Thanks,

Darryl

FBI_case_002.JPG

FBI_case_004.JPG

FBI_case_003.JPG

FBI_case_005.JPG

Edited by darrylta

Mike,

Do you have a possible time frame on it if it is a Fox case?

Is Mr. Fox a forum member?

Thanks,

Darryl

My guess is this case is NOT an older Greg Fox case. However, Greg would be the perfect person to look at the case. He is quite the expert in this area. The cases he makes are of excellent quality. His Board name is: 1921A

AF,

That's what I thought, WWII ish time frame, it looks like it's been around the block and back. The felt

degradation and smell is not consistent with my other 30's cases.

I think it could be possibly be a case supplied to a PD with a Savage Commercial or something along those

lines. It's condition is similar to a PD M50 Reising Fed Lab case I have.

Thanks for all the input everyone,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Gentleman:

The pictured case is interesting but I must confess - I don't have a clue who made it or when.

The materials used offer some hints though. The peeling outer covering resembles DuPont Fabrikoid, not modern vinyl, but I can't tell for sure from these pictures. Vinyl replaced Fabrikoid by the late 1940's. The velvet liner appears to be a synthetic blend. That would also be consistant with the post war time frame.

The first Fox case for a Thompson was produced in 2003 so it's definitely not one of ours.

1921A

Edited by 1921A

Greg,

I took a closer look at the case and see that the vinyl is in fact fabrikoid, a very thin almost paper like

material but stringy.I also see that the fabrikoid is installed over the velvet, making it original to the case.

Maybe a manufacturer will be discovered for it, it is an oddity.

I've located an original like leather handle and some split rings to repair the top.

After I get it finished, I'll post a photo of it.

Thanks for the info,

Darryl

The way the deal went down was odd as well.

I spotted the case being sold on Subguns with a West Hurley 28.

I contacted the seller and and he agreed to sell the case only for

a fair price. The seller was a dealer and agreed with me that the

case deserved to have a Colt reside in it.

It worked out for both of us.

-Darryl

Greg,

I took a closer look at the case and see that the vinyl is in fact fabrikoid, a very thin almost paper like

material but stringy.I also see that the fabrikoid is installed over the velvet, making it original to the case.

Maybe a manufacturer will be discovered for it, it is an oddity.

I've located an original like leather handle and some split rings to repair the top.

After I get it finished, I'll post a photo of it.

Thanks for the info,

Darryl

Darryl,

Can you tell if the velvet is a synthetic or cotton? It appears to be synthetic in the pictures but that could be caused by the lighting used for the photos.

One other thing to check, do the leather corners have an embossed line pressed into them about 1/8 inch back from the edge? Most of the post war (replica) cases I've seen do not have the pressed detail on the corner pieces.

Greg Fox

Greg,

I think the velvet is synthetic and the leather corner pads are not embossed as you described.

I've also noticed that the leather straps under the lid are not as thick as the Swetnam & Books Trunk cases I have.

There is also no button feet on the bottom of the case. What's weird is that the bottom corner pads show little if any wear?

It's hard to come up with a wear scenario I see with this case. Maybe it's a PD case that was used very little, but treated roughly

when it was used.

Appreciate the detective work,

Darryl