Shotgun News

I heard there is an $80,000 TSMG for sale in Shotgun News. Something about a bank vault TSMG, I am not sure.

Not being a subscriber I can not confirm.

If anyone here has a copy and noted this, it would be appreciated if that board member could put the copy of the ad on this board.

I tried the online SN with no luck.

thanks

michael

I saw the ad & I think it was in the issue just before the 20 th. of Nov. issue. I also saw one for $200,000 in the same issue (can't quite remember why it was so special. But I can go out & SHOOT my W.H. TSMG & have "FUN" with it! I wouldn't try it with the other two Thompsons mentioned. My 2 cents worth). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Brent

Edited by must

Hi, It was my ad (and gun). It is easier to copy/paste

the ad order than scan the ad. It showed in military/automatic weapons a week ago.

COLT THOMPSON 1921/28N, 99.9% near MINT (for real!) this is the famous Texas bank vault gun listed in numerous books. SN-6164, certainly among the top couple, if not the finest in existance.

Realistically priced at $79K OBO . FBI case and drums available.

M2HB .50 CAL BMG, Group plate- Ramo assembled, 500 rounds, as new, tripod and accessories, $23.5K. MP5SD, HTA conversion, accessories,

$14K. Reducing collection, all transferable. 770-459-4528, email : wafatlanta@yahoo.com (End ad.)

(The Thompson 6164 has been viewed by many famous Thompson experts, and all agree on it's condition.) I have been advised by a couple quality dealers/collectors that this is the price they would ask for the gun, the price is negotiable to a serious buyer. Not interested in sending photos to someone who has no interest in purchase. The gun was purchased new by The First National Bank Of San Angelo, Texas, untouched until late 60's. Any blemishes almost need a microscope to see, 4 drums test fired only. Everyone who sees the gun says: "WOW" -- "Jes## Chr##"--"Holy Sh##" (Not my words) but the gun does take your breath away and near stops your heart when you first see it. Everyone I've talked to who has a "mint" gun after serious questioning does not come within a mile of this gun, not even close. I'm not interested in a contest to see who has the nicest Colt Thompson (might be interesting) I'm just selling the gun. If serious, contact me for further details. Regards

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Nov 19 2006, 12:20 AM)
Your price will certainly keep the tire kickers away.   http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

KICK! KICK! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I want to see pictures of it just for the sake of seeing it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif

Afterall, a Thompson in that condiotn would be truely one-of-a-kind.

If you find a lost Rembrant or Picaso, the world should get to see it (even if they can't own it.)

Norm

PhilOhio,

Answers to your questions:

Yes, I am the owner, (it is in my posession as well.)

DOCUMENTED history? In my posession as well.

It is well known the original purchaser (bank) I have a copy of the transfer from the bank to the sherriffs office Pasadena, Tx, from the head cashier to a detective on form 5 dated 1967, form 4 to another officer 1980, then finally me 1988 on a form 4 in 1988, so here we are today.

Bank --about 40 years, detective-- about 12 years (unfired in cosmoline to this point) another officer---8 years, myself-- 18 years.

I guess I have everything except the original invoice (that'd be rare) but you'll see it listed in books as the bank as the original purchaser.

No-- I'm not a dealer, I'm a Collector, have a lot of NFA's-- this will be the first one I've ever sold unless the M2HB beats it.

Where since the 60's? Unbroken paperwork chain listed above.

No mystery here, a lot of well known people in the gun business know me and that I own the gun, I showed it off about 15 years ago at Knob Creek and it's not been hidden or just discovered.

No Photos? I guess that's not practical in Shotgun News (first exposure.)

I've just returned from a trip and have a lot to catch up on, subsequently in a week or so I will have my company's photo expert shoot some pro digitals for listing on the Strom site and sub-guns also.

I just happened to run across where someone here was asking about my ad in SGN, so I thought I'd sign in and respond.

Photos will appear on those sites (above) when I have time to list it (in the very near future.) To show great detail, I'll probably have to do a CD also because the files get so large in extreme detail and large format.

