"Dillinger" Thompson

During the 4th of July weekend last year I was visiting relatives in my old home state of Wisconsin. Being not far away from Racine WI., I decided a little trip was in order to visit The Racine Police Dept. and a very special weapon on display there, The "Dillinger" Thompson.

Dillinger made a headline splashing robbery in Racine by knocking over The American Bank and Trust Co. on Nov. 20, 1933 to the tune of almost $28,000. Nobody was killed but he did show a display of force by spraying his Thompson into the ceiling, I'm sure that got everyone's attention.

I'm not certain of the details regarding the recovery of this particular so called "Dillinger" Thompson. It's a Colt Navy gun with serial #3363. Perhaps some other knowledgeable Thompson aficionados, board members can relay the facts not only of it's use and recovery, but also the origin of the engraved name of Dillinger on the buttstock.

Detailed pictures were difficult to take because of the positioning of the gun in the case and the reflections from the glass, but here are a few to look at.

Mike Hammer

[DT_display.jpgDT_serial_number.jpg

DT_engraving.jpgDT_front_grip.jpg

DT_comp.jpgDT_bullet.jpg

D_receiver.jpgDil_Display.jpg

John had more than 1 thompson, he had 5 or 6 he had riped off here and there, I know of another, a 1921 that him and his gang had. It came out of the raid at little Bohema. It land in Indiana and a friend of end up with it. His gang stoled it in Ok. Jim

It's a Colt Navy gun with serial #3363.

I was wondering what the serial number of (one of) his guns was, as I had seen something somewhere about someone who had one that was close to his SN. Those are some great pictures!

I f you are asking me about the number, Can't tell you the number, but I can tell you it was taken from Muncie Oklahoma and ended up in Muncie Indiana, hows that for odd? Muncie Ind had 3 thompson, my freind traded 1 M-16 for 1Thompson, his choice. He new what one he want, {the numbers} Jim

Very nice Mike, We may be looking at how Colt furniture looked originally, without years of handling patina.

Thanks,

Darryl

Good pictures, I made them a offer on it decades ago for $25,000.00 at that time they told me nope we could get $100,000.00 then it went to half Million,

a good friend of mine who lives about a 30 minute drive from there. took it apart, and cleaned it for them year's ago.

and helped them with the display.

Since I am out of the Tommy bizz for good. I am selling off all my Dillinger item's. including one of the Twelve known 'Death Mask's.

so somebody else can enjoy all this stuff i had for decades.

that 21ac Has much history with it, a great piece of history. and am not aware of any other so called Dillinger Tommy's floating around.

when most did brag they had one. it never ended up a hot trail.it was always somebody trying to say that to hike the price. very ,very few Thompson's. have back up paperwork and followup.

as i tell everybody buy the gun not the story. unless you have the documentation in front of you.

since this stuff for the past ten years or so has been embelished upon.it was fun doing it while i did. too bad there are not more guys out there willing. to take up the reins' and follow through.but today time is more money, and you have to love doing it. if you are in it just for the Gold. it soon fades, and loses its Shine.

take care Ron/Colt21a

p.s. Hammer time thanks for the info and pictures on it. I am sure it will be a fun posting.

Well, Colt21a, I live in Ind, how much paper have you seen on tommy taken from PD here., J.D. robed what 5,6 maybe more police dept in Ind? The man I talk about with the 21 thompson, has the paper, but its his gun, not mine. I said more than what I should have. again, not my gun. But there is one fact, J.D. had a lot more thompson than just 1. In Indiana alone he took maybe 6 or 8 from just police dept in this state. You don't need paper work on that do you. Jim

Well, Colt21a, I live in Ind, how much paper have you seen on tommy taken from PD here., J.D. robed what 5,6 maybe more police dept in Ind? The man I talk about with the 21 thompson, has the paper, but its his gun, not mine. I said more than what I should have. again, not my gun. But there is one fact, J.D. had a lot more thompson than just 1. In Indiana alone he took maybe 6 or 8 from just police dept in this state. You don't need paper work on that do you. Jim

My favorite gun is the 21 Dillinger took when he broke out of jail with his wooden gun, I think it was S.N. 7387, He took two that day one w/Cutts and one With out, There is no info on the one with out....

