DC Appeals Court and he will have to trim his sails to his (new) conservative base.

Fred08 is a Thompson campaign site and I believe it is his "official" site.

I would love to see Newt as President, but I am not so thrilled about him as a candidate. Fred seems like the best shot. However, I caution people not to expect him to be the second coming of Ronald Reagan. If we set the bar that high, Fred will fail. RR had years of public policy debate; Fred's experience is more of an actor reading lines. No doubt his experience as a Senate staffer and Senator are good, but just not nearly to the degree that Ronald Maximus had prepared himself.

As to Rudy, I don't think he will be as bad on the 2nd amendment as people might fear. He also praised the judicial thinking of the DC Appeals Court and he will have to trim his sails to his (new) conservative base.

Cal7, go to Fred's websight. he is a politician that dabbles in acting, not a actor that dabbles in politics. As he said "when doors open I walked threw them". As for the second amendment he makes RR look like a democrat. Fred has my support. It would serve us all well to make a donation to his campaign. Hell a box of ammo is $20.00 so I guess we all could afford that. BTW there is scuttlebutt that Newt would make a great running mate. Here is his Web Sight. http://www.fred08.com/Index.aspx

Bill Out

IMWITHFRED :D

I also like Tancredo who was talking about illegal immigration long before it was cool to the point of being told not to come back to the white house because of it, and Newt - but the media took care of his image after he helped bring about the revolution. Fred seems to have a good shot, especially considering he was #2 and #3 before entering the race. He subbed for Paul Harvey a few months ago and IMO said all the right things. I think he has the ability to bypass the media which will likely be necessary for any conservative to win.

"Does anyone know where the Dem candidates stand on the 2nd Amendment?"

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what most of them do; they stand ON it.

Well I asked the question because realistically, after what chuckle-nucks has done for the past several years; I stand a better chance for someone in PA stepping forward and trading any TSMG to me for my MG08/15 than we do seeing a Republican in office.

Your PhilOhio - which means your close enough to know the PA species...

You know that outside of PGH and Philly, City Of Brothers on Drugs, that we're solid pro-gun here and one of the truly free states - freer than good-ol-boy Alabama I'm sure. Schools close for opening day and our kids go deer hunting - in wheelchairs if they have to.

But we're also a Dem state. Losing all of our jobs to the in-the-bed-with-Corp-Amurika-party has done that.

We once had 2 Rep senators, but thanks to dip-shiit, we lost Santorum to a mannequin, and that thieving Soprano-cast-extra cast-off was re-elected Gov. :banghead:

Every state is losing Republicans thanks to numb-nuts. :angry:

And despite the Texas Tragedy in office, I'm still solid Repub, but the Little Mister and the Rep party hasn't shown me shiite.

Doing nothing and letting a ban sunset is NOT the same as PRO-ACTIVELY writing an Ex Order telling the ATF to eat shiite and die in terms of the 86 Ban or his daddy's 89 ban.

Thus; I'm wondering which of the evils is the lessor, so as to push their name in front of all of my Dem friends.