NORM : I'll be sure to link you so you can get your photo.

Maybe someone will jump on it and make me an offer I can't refuse before I have to go through the pains of listing it, lota stuff I've collected as well could go with it, real (nice) FBI case, L drums, acessories, books.

Funny nobody asks the most important question when dealing with a gun listed as NEAR MINT.

That is : OK, the gun is listed as 99.9%, let's assume EVERYTHING is PERFECT, just tell me what the other 1/10% is NOT PERFECT.

I will list those minuscule details in great detail when I list the gun on those sites with photos (It certainly was not practical to do so in SGN.)

My hat's off to you enthusists and collectors of Thompsons, I'm one of you,

I've certainly enjoyed owning this one, now it's time to pass it on.

PS: I paid 3 times the going rate of any Thompson when I bought it, and waited a long number of years finding one of this caliber (pun intended.)

PHIL: your other question regarding J. Curtis Earl, no - I can see no paperwork where he was involved. Roger Cox and Tracie hill did not know it's whereabouts until I purchased it back in '88. I wish I could show it to ya'll in person-- if you like Thompsons-- it will stop your heart when you first see it.

Best regards to everyone here on the forum.

Bill

Guys-- Thanks for the kind words.

Re: last comment: "I wish every owner/seller of a Thompson realized that there is no need to deal with some of the questionable people trying to make a quick killing on these transactions. "

I got a real lesson when I made a list of al those dealers who advertised " I want to buy your machine guns, especially Thompsons-- overnight cash, bla, bla."

I considered wholesaling it but after the first half dozen calls, soon realized that NONE of them could afford/ or would offer like : 18K for a nice Colt or 30K for the most perfect Colt in the world.

One dealer stated HE had THE nicest Colt in EXISTANCE (period) in his vault and would sell for $75k. When I described #6164 in great detail, then asked how it compaired with his gun, he said --"ahh, err, sounds like yours is a LOT nicer than mine.

Yet wasn't in a position to offer $30K because it would take up too much of his working capitol. ????? That was typical of most I contacted.

The only "gentleman" I talked with was Vito of (like) Fine Guns in south Florida who advised me on the value, said it may do best at auction, furnished phone #'s and people to contact, said he would consign the gun, market it at $79K and take $10K handling.

I thought that was reasonable. He said it may take six months to a year to move, but somehow I just feel a little uncomfortable transfering the gun to someone for an extended period like that, just too much could happen and then where would I be?

SELLERS ???? Worse yet ! I've contacted several offering mint/ near mint/ almost perfect/ exceptionally nice Colts. Except when you ask them to describe every detail of what is NOT perfect, and keep pressing them, the condition rapidly deteriorates to to like in the lower 90's%. A nice gun is a nice gun, near mint is a different category.

The Thompson advertised in Shotgun News (still currently) and mentioned by another member above for $200,000.00 (Two hundred thousand dollars) in 99.9% condition???

I spent weeks trying to contact him, when I finally got him, asked serious questions, it seems to me to be like a seriously bad joke (have to be carefull about legal liable.)

I know the serial # of his gun and can give all the details of my encounter if ya'll are interested, let me know and I'll do a post.

I guess if anybody's interested-- I could post some photos of my #6164 when I take them this week. I could do a FYI post with some help (posting photos above my pay grade) or email them to someone who could post. Let me know if anybody is interested and I'd be happy to oblige-- there will be a couple on Strom site and Sub-Guns soon.

Regards, Bill

billatlanta,

Just from the above posts you have managed to leave Colt TSMG #167, the supposed #1 best condition example in existence as voted by TCN, in the dust. Amazingly, the Douglas Rimfire Productions video gave #167 only a cursory examination with zero camera shots showing any detail.

#6164 was also voted "mint condition" in the same 1991 TCN . But for some reason it never achieved the "cult" status of #167. Posting pics of #6164 would not only serve the purpose of selling it, but they would be an invaluable contribution to the TSMG collector world. #6166 might serve as a touchstone for grading the condition of other high end Colt TSMG's.

