We Are Closing The Boards

Frank/Nick,

I am sorry to read about this. As a moderator on another board I know exactly what you go through with this. One of the tools we use on the board I moderate is to publish all hate mail for the group to read along with the writers name so every one will know who the jerk is. In small communities such as this such a tactic can work wonders.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't post here very often, but check in every day. If this site were to shut down, I wouldn't know where to turn for Thompson information. There are AR-15 sites, UZI sites, MAC sites, but this is the one and only Thompson site, dedicated to a classic piece of American iron. I appreciate the hard work it takes to maintain a site like this and the frustration caused by ungrateful idiots, but the solution is not to close the boards down.

The solution is to show the idiots the door.

There is another Thompson site, NFAtoys.com, but it doesn't have the same wealth of information and brotherhood shared here. The closing of this board would be a terrible loss to the NFA community as a whole and the Thompson collectors and fans specifically. I think it would be better to expose those very few who would disrupt the normal congeniality of the members here so that they may be properly ostracized by the community. Hope I spelled all those big words correctly. Edited by Jay Baker

I am suggesting to Nick that we shut down the boards...

Due to condescending messages like the one below, and constant complaints

about other members, postings, arguing etc. I regret to inform everyone that I am

suggesting to Nick that that we close down the all of the discussion boards

on this site.

Nick, for heavens sake keep them open. I have them linked to my email so that I do not miss a post. And in my humble opinion the camaraderie here by far outweighs the dissidents.

MY .02

Bill Out

Guys:

Please don't shut down this board....

It's one of the few that I belong to and the loss of it and the detailed info (along with a number of laughs) would be a terrible loss to the Pro-Gun community.

Thanks!

Jay

WTF!! I'm gone for surgery for a few days and I miss everything!

Frank, Nick, you wouldn't let one bad apple spoil the whole pot would you? If they don't like it, screw 'em, let them go somewhere else.

We're not here to make people happy and chipper. We're here to share info and BS with everyone.

...I once had a similar experience when Phil Ohio unleashed a insulting tirade on me for suggesting using WD40 for killing primers. ( Page 7, Post 25).

So I well know what your going thru. Such people are found everywhere...

Jim C

I was shocked that, under the hurtful circumstances motivating Frank to start this thread, there would be one person reading it and interpreting the tension as an opportunity to maliciously lie and author a fresh inflamatory post for no other apparent purpose but to spawn a new round of exactly the sort of strife which triggered Frank's great unhappiness in the first place. No reasonable person can read the above post in some other way.

I don't know who this person is, nor do I care, aside from seeing he is one of only a few examples of people whose access to the board should have been cut off long ago. He may be one of those who use several board identities. I suspect this one read Frank's thread and did some quick doctoring of old posts to craft a picture tailored for the occasion; note that he directs us to a specific page and post...I have no interest in any of it, beyond what I say here.

Frank,

I'll say it again. If nobody lifts a finger to quietly and firmly manage this board, to keep out the trouble makers who will otherwise be in your hair endlessly, contaminating the board, this is what happens. Even while we are lamenting it, and while all these nice folks are telling you how much they appreciate the board, and hope it survives, the few who cause you grief have a totally different thought process. They contribute nothing positive, but they will be there until they are quarantined. They live to foment trouble, for you, for me, for anybody within reach; for fun. They will never give you, or the rest of us, the option of ignoring them. So yes, I guess your choice is to see to it that the board(s) are managed fairly and firmly, or shut them down. They won't magically take care of themselves. It hasn't worked so far. That's why you are getting all the grief. Not one successful board on the Internet endures without its owner making an effective adult effort to preserve civility. It's so basic. This one is not going to be the first exception. Shutting down the board simply punishes all the good people who are on the receiving end of as much of this bad stuff as you are, or more. Go after the problem, not its victims. Kindly do us all that favor.

Frank/Nick,..I have benifitted greatly from this site,so I`m a bit selfish when I read your closing this site down.This forum gave me the impetus to open an 07/02 business.I understand the time requirements that would strain anyones` daily routine,but no single (ex)member should dictate closing this down,..I hope you reconsider.

WTF!! I'm gone for surgery for a few days and I miss everything!

Frank, Nick, you wouldn't let one bad apple spoil the whole pot would you? If they don't like it, screw 'em, let them go somewhere else.