Not sure on the number, but that looks about right. The town in Ok. is no longer. Harry Peirpoint was the one who took the thompson { sorry about the spelling} The gang went through town. Got that part from the grandson of the Constable who lost the gun to the gang. When the gun was found it was at the gun fight at Little Bohemie, and then found its way to Indiana. That thompson is the first tommy I every saw, Thats why I got one now, I did do alittle rescarch on the gun. Jim

What is this pissing match week. been and seen many guns in Indiana. probably way before your buddy started collecting them.over 38 years ago. mich city Ind. dyer, south bend east chi-town, Columbus,and many small towns in between, I am glad he has paper on it. since a few are floating around.w/o/ paper. legal transfer forms. including a few r.r. Thompson's outside of Merriville. in a old dusty attic.

i did the research and follow up for year's on many of these and chased them down. and Gordon has most of that info i gave him. glad your buddy. friend, bro -in law, or whoever has the history, and story and owns one.

I did the tri-state thing for year's. Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, search...and a bunch of other states. it was fun while it lasted.

now others can carry on. it just won't be too much fun anymore. a Ton of the Thompson's are gone.

hang around a little,you actually might learn something on this board.

see who owned #8476 and #9131, #5715 #6006 #98 #103 some 21's with some history also.

its all behind me now. just like this post... and to everyone a safe and happy 4th.

Ron /Colt21a

What is this pissing match week. been and seen many guns in Indiana. probably way before your buddy started collecting them.over 38 years ago. mich city Ind. dyer, south bend east chi-town, Columbus,and many small towns in between, I am glad he has paper on it. since a few are floating around.w/o/ paper. legal transfer forms. including a few r.r. Thompson's outside of Merriville. in a old dusty attic.

i did the research and follow up for year's on many of these and chased them down. and Gordon has most of that info i gave him. glad your buddy. friend, bro -in law, or whoever has the history, and story and owns one.

I did the tri-state thing for year's. Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, search...and a bunch of other states. it was fun while it lasted.

now others can carry on. it just won't be too much fun anymore. a Ton of the Thompson's are gone.

see who owned #8476 and #9131, #5715 #6006 #98 #103 some 21's with some history also.

its all behind me now. just like this post... and to everyone a safe and happy 4th.

Ron /Colt21a

Before I stumbled on this forum a few years back, I found a site that had pics of a thompson dillinger took when he broke out of jail, and a pic of it resting on dillingers head stone. Forget what the site was.

Ron /Colt21a

Before I stumbled on this forum a few years back, I found a site that had pics of a thompson dillinger took when he broke out of jail, and a pic of it resting on dillingers head stone. Forget what the site was.

that was m.g. Mike he still hangs here. nice person. and boy did some folk chip away at that headstone. kind of like at Life. chip chip till gone.. Ron /Colt21a

Ron /Colt21a

that was m.g. Mike he still hangs here. nice person. and boy did some folk chip away at that headstone. kind of like at Life. chip chip till gone.. Ron /Colt21a

figured it's owner would be here. I just recall seeing it and being in total awe. I've never held a real thompson let alone fire one. Due to cost I have to live with my kahr thompson.

Ron /Colt21a

figured it's owner would be here. I just recall seeing it and being in total awe. I've never held a real thompson let alone fire one. Due to cost I have to live with my kahr thompson.

Ron /Colt21a

Glad to Hear you done it all, Kid, That makes you the man. Thak you very much. Jim

not the MAN just a crusty old worn out former Combat Marine. who thanks God everyday, for everyday he has.

and most should be happy with that and do the same.have fun. stay safe and a great 4th Jim...

remember there is a storm a coming.and a raincoat won't help us with this one.

take care Ron /Colt21a

During the 4th of July weekend last year I was visiting relatives in my old home state of Wisconsin. Being not far away from Racine WI., I decided a little trip was in order to visit The Racine Police Dept. and a very special weapon on display there, The "Dillinger" Thompson.

Dillinger made a headline splashing robbery in Racine by knocking over The American Bank and Trust Co. on Nov. 20, 1933 to the tune of almost $28,000. Nobody was killed but he did show a display of force by spraying his Thompson into the ceiling, I'm sure that got everyone's attention.

I'm not certain of the details regarding the recovery of this particular so called "Dillinger" Thompson. It's a Colt Navy gun with serial #3363. Perhaps some other knowledgeable Thompson aficionados, board members can relay the facts not only of it's use and recovery, but also the origin of the engraved name of Dillinger on the buttstock.

Detailed pictures were difficult to take because of the positioning of the gun in the case and the reflections from the glass, but here are a few to look at.

Mike Hammer

[DT_display.jpgDT_serial_number.jpg

DT_engraving.jpgDT_front_grip.jpg

DT_comp.jpgDT_bullet.jpg

D_receiver.jpgDil_Display.jpg

Tks Mike, about time Edited by newtommygunner