I concur with Arthur. This does sound like the most absolutely original Colt T-gun known. Yes, please post photos for all of us.

Arthur, you are correct about #167 and the Rimfire Video. At the time we were producing this video, I sent my man to Ohio to film some stuff for the video, and he was able to get a cursory shot of #167. Also, in the editing process of all our "out takes" some of the footage my have been dropped. It took some real doing to keep the video to the Two-hour limit that our commercial processors said we had to do.

I'd REALLY REALLY like to see professional photos of the above Colt. It could very well set the benchmark for all "grading of Colt Thompsons."

See how much fun this board can be...!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL.

Well then i guess it's safe to say there still is a few more "Colt" classic minty thompson's out there, it seem's every five year's or so some more turn up..that make's about twenty in my book of trully great 98% plus gun's.

so maybe another 20 or more out there or maybe 30....

out of 125 i've had ten i would consider 98% or better...

so this tell's me of all the "Thompson " guy's out there.more still do exist. RARE? nope just really scarce!!

glad another turned up, take care,Ron

P.S. and that still give's hope for somebody to own a really nice one.oh yes with the really deep wallet.

good luck in the sale.

WOW !!

Thanks guys, I'm really getting enlightened here.

With all this said now, perhaps it would be in order for me to go ahead and describe the condition in great detail so that you who are knowledgeble can weigh in and compare 6164 with those of your experience.

Let me preface by stating that I have a reputation of being a near perfectionist and too critical in some respects. In the 1960's I worked as a

quality control inspector on a nuclear powered rocket engine project for Westinghouse Nuclear, and headed up pre-operational inspection. Also 30 years producing parts for Rolls-Royce cars and am among the few rated by the Rolls-Royce factory as "Quality self assured" ie receiving inspection not required. I'm critical but realistic.

Colt 6164 has always been known to be "MINT" and unfired and in cosmoline from the bank through the Sheriff's office until purchased by the detective in 1980. He states that he cleaned the cosmoline and fired 2 L drums through it. (I believe it because I just removed a little more cosmoline from the Lyman sight area just last week-2006) When I received the gun I took the local Police Chief to a field where we shot a few of my guns and he ran 1 drum through it and I ran another. Another at Knob Creek which I'll describe later.

I hate to describe the gun because it takes a long time to get through all that is perfect, but unless you state it-- it leaves question.

All the wood--perfect PERFECT, no nicks, no scratches, no dents, no refinish no loss of finish, no whatevers, original oiled and waxed walnut--truely stunningly beautifull.

Bore-- 100% perfect.

Mechanical--original perfect with the early converted welded weight bolt before they made the heavier style, which I'm sure you're all familiar with.

Of course it is a 21/28N Navy overstamp.

The blued overall finish--here's the critical one, first the close examination defects then on to everything else is perfect.

It is known that the Bank purchased the gun and kept it in their vault (probably in case Bonnie & Clyde wanted to make a large withdrawl.)

Also not too smart because they never cleaned the cosmoline and most likely didn't have anyone who knew how to load/shoot it.

However--It appears that it was stood up in a corner down through 30+ years sometimes on it's buttstock and a couple times on it's compensator.

The compensator when examined closely may show a few very small scratches at the very end, again you have to look closely. No "muzzle blast" can be seen.

The buttstock plate--- there is evedience that the gun was stood up on a surface, and a few scratches are noticable. They are not extreme or overly distracting, most all of the blueing remains, you need to look right at the buttstock to even see them, they will show in close up photos, may not show if taken from normal distance.

(The buttstock is about the worst of it.) A couple people have suggested getting a new NOS one and replacing it-- but I'm not into that-- the gun is what it is and doesn't need to be "made up." Right???

Same could be said for the compensator--but that is hardly noticable.

On the right side of the gun there is something like a rocker clip that is removed when disassembling the gun.

Just next to the clip is a tiny scratch, it is a half circle about the size of the end of a cigarette only half circle. It is maybe not even through the bluing but visable if you hold the gun in a certain light. It's pretty obvious to me the officer slipped with a screwdriver when cleaning the gun, again hardly noticable.