We're not here to make people happy and chipper. We're here to share info and BS with everyone.

Sugery... :(

Everything OK!? :huh:

...I once had a similar experience when Phil Ohio unleashed a insulting tirade on me for suggesting using WD40 for killing primers. ( Page 7, Post 25).

So I well know what your going thru. Such people are found everywhere...

Jim C

I don't know who this person is, nor do I care, aside from seeing he is one of only a few examples of people whose access to the board should have been cut off long ago. He may be one of those who use several board identities. I suspect this one read Frank's thread and did some quick doctoring of old posts to craft a picture tailored for the occasion; note that he directs us to a specific page and post...I have no interest in any of it, beyond what I say here.

Phil you know exactly who "the person" is..... I've endured the same hate filled, curse laden emails.... I will have to say after warning him to not send me another he did back off. I have copies of all emails and postings, yes I cut and paste them all to a folder so that when they conveniently disappear I still have copies... From one member calling for a campaign to get me fired from my company, to being called a homosexual pedophile, fat and ugly was a term used once.... I have copies of the postings when two members were openly plotting to get me kicked off the boards. You know who those people are and for you to sit there all smug and indignant that such a thing could happen is a little disingenuous.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

I'm not at all surprised. I stopped participating on this board a long time ago, exactly because of all the flaming, arrogance and know-it-all attitudes being exposed. Running a board requires attention to what is going on, to me it seems like the admins haven't been doing their job. Too bad, because this board is also frequented by a lot of nice and knowledgeable people. I set up a Thompson board a year ago but out of respect for the Iannamicos I won't post the address here.

Balder

Well, I've attracted trouble sometimes, as I spoke out the obvious.

In this case, from the order how it was told to this board members, I would guess that Frank and Nick either stopped to enjoy to do the board, had no time left and better work to do, or there was a reasonable offer from the potential new owner. In the following the message was sent out "we close the boards because of a nasty message".

If other board owners, who have interest to keep their board going, would be disgruntled this easily, all boards would cease to exist.

Myself I consider me as unimportant with the few posts I had, but there are others who had many, many posts, and these folks were the ones keeping this board going, and these folks have imho earned the right to be treated more fair, i.e. get told the honest reasons.

Because of the above, there will be of course no change in mind neither with Nick, nor Frank, as the pretended reason is likely not the real reason. Doesn't matter how members are begging.

To Nick and Frank: I enjoyed your board as long I was here. And as you close it - I believe the members have still the wish to discuss this stuff, and therefor at least for me its obvious this discussion will go on, not here, but in another place.

Doesn't matter what you do.

Thanks for giving me some fun as long I was here.

Folks, was nice to meet some of you.

Ludwig

...You know who those people are and for you to sit there all smug and indignant that such a thing could happen is a little disingenuous...

Z3,

For me to know, and for me to guess or assume, are two different things. And I'm trying to be tactful and not add to the tension by being accusatory or giving somebody an excuse to start a new round of...the same old thing.

Using negative adjectives and little needles as above, or some other form of baiting, even low-key, is that "same old thing".

Other than this, you've been doing pretty well for awhile.

The board is getting off to what I hope everybody here regards as a fresh start, and takes advantage of in a positive way.

I sincerely hope the new management manages, which I think it will. It will be a first on this board. And I hope there will be zero tolerance of some of the things which went on here for years, ignored. I wouldn't mind seeing the famous Buddy monitor this board, with a large figurative club.

In this case, from the order how it was told to this board members, I would guess that Frank and Nick either stopped to enjoy to do the board, had no time left and better work to do, or there was a reasonable offer from the potential new owner. In the following the message was sent out "we close the boards because of a nasty message".

If other board owners, who have interest to keep their board going, would be disgruntled this easily, all boards would cease to exist.

+1 :agree:

I doubt that the one email posted was the "whole" reason for the change.... Hey maintaining something like these boards turn into a grind... And for the users of the boards, especially those that are non contributors financially, to complain about losing "our" forum is a bit high minded on our part. I used to be one of the heavier contributors but since one very nasty exchange where a board member attacked me for something I was selling, money going to Nick BTW, I haven't really contributed since.... I like Dalbert and look forward to seeing where it goes from here. I personally don't want to see the type of control that some on other boards use.... Loosely monitored boards mean abuse sometimes but that is a small price to pay free discourse.... Like others have said.... If it gets to rough take a time out, I'se done it several times in the past but don't give up on it.... What goes around always comes around......

