"the Ultimate Thompson Book," By Tracie Hill

All,

I'm excited to announce that a new book on the Thompson Submachine Gun will become available soon, titled, "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie Hill. It is headed to the printer in late March, and will be available around the first week of May. This will be Tracie's second book published by Collector Grade Publications, and his third Thompson book overall. Several contributors to the new book are board members here, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the final product, which will be between 800-850 pages, and feature between 1200-1300 images. The book will have a leather-like feel to the cover, and I'm told it will retail for around $150. It will be published in portrait orientation, and many of the images will be in color.

Tracie sent me a draft mock-up of the front cover, which can be seen below:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TUTBCover_Web.JPG

This new book will feature much previously unpublished historical information and unseen items. I am certain it will become the new standard reference on the subject.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Edited by dalbert
Added Image

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can these be purchased from Tracie to include an autograph?

Yes.

As soon as Tracie has all the details to take orders for the new book, I will let everyone know. I'm sure there will be plenty at the Show and Shoot in August, also, and that would be a great time to get the book autographed by many contributors to the effort.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hopefully, Tracie will have straightened out his L drum identifications, made sure that the cutline descriptions accurately identify what is in the corresponding photos, eliminate the serial number manufacturing dates ( since it is only a 16 month period) eliminate the filler chapters 12, 13 and 14 (as this info is better covered in other books), and get a handle on the spelling of Worchester. No need to rush this into print when he should take all the time necessary to avoid editing glitches.

Maybe a little work to the cover. It doesn't appeal to the eye.

For the "ultimate" TSMG book, that cover is pretty pedestrian. Even GH sticks a miniature metal 1921A on the side of his periodical. Why not use the characture on page 88 in his book for the cover? Or if one has to use the bullet logo and 1919 TSMG image, it shouldn't appear as if the two images were photoshopped on the page as an afterthought.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

All,

Tracie is ready to take pre-orders on the new book. He has assured me that these will be treated as pre-orders, and no checks will be cashed, or credit cards will be charged until he has the books in hand, and starts shipping around the first week of May 2009.

Shipping will be by UPS, and is $12. The book is $150, making the total $162 for the new Collector Grade Publication, "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie Hill.

Please keep in mind that these books are available through Tracie Hill. Although I am associated with the project, I am not selling these books myself at this time. Tracie sells his books through the mail, meaning that the transaction is handled entirely through the mail. You will need to fill out the form in the link below, and mail it in to Tracie with your payment via credit card, check, or money order.

"The Ultimate Thompson Book" Order Form

Please mail your completed book order form to the following address:

Tracie Hill

P.O. Box 8710

Newark, OH 43058-8710

Here is a link to another view of the cover.

Cover View

If you have any questions, please post them here, and I will do my best to get them answered as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave,

Will the new book contain serial numbers of Colt guns?

Bob,

I honestly don't know if the serial number section that was included in "Thompson: The American Legend" will be included in the new book. I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

David

I don't think of the serial number section in, Thompson: The American Legend, or, The Ultimate Thompson Book, as superfluous. While Gordon's work is much more in depth and complete on this one subject, the number of books published by Gordon is very small (250 to date?). I doubt most of the people who own American Legend (or Roger Cox's book) know of its existence. While this one section is not that important to advance collectors and researchers who own Gordon's book, Colt Thompson Serial Numbers, it does offer a lot of value for most purchasers of this new book.