Lastly-- the blueing is so beautifull and perfect all over, when taken outside and held at at an exact angle in sunlight--on the right side I can barely see the most miniscule scratches running up and down on the right side that would look as if the gun was placed on a wooded surface and moved.

Those are so small that when I showed it to a M/G gunsmith (showing off)

last month-- he could not even see them no matter how hard he tried.

Being nearsighted--when I take off my glasses I can read close right off the chart bottom of the eye doctor, even currency micro print.

Overall finish--deep and absolutely stunning all over--- edgeware : can't see any, all edges dark, clean bright, rust--none, pits---none.

The fire selector knobs-- you can see where one has been rotated, small semi-circle scratch on the body-- but again not through the blue and hardly noticable.

Under the actuator knob at top on the body you can see where it has been fired only a few times, showing extremely small loss of color.

THAT'S IT !!

WOW!! The gun's starting to sound like a junker---maybe I should just sell it for parts !!!

Not really--I'm just being super critical--- it's stunningly beautifull, I love to show it to those familiar with Thompsons---and stand by with CPR.

I could probably find fault with a new one right out of the box saying it was mishandled at the factory or damaged in delivery.

Lastly, when I received the gun in '88 it had two drums run through it, my thinking is that if you can't enjoy it why have it?

When I took it to Knob Creek 10+ years ago I let my friend Rick Cartledge, who is a major writer for Small Arms Review, History Channel contributor on machine guns, probably Thompson expert-- shoot it from a wheel chair, he loved it and I have a photo of him grinning from ear to ear.

I also met Tracie hill, nice guy, writer/thompson expert. He examined the gun and when I offered to let him shoot it-- he became outwardly INFURIATED with me blurting out "people like you should not own a gun like this" "what are you doing ??? You're destroying a piece of history !!! "People like you have money, buy a gun like that, and you just shoot it!!

He made it obvious that he was not interested in speaking with me after that. I respectfully disagree with him on that position.

I would expect that the new owner may chose to very carefully and minimally shoot the gun / or not--their choice.

Photos to be shot with a pro Nikon digital, special macro and normal lenses, pro lighting & sunlight. I think the res is so high making the file so large that some emails can only do one photo--so may copy several to cd for you guys interested.

I didn't mean to go on and on-- but you guys are egging me on with more info when you respond. I'm new to the board, but I guess that's what it's for---exchanging info on Thompsons.

Again, best regards and thanks to those who have responded.

Bill

PS; The gunsmith(s) who examined it recently stated that a product like Flitz could be used on a wheel and those micro scratches could sucessfully be buffed out (perfectly.) Again-- I'm not into letting someone start buffing on the factory blue, I don't think it prudent.

Roger Cox in his book on Thompsons gives his description of MINT as worse than this. I think Mint is mint, and agree with him maybe none exist.

But now Ya'll raise the question --- Is a nicer one KNOWN to exist?????

I've heard rumors, bla,bla, but I suspect if a better one exists (legally) someone would show it off and ya'll would know about it.

bill have to locate# 6011 and #3298 and i'll have a few other number's up later.mostly 21 'as and a 21ac and overstamp...this was stuff i owned personally so i can vouch for them..sound's like a nice one...how would you like to see one with no actuator wear, selector wear or pivot plate mark's..eric in n.y. know's all about those two.also my old "Mason city" iowa bank robbery gun was a real nice one.fully documented when Johnny D. robbed the bank in march, "34"

the one you have sounds like a nice one... take care,ron

p.s.i have my own serial list of nice stuff also.i've not seen them all ,but one heck of alot in 35 year's.

billatlanta,

Sounds like a top-shelf gun.

If the wood is as perfect as you say, there would many people here intrested in very good pictures (of the wood.)

The original finish on the wood has been a much talked about subject in the past. Since this gun is so close to being NIB, this would be the best example to go by.

Honestly, it sounds like a museum piece. I hope the person who buys it TRULEY understands that just how "one-of-a-kind" this gun is.

