The Pacific

Saw some good 28 and M1 action on the first episode.

Also saw a curious Left-handed Springfiled 03-A3, I think, could have been an Enfield, but negative reversed Left-handed model. Interesting. Wish I had one..

Movie/TV magic, when you want your actors to be facing the enemy from the left and you have some stock footage of them facing the enemy on the right you flip the negative. You will find left-handed M1 Thompsons, BARs and M1 Garands all through real WWII footage....

The 28 with the "L" drum got a lot of use....nice to see he wasn't using the "spray and pray" method of fire....

There were quite a bit of early 1928A1's with "L" drums in them, and they took their time firing them too. I especially liked the 1917 watercooled though. Seems like it will be a nice compliment to Band of Brothers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?" TOM HANKS

As long as co-executive producer Hanks' presentism historical revisionism is absent from the HBO miniseries, it might actually be worth while watching.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?" TOM HANKS

As long as co-executive producer Hanks' presentism historical revisionism is absent from the HBO miniseries, it might actually be worth while watching.

Does Hanks have a track record of anachronistically introducing false depictions and/or interpretations?

Often times the director will reverse the image if he/she wants to represent the scene to what they perceive is more aesthetically pleasing. But definately a nice series to compliment "Band of Brothers," as mentioned. Edited by Rayman1

Arthur,

I am in agreement with you on that one! My anticipation of the series was certainly diminshed by Hanks' ridiculous comment about the reasons for the U.S. entering the war against the Japanese. I wonder if he really thought he would be endearing himself to the remaining living veteran's that might watch the series? One good thing about liberals, they always show their true colors by sticking their foot in their mouths. They never cease to attempt to revise history with absurd analogies.

Arthur,

I am in agreement with you on that one! My anticipation of the series was certainly diminshed by Hanks' ridiculous comment about the reasons for the U.S. entering the war against the Japanese. I wonder if he really thought he would be endearing himself to the remaining living veteran's that might watch the series? One good thing about liberals, they always show their true colors by sticking their foot in their mouths. They never cease to attempt to revise history with absurd analogies.

Chuck,

Hanks has a strange idea of the perfect venue to promote this HBO series. While boycotting FOX News, a cable channel whose audience would naturally be interested in this miniseries, he prefers the benighted company of the hosts and audience of "The View" and The Joyless Bayhar Show."

Also saw a curious Left-handed Springfiled 03-A3, I think, could have been an Enfield, but negative reversed Left-handed model. Interesting. Wish I had one..

There is a problem with the 1903A3s showing up when they do in Pacific. The first 1903A3s were not delivered until December 1942, the time period depicted in Episode 1 is no later than 21 August 1942 ending with the Battle of the Tenaru also known as the Battle of Alligator Creek. In the film you see a few A3s as they are setting up the day before the battle. All the photos I have seen of Marines during the Guadalcanal campaign carrying Springfields show them with Model 1903s.

I wish I still had HBO, so I guess I'll have to wait until the boxed DVD set is released...

This is what I did with Band Of Brothers.

Rented all the disks and watch them all over a long weekend after it was first released.

Looks like I will be doing it again with this movie.

I hate when that happens...the worst case - at least

for me - of having guns at the wrong time is at the beginning of

The Wild Bunch one of the outlaws on the roof has a M1903A3...

it really ruins the scene since the movie takes place in 1915 or

thereabouts...

I also wasn't too keen on the FN D BAR being used by a GI

in Kellys Heroes...

Bob

Having watched the first episode for a second time last night I was left with the opinion this is a half hearted attempt at best hoping to ride in on the coat tails of Band of Brothers. The attention to detail is just not there.

attention to detail? you mean they used Wes -hurlee's?? and Kahr 1911a1's......Ron/C21a

p.s. i will buy it when its out.and add it to my other stuff.

Details such as 1903A3s at at time there were none, PUC ribbons on uniforms prior to the creation of the award, stencilled rank insignia on P41 HBT sleeves, EGA insignia where it should not be, and so on.

I doubt that was a Kahr 1911 because it worked.

As long as we are on Guadalcanal I must recommend to those who

have not yet read it, the book Guadalcanal Diary. It was written by

Richard Tregaskis - at the time a young war correspondent who went

ashore with the Marines and stayed there when the Navy pulled out.

