Colt 1927 Semi

So, the following could be said, with some authority and general consensus:

The 1927 is the rarest PRODUCTION MODEL with the 1927/28 over stamp probably being the rarest variant of said model. If you place it under the 1928 model then the 1927A would be rarest variant of the 1927 production model.

The 1928 as a PRODUCTION MODEL, of this model the 1928A1, 1928 with offset swivels (horizontal fore grip), 1928A with offset swivels (horizontal fore grip), or possibly the 1927/28 conversion would also be in contention for the rarest variant for this model.

A 1928A1 resides with a friend in Tempe, AZ in an original home guard/lend lease case with original contents, this is the only one of these I have seen.

A 1928A with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels resides with a friend here in PA, this is the only one of these I have seen.

Both 1927/28 conversions that are known to exist reside with a friend in Phoenix,AZ and I have had the opportunity to examine both at length, very interesting guns, certainly the only two that I have seen.

I have a, what I will now refer to as a “standard”, 1928N with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels, I have seen several of these, there by removing it from the running for the rarest variant of the 1928 production model.

There are posts in this topic that indicate other 1928A1 models have been seen, more than 1 or 2, there by removing them from the running as well.

We are now left with the 1928A and the 1927/28 conversion, since the conversion started life as a 1921 then a 1927 I put it in the 1927 category and listed it at the rarest variant of said model. If you place it under the 1928 model then, if more than 1 1928A existed, we would have a winner, but for the purpose of this post it is listed as a 1927.

Leaving us with a 1928A with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels as the rarest variant of the 1928 production model.

Now obviously there are prototypes, 1923 models, but I only focused on production models being 1921,1927,and 1928.

Bill, your 1927A 5066 is alive and well with me. I will post a photo of it in its case if I can figure out how.

I am curious as to others opinions of the above.

Brian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the following could be said, with some authority and general consensus:

The 1927 is the rarest PRODUCTION MODEL with the 1927/28 over stamp probably being the rarest variant of said model. If you place it under the 1928 model then the 1927A would be rarest variant of the 1927 production model.

The 1928 as a PRODUCTION MODEL, of this model the 1928A1, 1928 with offset swivels (horizontal fore grip), 1928A with offset swivels (horizontal fore grip), or possibly the 1927/28 conversion would also be in contention for the rarest variant for this model.

A 1928A1 resides with a friend in Tempe, AZ in an original home guard/lend lease case with original contents, this is the only one of these I have seen.

A 1928A with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels resides with a friend here in PA, this is the only one of these I have seen.

Both 1927/28 conversions that are known to exist reside with a friend in Phoenix,AZ and I have had the opportunity to examine both at length, very interesting guns, certainly the only two that I have seen.

I have a, what I will now refer to as a “standard”, 1928N with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels, I have seen several of these, there by removing it from the running for the rarest variant of the 1928 production model.

There are posts in this topic that indicate other 1928A1 models have been seen, more than 1 or 2, there by removing them from the running as well.

We are now left with the 1928A and the 1927/28 conversion, since the conversion started life as a 1921 then a 1927 I put it in the 1927 category and listed it at the rarest variant of said model. If you place it under the 1928 model then, if more than 1 1928A existed, we would have a winner, but for the purpose of this post it is listed as a 1927.

Leaving us with a 1928A with horizontal fore grip and offset sling swivels as the rarest variant of the 1928 production model.

Now obviously there are prototypes, 1923 models, but I only focused on production models being 1921,1927,and 1928.

Bill, your 1927A 5066 is alive and well with me. I will post a photo of it in its case if I can figure out how.

I am curious as to others opinions of the above.

Brian

This was a great discussion. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a board only devoted to Thompson Colt 1927s. As I understand the situation yhere was only a limited conversion of these models and the BATFE has 7 and maybe the prison system destroyed theirs. I really enjoyed this whole postings.

Brian,

I believe you are right on point.

The Model of 1923 was certainly an actual model of the Thompson gun. AOC made a big attempt to market this gun as sales were flat with the Model of 1921's. Remember, there was no A or AC designation in 1923 because the compensator was not introduced until 1926. There are several variations of the Model of 1923. Some have even gone as far as describing these variations as different models, but I disagree with those conclusions. It appears the variations were just AOC attempting to find a combination that someone wanted and more importantly, would purchase. This never happened and AOC moved on. The few known Model of 1921's converted to a Model of 1923 Thompson are found in different places throughout the world. All known examples do not show any evidence that AOC altered the Model of 1921 markings. One would assume that this would have occurred had a large order been received and this model would have been standardized as a production model. I believe this model still warrants a lot of research. As to the number in existence, my guess is less than 10.

The Model of 1927 is certainly the rarest production model in terms of number. As a rule, it is the highest priced of all the Thompsons guns available for purchase. Gordon Herigstad lists 80 Model of 1927 serial numbers in his book. The information comes from ATF correspondence to J. Curtis Earl many years ago. This is probably the best information available on this model. The exact number produced or converted is unknown, but it is very likely more than 80 were built and sold. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever seen a Model of 1927 outside the USA. Did AOC market this model outside the USA?

This is a great thread.

All,

I just added this thread to the TSMG Reference Thread Index, with a direct link located within the pinned post at the top of the board. I think this thread has a lot of good, specific information that will be useful in the future.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Wanted to mention also that the more rare 1927A was just an option to buy the gun without the compensator. I have one that Camden, NJ PD owned, and was told by Gordon that all three that they had were 27A's, and were ordered that way to save money. I have included a few pictures below, I believe my dad or a previous owner blued the milled out areas on the receiver on the lower, most owners have told me that theirs is in the white. The 320 stamp was the PD's inventory number.

Thanks!

Rob

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ph...nt=DSC_0029.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ph...nt=DSC_0019.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ph...nt=DSC_0017.jpg

All,

I just added this thread to the TSMG Reference Thread Index, with a direct link located within the pinned post at the top of the board. I think this thread has a lot of good, specific information that will be useful in the future.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave

I can't find the link to this thread in the "TSMG Reference Thread Index."

Greg Fox

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Only had two of them in 35 years, and seen about six other's.they are a rare variation.the one I did sell is probably still in pa, the other in va.both 95% cond. the first one was a doozy of a Chicago p.d. dept story...COLT 21a Edited by colt21a

I bought my 1927AC in the mid 1980's and the one now for sale at $65,000 are the only ones I seem to recall being up for sale. I admit I do not see see all possible "for sale" ads but it seems to me it is a pretty rare model. In my mind when AO devoted separate pages to the 1927 in their brochures and ads that makes it a separate model, at least in my mind. A 1927 is stamped "model of 1927", not "variation of 1927" My 2cents worth.