Norm

NORM

Sure, I'd be happy to oblidge, that's the least I can do to help.

When you see me post a couple photos here-- email me @wafatlantaspam@yahoo.com (remove spam) and I will arange to get a whole series of the wood for you. I will take more than you can use and in high deffinition, it will probably have to go on a CD.

I will remember your request when shooting so when you see a couple photos, yours specifically, will be done and ready. If space on the CD I'll add some general shots as well.

The wood apears to be "oiled Walnut", like they used to rub linseed oil on and buff. The finish comes out pretty shiney BUT the grain is not totaly filled, so you can see grain but overall pretty nice and shiney, thus sealed against the elements. Example: the old "Lane" hope chests and coffee tables--very attractive, but not sealed with lacquer/varnish or (of course) Polyurethane as used today.

My antique expert friend recommended "Howard Feed-N-Wax" wood preserver, it contains: Beeswax, Carnuba Wax, orange oil and (quote) "enhances the natural beauty and depth of grain in unfinished and finished furniture, does not contain silicones or linseed oil. prevents further drying and deterioration."

Plus gives a beautifull shine, anyone in the antique business will be very familiar with this, and all would highly recommend (if they don't mind divulging their secrets.) They have a full line of products, I've seen this on Ebay also, maybe $7.50/ 8 oz.

This product couldn't come with higher recommendations and a long history, especialy used on priceless antiques.

As usual-- I've probably given more info than needed, but if you have a problem locating it, let me know and I can easily steer you where to obtain it. Everyone in the business calls it Howard's but technically it is Howard without the 's.

Bill

PS: Without question, the Colts came with a high grade buffed shine, unlike many of the military I've seen NOS, oiled but hardly no shine, understandibly cranked out quickly for the war effort.

billatlanta,

One would expect to see some signs of handling, faint scratches, selector switch pivot wear, and some degree of darkening to the wood from oils and exposure to light. Even cosmoline would not prevent some oxidation on blued metal after 85 years.

Is there any oxidation behind the frame grip where the hand comes in contact with the metal?

Aside from the pivot plate scratch, amazing that it escaped the usual Sheriff/PD telltale scratch on the bottom of the frame by the serial number, usually the result of an armorer over tightening the buttstock latch screws until they protruded from a flush position.

Signs of storage wear on the buttstock plate, and, or, the Cutts muzzle also adds credibility to where the TSMG spent most of its days.

Ronald,

You are no doubt correct that examples of 98% Colt TSMG's may not be "rare," but merely "scarce." Who knows what examples may still turn up in the future. This is why the TCN appellation "#1 condition Colt TSMG in the U.S." was, and is, more hyperbole than actuality. Who was even aware of this 1991 "contest" at the time? However, as the prices continue to rise and some previously MIA Colt TSMG turns up for sale in "NIB" condition, that should peg anyone's cynicism meter.

I guess the relevance for today's collector is the truly "mint" example whose history and condition can be documented with detailed pics for all to see. While imagination and memory are perhaps the most cherished emotions of humans, they are a poor substitute for tangible objective comparisons.

October 1971,

When can be expect the Rimfire Productions Colt TSMG DVD with outtakes and bloopers?

Fantastic gun, indeed.

Just like in car collecting, some cars will always hold their value and be way ahead of the market. This certianly sounds like one.

Sell it - if you need/want to - and let the market determine it's value. But as Phil O said - do you really need to? I would say this one is only going up and up...

But if you want to shoot it, I salute you. I believe we should shoot these guns, but of course I have never and will never afford to own one in the condition described.

Maybe you can post some pics on a host site - like photobucket - an dwe can see few pics here?

Thanks again for sharing!

Arthur, Phil, Mike

Thanks again for your insights, I agree 100%

You have raised the question of why would I sell such a gun?

An old expression I've learned down through the years that I

have been known to say frequently:

"Whenever you think you're a big shot----- somebody will show you

that you're NOT !! "

That said, the money that I would receive from this gun would mean little if anything to me. If I used the money to purchase something else--- it would only become a burdon, I've simply acquired too much stuff in my life.

