Major John T Thompson

After setting up at oaks Gunshow, I took a walk around and find this early picture of major John t Thompson for sale. Support your local gunshows its not all tube socks and pickles

Not trying to spoil your recent Gun Show experience, but I don't believe your picture is of John Taliaferro Thompson. Some similarities are apparent but I do have some training in facial recognition. The earlobes on the real John T. Thompson are completely different from the guy in your picture.

Army Officer Photograph-1.jpg John Thompson-1.jpg John Thompson-2.jpg

Maybe at the next show you could exchange it for some tube socks?

• Upvote 2

Excellent analysis by gijive.

Question: What is the insignia "U.S.R." on the uniform collar supposed to identify?

Another picture:

Crop - JTT.jpg

Edited by TD.

I think that is William Gorgas. My father did his internship at the hospital named after him in the former Panama Canal Zone in the early 1960's, and then he was Chief of Dermatology there when we lived there from 1973 to 1977. I could be wrong on it being Gorgas, but the photo made me remember pictures of him I used to see at the hospital, and IIRC, on Canal Zone stamps.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'm not sure if it's Gorgas, but for me, it's fun to reminisce about the former Canal Zone. What a wonderful place it was back in the day.

I remember this photo of Gorgas.

Gorgas.gif

Here is the photo from the gun show.

Army Officer Photograph-1.jpg

To gijive's earlier point, I'm not sure the lobes match here, either. Very similar, nonetheless.

anjong-ni,

Thanks for posting the stamp photo. I have a bunch of them in a box somewhere.

CanalZone-CZ105.jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I love the Oaks Gunshow, it's one of the Largest venues near me. Their Christmas Gunshow is really large with lots of Vendors discounting stuff to clear from their 2019 Inventory.

If you have never been to an Oaks Gunshow put the December Show on you Calendar.

December 20th-22nd Phoenixville Pa

Edited by jojeep

Also the collar logo looks like a medical insignia. USR is US Army Reserve. Not the same man. If I remember there

was a doctor Thompson in the story of the Panama Canal.

Tracie

So one could almost say "Here is a man that wore his heart on his sleeve". Thought I'd just add to the fray.