He talks about everyday life as lived among the combat Marines.

The places and battles he talks about did not yet have the famous

names we know today.

When he left the island and was able to come back to the US and

tell his story the book became a sensation and they immediately made

a movie but it does not do the book justice. When he was

writing he did not yet know if the Marines would win or be overrun and

massacred and thrown into the sea.

Its an easy read and you'll devour it in 2-3 nights.

Bob

Edited by reconbob

Hi,

I re-read "Guadalcanal Diary" a few weeks ago and it is as good now as it was when I read it the first time in the 1960's. I would also recommend Eugene Sledge's "The Old Breed", Robert Leckie's "Helmet for my Pillow" and "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose. The last three books are the basis for the HBO "The Pacific". The Sledge, Leckie and Tregaskis books are first hand accounts of the Pacific War and are of course much better than the TV show and dead on real!

Dick

Edited by Sculptor

Hell's Island by Stanley Jersey is a fairly recent book on Guadalcanal, 2008, that I would highly recommend.

Guadalcanal Diary is a very good book as has been said. I read it the first time in the 60s and again over the Christmas holidays having found a first edition book to add to the book shelf.

Might as well add "A Dawn Like Thunder" to the reading list. Its about Navy Torpedo Squadron 8 who paid a major price at Midway and ended up stationed on Quadalcanal, serving as infantry when their planes were all gone.

From the Publisher: One of the great untold stories of World War II finally comes to light in this thrilling account of the members of Torpedo Squadron Eight and their heroic efforts in helping an outmatched U.S. fleet win critical victories at Midway and Guadalcanal. These 35 American men -many flying outmoded aircraft - changed the course of history, going on to become the war's most decorated naval air squadron, while suffering the heaviest losses in U.S. naval aviation history.

Robert J. Mrazek paints moving portraits of the men in the squadron and exposes a shocking cover-up that cost many lives. Filled with thrilling scenes of battle, betrayal, and sacrifice, A Dawn Like Thunder is destined to become a classic in the literature of World War II.

As long as we are on Guadalcanal I must recommend to those who

have not yet read it, the book Guadalcanal Diary. It was written by

Richard Tregaskis - at the time a young war correspondent who went

ashore with the Marines and stayed there when the Navy pulled out.

He talks about everyday life as lived among the combat Marines.

The places and battles he talks about did not yet have the famous

names we know today.

When he left the island and was able to come back to the US and

tell his story the book became a sensation and they immediately made

a movie but it does not do the book justice. When he was

writing he did not yet know if the Maines would win or be overrun and

massacred and thrown into the sea.

Its an easy read and you'll devour it in 2-3 nights.

Bob

Hey I picked up a copy of that doing one of my Sanford and Son gigs... If someone needs it for a read drop me an email......

"Guadalcanal" written by Richard B. Frank is almost 800 pages worth of an excellent read. he not only recites details and dates, his writing style puts you in place with information history often glosses over. the book is not a headache to read as some books that thick can be, and he covers the campaign in detail from multiple perspectives. while i was aware of the battle of savo island, and the fact that the U.S Navy had some inglorious moments, the book elaborates, and also depicts moments of great valor. the U.S.S. Chicago, on fire and sinking, pinned in japanese searchlights, the captain orders the parade ( over sized ) flag flown, while he orders abandon ship. the japanese were surprised and impressed enough to cease fire for 6 minutes. while not a long time, enough to save many lives aboard Chicago. U.S.S. San Francsico, on fire, hit several times by friendly fire, killing the admiral and bridge crew, and the wounded captain in sick bay, was turned back into the fight by a junior officer to draw fire.

in the land camapaign, on one patrol the marines in a valley were caught by the japanese on both ridges in a cross fire, someone said fall back, without orders, and marines started to do so, at which point the commanding officer stood up and shouted " i thought you guys were marines!" he was killed by the japanese, the marines stopped fallng back and held their ground.

the books mentioned previously in this thread are all good ones, but, if you haven't heard of or read the one in this post, and have the time, i recommend it.

if the mini-series lets us know of men who stood up, when the chips were down, when the easy thing to do was stay down, and paid the price for their actions, then it will beat most other programs on tv. people like michael jackson and donald trump are idolized, while too many true heroes are forgotten.