Buy another Ferrari or Rolls-Royce? Been there done that, an 8 to 10 thousand dollar regular service is not uncommon. (Really !) If you have 12 cars-- do you need a 13th? Three firetrucks--- think I should look for another? I won't even get into other collectables.

The bottom line is -- I need to lighten up !!

I've reached a point in my life, age and health considering, that I am no longer able to even "visit" (use) some of what I've acquired. It's to the point that I have to pay an employee to oversee stuff I don't have time to look at.

Example: I recently paid an employee to go to Sam's Club and buy about $1,000.00 worth of batteries to install in vehicles due to their lack of use.

Note: Just one of Jay Leno's vehicles is probably worth more than my entire LIFE!!

Machine guns? I've got too many (but not near that large collection posted.)

I've got another Colt Thompson 21A that I may/or may not sell, but next in line is my M2HB Browning .50 cal, it's simply too much of a chore to shoot/carry around, I've enjoyed it, but now it has become a burdon.

MP5SD? Gota go ! it's Like as much fun as sqirting a garden hose, no noise/no kick back--boring, almost "girley man" gun.

6164 ? I've enjoyed it IMMENSELY! It's been my pride and joy. I can't tell you the number of times that I've been around serious gun people and said: " Wana see something that'll knock your socks off?" and as I unwrap it from towels gets the responses I mentioned previously, Nobody want's to touch it--I say: "Go ahead, pick it up--I'll wipe it off later." Then they listen in awe as I relate the story of how the bank had it in the vault unfired, bla,bla.

It's been my darling for over 18 years, maybe time to pass it on to someone who will enjoy and treasure it as much if not more than I have.

When you own a gun of this caliber (again, pun intended) it can be a highlight in your life, it has been one of mine. Even Roger Cox could not locate a gun like this for me in the '70's-- I was fortunate, and I'm gratefull that I've been able to enjoy it for nearly 2 decades.

Lastly: I'm closer to the bottom of the wealth scale than the top-- It's all relative (just ask my relatives.) An incident about 30 years ago taught me a lesson. I invited a sweet young honey to ride in my Ferrari, out to the airport for a little ride in my twin engine plane, from Atlanta to Birmingham, about a half hour, over to have coffee with her Mom, who we just called and arranged on my portable telephone. Pretty impressive, huh? Well, as I was taxing out to the runway--the control tower radioed me to move over to another taxiway so that another taxing jet would not blow me over with his exhaust. It was Mr. W.T. Barfield (carpet fame) taxing in his personal AIRLINER off to New York. His ONE trip to N.Y. probably waisted more money than my entire life was worth !!

I just feel fortunate having to be able to own and enjoy 6164.

Bill

Fellow Collectors

Here's a scarey thought that has run through my mind:

What would happen if the FIRST celeberty/ sports figure/ REAL wealthy person acquired their first full auto, shot and enjoyed it, and showed it to their FRIENDS ?????

I suspect I know what would happen, I've seen it before.

Your nice interesting Thompson, in short time would bottom out at like 50K and go to100~200, who knows.

I saw a dot com jerk bid $4,000 for a toy car that was worth like 10 bucks to the knowledgable collector. The second rich jerk was sorry he missed it at $3900.

Say a famous quarterback, or Shaq O'neal (now an honorary Polive officer, I believe) was seen at a firing range and a paparazzi got a short video of him running an L drum through his Tommy gun--- then on nightly news and blogs ?????

Pop Diddey and the boys would have to have six each (if they could own legally.) Yo, lookie here at this gold plated one I got for 200, they told me Al Capone owned it!

I saw a sports figure walk away from a $400K deposit on a house, his girl friend didn't like it--no biggie, just get another one.

Years ago, I showed off my nice Thompson to an extremely wealthy individual who invited me to identify for him 5 cars he just acquierd for his 500 car collection (he didn't even know what they were--he just bought them because he liked them--one ended up extremely rare.) After seeing 6164 he asked what it would be worth. I told him it would be expensive, but require being registered. He left, his agent approached me and said he was authorized to give me 100K if I would leave it there. I explained that it was registered to me, and had to be registered to the buyer--only way.

