Brass Thompson Receivers - Any Interest?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_6930_zps2rfzh68k.jpg

A customer who owns a brass foundry has requested that I make him a small

quantity of brass M1928A1 receivers. This person has the ability to make brass

bars of the same size and length that we use (1 1/2" x 2" x 13 3/8") so they can

be run thru the standard production process.

I believe if I asked him for extra pieces he would be able to supply them. I do

not know the cost but I would guess that using brass would add at least $100 to

the price of the receiver.

The brass receivers would have the identical machining as the steel receivers

and have available the options pertaining to extra machine work and engraving.

The surfaces of the receiver would not be blanchard ground because when blanchard

grinding the pieces are held on a large rotating plate which is magnetic. Of course,brass

is not magnetic so the surfaces would be milled instead of ground but we can put

on a high finish.

If you might be interested in a brass M1921/28 or M1/M1A1 receiver send me an

email and when I find out the brass will cost I can email you a quote.

As a guideline the basic receiver we make is $345 and there are extra machining

and engraving options that can add as much as $300-$350 to price of a

"no frills" receiver.

I do not believe a brass receiver would affect the function of the blish lock because

the bronze/steel surfaces are in the bolt, H-lock, and actuator, not the receiver.

Bob/Philly O

Philaord@aol.com

The example shown above is the Turkish version. It would be really cool to be able to duplicate their creations. Now all I have to find is olive wood for the stocks.......

>I do not believe a brass receiver would affect the function of the blish lock because

the bronze/steel surfaces are in the bolt, H-lock, and actuator, not the receiver.<

The ears of the lock cam into the sides of the receiver, so in a brass/bronze receiver there would be bronze-to-brass contact on these cam surfaces. Blish locks seem to be incredibly durable where the bronze ears run on steel surfaces, so any bronze-to-brass contact wouldn't be an issue in my view.

A brass Thompson would be fun to have.....

So far there is one person interested in having a receiver made - an M1. I just found out that the

extra cost for the brass would be $125. The guy that supplied the brass wants a couple, and maybe

a 3rd.

So, not a big hit but since the brass can be run thru the existing set-ups I will try to have a couple

of pieces ready to go should anyone want one in the future.

Bob

Bob,

The market for such an item is incredibly small. No one is going to buy their first or second receiver made of brass. Most people are building dummies that are as close to the original as they can get. So the market is limited to advanced TSMG collectors who have the money and want to buy an oddity. The fact that a brass receiver will cost MORE than a legit steel one just puts the nail in the coffin.

My 2 cents. That said: these receivers are very cool indeed, your abilities to craft these pieces always makes me smile....

Bob,

The market for such an item is incredibly small. No one is going to buy their first or second receiver made of brass. Most people are building dummies that are as close to the original as they can get. So the market is limited to advanced TSMG collectors who have the money and want to buy an oddity. The fact that a brass receiver will cost MORE than a legit steel one just puts the nail in the coffin.

My 2 cents. That said: these receivers are very cool indeed, your abilities to craft these pieces always makes me smile....

The higher cost is unavoidable. Brass, having a high copper content, is a more expensive material no matter what you do to it.

Ron

I'm waiting for Buzz to chime in regarding the inherent weakness of brass vs forged steel?

Darryl

• Upvote 1

Dan,

I was giving homage to our resident P.E. Buzz, it's hard to argue with facts.

Darryl