Nick and Frank good luck with your endeavors and to your Mr. Dalbert here's to the "new" board!

You know, I'm a big fan of Robert Lee Ermey, only he don't know...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/choke_me_r_lee051508.jpg

For the contribution thing - I've sent 20 bucks and I can prove my bucks arrived, but never got my yellow 'Contributor' bar, as well got no reply to my complaint. It annoyed me and told me a lesson: 'don't do it here again'.

Enjoyed the board anyway, as the owner provides the means, but it's the members which fill it with enjoyable content.

And I can imagine it could be of some economical interest to attract such a (mostly) nice bunch of folks into a forum.

I don't worry about the board, it will subsist because of its members.

I doubt that the one email posted was the "whole" reason for the change.... Hey maintaining something like these boards turn into a grind... And for the users of the boards, especially those that are non contributors financially, to complain about losing "our" forum is a bit high minded on our part. I used to be one of the heavier contributors but since one very nasty exchange where a board member attacked me for something I was selling, money going to Nick BTW, I haven't really contributed since.... I like Dalbert and look forward to seeing where it goes from here. I personally don't want to see the type of control that some on other boards use.... Loosely monitored boards mean abuse sometimes but that is a small price to pay free discourse.... Like others have said.... If it gets to rough take a time out, I'se done it several times in the past but don't give up on it.... What goes around always comes around......

Nick and Frank good luck with your endeavors and to your Mr. Dalbert here's to the "new" board!

...I personally don't want to see the type of control that some on other boards use.... Loosely monitored boards mean abuse sometimes but that is a small price to pay free discourse....

I agree with you, that unreasonably tight control of a board is not a good thing, but I guess that depends on how I define "unreasonable". ...and how each of us defines a "loosely monitored board".

So if a board is going to be a happy and successful place, and if it is going to be loosely monitored, everything depends upon the individual good judgment of each member to do what is necessary to keep it that way. Nobody else should be allowed to participate or stay for any longer than it takes to identify the disqualifying trait.

Many of us stray way off topic now and then, because the type of folks who congregate here seem to enjoy similar things. I like that; makes it a comfortable, friendly place. It's been motorcycles, tractors, airplanes, women, the antigunners, and a long list of firearms-related subjects. But it's all in good humor and seems to be liked by most board members. I guess if board owners don't feel it overloads their server disks with junk, it's O.K.

In my opinion, "abuse" is another animal entirely. Not even the smallest amount of it is a tolerable price to pay for "free discourse". Nobody needs to put up with that anywhere on the Internet, nor should they. I'm not aware of one successful site where they do. "Abuse" does not include open debate of competing ideas and opinions. Questioning somebody's maximum load of Bullseye in a .45 ACP load is not abuse, or differing with his plans to send a Colt Thompson to the bumper re-plating factory. :ph34r:

But I think everybody here understands pretty closely where the line is. And it should not be crossed. The person who insists that it is his right to do it should be bounced from whatever forum is involved. It's that simple. He can do his abusive free discoursing among others willing to give it and receive it. I don't know of a place like that, where the windows don't have bars for members' 24-hour protection.

I think, and I hope, that we are going to see a board where abuse is not allowed to happen, along with either subtle or heavy-handed attempts to initiate strife among members. It's just about fun, and should be. The only fair targeting which doesn't bother me would be directed toward dictatorial antigunners who are hell-bent on snuffing out our innocent fun, or people supporting the replacement of our fuddy-duddy Constitution with one co-written by Barak and Hillary. ;)

...You know who those people are and for you to sit there all smug and indignant that such a thing could happen is a little disingenuous...

Z3,

For me to know, and for me to guess or assume, are two different things. And I'm trying to be tactful and not add to the tension by being accusatory or giving somebody an excuse to start a new round of...the same old thing.

Using negative adjectives and little needles as above, or some other form of baiting, even low-key, is that "same old thing".

Other than this, you've been doing pretty well for awhile.

The board is getting off to what I hope everybody here regards as a fresh start, and takes advantage of in a positive way.

I sincerely hope the new management manages, which I think it will. It will be a first on this board. And I hope there will be zero tolerance of some of the things which went on here for years, ignored. I wouldn't mind seeing the famous Buddy monitor this board, with a large figurative club.