His agent said he didn't want to fool with the government, but he could get 150K cash from the office safe if I changed my mind. That was 10 + years ago--I still have the gun.

Hopefully, for awhile, our relatively secret passion will remain obscure.

Hope they keep buying ''57 Chevys, corvettes, muscle cars for a couple hundred- that'll keep them occupied. How about a hundred fifty MILLION for a Picasso at auction then the owner puts his ELBOW through it by accident--saw this on TV.

Photos of 6164 many have requested ? SURE!! No problem, I'd be more than happy to oblidge, possibly within a week after Turkey Day unless something critical comes up.

OUCH !!!!!! The thought just crossed my mind----maybe soon I'll have to carefully wrap 6164, put it in a box, say goodbye--- and probably NEVER see it again !!! Damn-- Gonna hurt bad, we are pretty close!

all "DEEP THOUGHT'S" remember old paul's former wife.lived in tucson on a sprawling ranch. they was worth 500 million..cancer she died. moral"death has a way of evening it all out no matter what ya got!!

so enjoy one tommy or two or none as some may not have...that's the reality of it..

sometime's the pleasure of being alive is enough.

that camel has still not passed through that eye of the needle yet....

take care,ron

Bill sez: "Machine guns? I've got too many......"

Not at all. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif One can simply never have too many machineguns. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif (That's a quote from someone).

I do have a coworker with a dozen or so motorcycles. Most are run of the mill 1980's vintage Japanese cruisers ( http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif wtf?) and he spends a ton of money on batteries, tags, etc. and time keeping the air in the tires and garage space, etc and he rarely rides them. Definitely a case of too many motorcycles.

This thread has made me rethink my policy of ever thinking about selling my Thompsons. Thanks.

PhilOhio

Glad I could make you smile http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif , that's why I posted my experiences, as many of us are in the same boat.

regarding:

[bill sez: "Machine guns? I've got too many......"

Not at all. One can simply never have too many machineguns. (That's a quote from someone).QUOTE]

Now to get SERIOUS for a moment:

Response:

I believe I saw it written in the scriptures somewhere- maybe Isah 1.2.3 or something:

" The LORD sayeth, that SHALL thee require a TRAILER to pull behind your diesel 3/4 ton Suburban to transport your machine guns to a shoot, even with the middle and rear seats removed, HE shall commith-- fail your hitch pin, therewith overturn your whole applecart on the Interstate---thus exposing your greed to everyone who might follow you. (And your toys will be smitten by many righteous 18 wheelers.)

Maybe someone will correct me if that isn't exact, that's what I quoted C-3 dealer Bob Landies when he said he had a couple more I might be interested in.

My advise to the guy with dozen motorcycles above-- sell 6~8 and get back to what you can enjoy.

Bill

I've always been of the mind to

"If I don't shoot it, it gets sold for something I will shoot"

Luckily my hobby actually goes up in value unlike some others so when I do get tired of something I actually make money http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I do a a few guns that do not follow the rule (family guns) but otherwise I have rarely regretted too much not selling one of my MGs (not buying one, yes lots of regrets there http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif )

No doubt, Phil. My evil current, future ex wife has eyed my MG collection on more than one occasion when the need for quick, large amounts of cash have come up and she always seems to be there when I do sell an MG to claim some sort of large percentage of the sale (worse than the IRS, she is) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif A couple years ago when we were looking at buying a new house, she made life so unbearable that I did put a couple out on the boards to see what interest they would generate. She felt bad and cashed out a couple of her smaller retirement accounts so I would not have to sell them. She does on occasion, threaten to clean out my manly room disposing of my non MG collectables. I tell her that if she does, I'll leave. She threw out a brand new M249 feed tray a few years back http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/slap.gif during a cleaning fit while I was at the Creek. I still haven't forgiven her for that one. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/soapbox.gif Pure evil, that lot.