How Long Will I Need To Look?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:58 PM

I've just ventured into the Title II world and am patiently waiting for ATF approval on Uzi and Colt M16 transfers. My secret lust, however, is a WWII M1 or M1A1.

I know there are a few guns out there but with asking prices around $15k. How frequently do the M1/M1A1s pop up? Is it a case where there will always be guns for sale, allbeit, at a price maybe a few thousand above my target or... are they few and far between and $15k is the price it's going to take to join the club.? Thanks!

#2 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

The guys here will tell you, 15k for M1 is too much.......I just put out $9500. for a 1928 w/Hurley(Hey,that's my name), and the old timers here said it was 1 to 1.5k too high. (plus $400. for two transfers)....So Kyle, you are thinking too high.....The M1 types seem to pop up more frequently than the others from my view. For example, I pushed away 3 local M1 type Tommies in 4 weeks looking for a 1928. I wanted the drum capability....These guys can tell you so much more..........Come to the next MG Shoot here, at Knob Creek Rg, Ky, and you will have choices, if early enough.........jw

#3 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:19 PM

Sure, 9k for a West Hurley M1(A1). But a WWII? Try about 11k~15k...todays cash. When Kyle is ready to buy, who knows? Up and up and up. That has been discussed here ad nauseum. Kyle, sell your Uzi (yuck) and that Colt thingy and buy what your heart desires!

#4 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:07 PM

Rust is right, but I was trying to be gentle......Sell the Uzi &16, and get that Thompson.............jw

#5 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:16 AM

We cannot be gentle. My God, man, it's a Thompson! JW is correct...

#6 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:13 PM

i was recently offered a savage WWII 1928 for 10 or 11k, the dealer couldn't recall what his client was asking. said it was in nice condition, original finish.

#7 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:39 PM

Craig,
You mean original blue finish? Wow!

#8 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 05:41 PM

Keep the Uzi. Keep the M-16. And buy the TSMG even if it's "overpriced" if the gun is the one you want. It's only money. All that separates humans from apes is our ability to make and appreciate full-auto weapons.

#9 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:18 PM

Second,
The gorillas in the sequel to "Planet of The Apes" used subguns

#10 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:38 PM

If it were me, I'd keep the UZI, and sell off the M16. My .02

#11 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 11 December 2003 - 08:33 PM

Ya, the Gorillas where using modified Madsen M50's for the sequel to POTA and M1 carbines too...

#12 craig101

craig101

• Regular Group
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:36 PM

when i asked the dealer if it had the original finish, he said yes. i think i will call him and see if he can send pics.

this dealer also says he has a Thompson serial no. 40 (hell i don't know), says it is the earliest known surviving WWII thompson M1. i am sure he said M1 cause he said it was cut for a drum (which the 1928 is already cut for drum). he said the first few M1s were cut for the drum. i've never heard that, but i know nothing about thompsons.

#13 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:20 AM

I'll eventually find a WWII TSMG and I ain't selling either the Uzi or the Colt. I think all 3 are near the top of the "got to have" NFA toy list. Thanks to everyone for their comments!

#14 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:29 AM

Craig101,

I would be VERY careful concerning any M1 that was "cut for the drum". The M1 frame has a different profile than the 1928 frame. As I understand it, if you open up the M1 frame to take a drum, you will weaken it significantly. PK and others on this board can give you more details than I can, but proceed carefully!

I have never heard of any M1 Thompsons being set up for the drum by the factory. Quite the contrary, the M1 was specifically designed to use only the box magazines, so I see no reason for the factory to have tried to modify them for using a drum.

#15 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:12 PM

My 2 cents...

Keep the M-16 as this single item allows for the additional of numerous conversions:
9mm
(and maybe some belt fed in the future)

#16 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:18 PM

The belt fed kits for the M16 will be out next year. So I hearz.

#17 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:26 PM

they already have them

www.brpguns.com

like a mg 34 or something.

Jr