Thompsons In Movies Part ?

(1971) SHAFT..

The mobsters use what looks like two WH 1928's with L drums. There are several scenes where Tommyguns are seen.....

The best one I have seen for Thompsons lately is the new movie Public Enemies with Johnny Depp. The movie wasn't good, and very innacurate as far as history goes. But I watched it several times just for the Thompsons and BAR's. It had a lot of closeups and a lot of 50rd mag dumps. :)

cplnorton2,

While I agree the movie Public Enemies was not historical, it certainly provided a lot of 1930's era entertainment from several very good actors. But that is just me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Auto-Ordnance/TimesSquare2.jpg

I've tried to watch it two times but lost interest in it because it moved so sssllllooowww.

-Darryl

Edited by RoscoeTurner
Personal politics have nothing to do with the discussion.

while not a movie, a tv show, and it was a single image, of all places, i saw a thompson running, brass flying, on monty python last night. the episode was entitled "salad days" and was poking fun at gratuitous violence in american films. the image was full screen, good quality. i didn't recognize the actor or the film, it wasn't a monty python cast member. has anyone else seen this? can you identify the film?

• 4 months later...

I ran across this still while surfing the web. It's is supposed to be from a movie called "The Steel Helmet" Samuel Fuller 1951 about the Korean War.

Jim

SORRY: Picture won't post but it appears to be two Asians with 28 Thompsons.

Edited by james m

"Dillinger" staring Warren Oates is more enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillinger_(1973_film)

Jay

+1

I also liked the original Public Enemy's movie about Ma Barker. Lots of Tommy action in that flick...

Regards

Bob M.

Edited by GUTTERRATT

Thanks Hawkeye:

That's the one! Has anyone on the forum seen this movie?

Jim

Yes, I've seen it, but it was many years ago. It used to be shown on the late-night movies back in the 1960's on the local Chicago television stations. It is a pretty good Korean War movie, although it is a typical early 1950's low-budget flick. For the record, the guy on the left isn't an oriental, that's Gene Evans, a character actor from the 1950's and 1960's. He was in lot's of cowboy movies, usually as a bad guy.

Yeah, I saw "Steel Helmet" a few months back. It was a Samuel Fuller movie made for about $100K. He used 25 extras and filmed them very artistically and made them look like thousands.. well maybe not thousands... All in all it was a pretty good movie about Korea and those are few and far between. His one scene where the Officer shoots the prisoner got him an FBI invetigation to see if he was a Commie Pinko. Fuller also made "The Big Red 1" with Lee Marvin.

• 4 weeks later...
Battan with Robet Taylor, Desi Arnez,Lloyd Nolan and other familiar faces. Trapped on the Battan peninsula while employed as a rear guard, this U.S. squd is armed with Thompsons among other period weapons. Filmed in 43 I think, the kit is good and the Thompsons all used drums. It doesn't turn out well for them but I don't think there was much .45 ammo left when they fell.

Battan with Robet Taylor, Desi Arnez,Lloyd Nolan and other familiar faces. Trapped on the Battan peninsula while employed as a rear guard, this U.S. squd is armed with Thompsons among other period weapons. Filmed in 43 I think, the kit is good and the Thompsons all used drums. It doesn't turn out well for them but I don't think there was much .45 ammo left when they fell.

the actors in the movie bataan sport some of the biggest on screen grins of any movie when shooting their blankfiring thompsons. and how the youngsters's helmet keeps sliding down as he fires is almost comical.

The latest indiana jones movie (temple of the crystal something) had a bunch of tommy guns near the begining, but not one was cocked from the looks of them

(this was one of few exceptions. though look at rear receiver, and can see the reweld :( )

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/2008_indiana_jones_4_037.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/indiana_jones_and_the_kingdom_of_the_crystal_skull_movie_image__14_.jpg

Edited by Embalmer

• 4 months later...
How about `Miller`s Crossing`...plenty of upclose Tommy action..and some great quotes...and let`s not forget Eastwoods daughter as a moll,she`s hotter than a Thompson barrel after a drum dump!.. :rolleyes:

Those guys died hard, but a great ending jim