You really can't, not play the game can you? I do not now, in the past, or in the future, seek your acceptance/approval for my actions on this board. There are no hidden agendas in my post I only speak of the "facts" of past actions. If you would like I could post all the things you have said about me in the past..... At least I admit to being a message board jerk on occasion...... btaim It is time for new beginnings and let the past be the past...... As for tight controls...... Be careful of what you ask for, you may regret it....

Final post on this subject.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

I think that the responses to your idea of closing down the boards show that there are several of us that enjoy using this site, and look forward to hearing from others with much more experience on the topics. I for one have saved at least two thousand dollars by using this site...I was going to buy some thompson drums...posted the pics of what was offered and found out that they were west hurley drums. Please keep those of us that qualify as "novices" in mind before you close up the site. I have learned quite a bit of valuable information from the site...there are some things that you just can't learn in books !! Thanks for listening.

artie in miami

registered "Novice" !!!

You really can't, not play the game can you? I do not now, in the past, or in the future, seek your acceptance/approval for my actions on this board. There are no hidden agendas in my post I only speak of the "facts" of past actions. If you would like I could post all the things you have said about me in the past..... At least I admit to being a message board jerk on occasion...... btaim It is time for new beginnings and let the past be the past...... As for tight controls...... Be careful of what you ask for, you may regret it....

Final post on this subject.

:rolleyes: :blink: :lol:

My vote (if there is one for folks who have contributed to this website with our time and/or money)is to suggest to keep this open and take a 100%, zero tolerance to bullshit. Don't follow the rules - time out once only for members, followed by a permanent ban for second strike members or first time offenders who are non-paying members. The forum rules are clear and we don't have room or bandwidth to waste on internet tough guys when it comes to our guns. :)

Without this forum, I never would have met, interacted with, learned from and/or done business with a bunch of the finest people who share similar interests for a wide variety of things. PK, Dan, Roland, Phil, Ron, John Jr, Norm, Arthur, Z3, et al.- it wouldn't be the same without you.

I certainly hope the decision is not taken lightly, but as stated, it is your site to do with as you wish... but I hope you both as the owners understand what this community means to us and how much of a hole it would leave if the forums were no longer available for us. Please don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch!

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris

Chris, maybe you don't get it, Frank and Nick have their reasons and already made up their mind to pull out of this forum. That's why you'll not be able to convince one of them of the contrary. Imho the bull posters are not at all the main reason, I'd dare to say that the agreement with Dave existed already, before the message went out 'we close the boards'. Gave me kind of a feeling to get treated like a foolish school kid again, and I'm longtime out of this age.

Besides that 'taste', I would simple take it like that: Nick and Frank held up the forum as long as they felt able, for that they have earned a big thank you. Now they won't do it anymore, but it only changes and it will not die.

I doubt it would die at all, there is too much interest and too many members for this matter, even if this board would close, they would regroup elsewhere.

The rules are the rules. But depending how tight or loose they are interpreted it's more fun or not. I try to be as kind as possible and always (honestly: mostly) imagine the other poster personally in front of me. Don't write here, what you would not dare say eye to eye. But sometimes I make a mistake, like everybody, and I don't like immediate 'punishment' then. A poster constantly going against the rules should be warned and kicked out if a warning doesn't work. And bull happens and sometimes it's fun to read. Nothing more fun than a good fight :D

>Edited to decrease grammatical errors at least a bit... :rolleyes: <

My vote (if there is one for folks who have contributed to this website with our time and/or money)is to suggest to keep this open and take a 100%, zero tolerance to bullshit. Don't follow the rules - time out once only for members, followed by a permanent ban for second strike members or first time offenders who are non-paying members. The forum rules are clear and we don't have room or bandwidth to waste on internet tough guys when it comes to our guns. :)

Without this forum, I never would have met, interacted with, learned from and/or done business with a bunch of the finest people who share similar interests for a wide variety of things. PK, Dan, Roland, Phil, Ron, John Jr, Norm, Arthur, Z3, et al.- it wouldn't be the same without you.

I certainly hope the decision is not taken lightly, but as stated, it is your site to do with as you wish... but I hope you both as the owners understand what this community means to us and how much of a hole it would leave if the forums were no longer available for us. Please don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch!

Chris.

Edited by Ludwig