Swetnam Reproduction Cases

There is a seller on Ebay (dubjugz) that is selling reproduction FBI cases.

Greed got the best of me and I bought one thinking it was a one in a million

chance it was the real thing.

I had emailed the seller about them and she stated that the case had belonged to her

long time collector father.( It's a ploy)

I received the case and it's obvious that it's a repro, yet it is well built example with a cotton felt interior

and pretty much made like an original. The only thing you see right off the bat is the clasps are not as

sturdy as the originals as in light gauge stamped plated metal.

They are not as nice as Rat-Tats reproduction cases but are a cut above the China cases your seeing

now. The auction price was $500. I think I'll keep it to remind myself of being such a gober :-).

Attached are the sellers photo of it and by gosh it even has a Swetnam tag.

-Darryl

$(KGrHqIOKioE6(bmqYMWBOuJCS)Y0g~~60_12.jpg

• Upvote 1

It fooled me with the fuzzy photos and her collector father speal.

After the cat was out of the bag... she stated that she had another 40 more.

I think they would make a good non collectible case for a display gun, a SBR semi

or if you couldn't find or afford an original.

I've got three of them.......my-my the webs we weave.

-Darryl

I had emailed the seller about them and she stated that the case had belonged to her

I received the case and it's obvious that it's a repro, yet it is well built example with a cotton felt interior

and pretty much made like an original. The only thing you see right off the bat is the clasps are not as

They are not as nice as Rat-Tats reproduction cases but are a cut above the China cases your seeing

now. The auction price was $500. I think I'll keep it to remind myself of being such a gober :-).

-Darryl

It might be one of mine. The picture quality is not good enough to tell. Look on the bottom of the case. If it is a Fox case, one of the leather corner protectors will be stamped with a capital F and a number. My cases were not marked with Swetnam labels.

Greg Fox

-Darryl

It might be one of mine. The picture quality is not good enough to tell. Look on the bottom of the case. If it is a Fox case, one of the leather corner protectors will be stamped with a capital F and a number. My cases were not marked with Swetnam labels.

Greg Fox

Greg,

There is no stamping of any type on the leather bottom corner pads.

I wish it was one of yours.

-Darryl

DLansky,

I believe it is the same case I bought on EBay for $500 per case.

-Darryl

then you did get a bargain Daryl--you saved $100.

I bought 3 of them, thinking there was a chance they were vintage.

But, they weren't. Looks I didn't get burnt to bad.

-Darryl

FYI. eBay is working hard to stop this stuff. Contact eBay and they will likely refund your money and let you keep the case. They recently did this for me on some fake silver coins.

-wwiifirearms

So, do we know the origin of these repro cases? My concern is that they are not marked to identify them as reproduction, even though right now it is obvious they are of recent manufacture. I think I will be adding a couple of pages to the repro reference download in the pinned post at the top of the page soon...

Are these from China?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

Since the seller is advertising these on Sturm, maybe you have some possible leverage to contact him for some answers?

Stay safe,

Frank

Frank,

I just sent the seller a note. I'm considering deleting their ad, but will wait until I receive a response, as long as that response is received in a timely manner.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Here's what I wrote to the seller, and the reply I received back. Your thoughts?

Seller Wrote:

Hi David,

> I dont know who made these, i inherited them.

> These are new cases and are not made of the exact same materials as the

> originals as i understand.

> Some are marked "Swetnam" some are not. there appear to be 3 slightly

> different style cases. They are a quality product and appear very well

> built.

I wrote:

> What is the origin of the 1921/28 Colt Thompson F.B.I cases you have

> advertised on our website? Are they marked in any fashion to indicate

> they are reproduction cases?

>

> Thanks,

>

> David Albert

> dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

How much more would you expect or want? It sounds honest and non-defensive to me.

Bob D

Bob D,

I would much prefer if they were marked in some way to indicate the are reproduction cases. Based on the accounts given in this thread, I'm still uncomfortable with how they have been represented. I think this is the same seller who was on Ebay...

I'm probably going to leave it alone, but I still don't like it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

He is just trying to sell some cases..probably left over from some old gun shop. or a collector pile. nothing sneaky that i noticed. and Gordon has had the Swetnam label's for awhile. {i know i have a bunch someplace around.}

just unburied my old auto ord letterheads.. and found a few of the brochures and envelope's from probably twenty years ago.. and the J Curt Catalog's..and a Dillinger Death mask... after figuring it all out. its all for sale! in one big massive pile.on the case issue. hopefully they will be given a chance to sell these to collectors who need to put a 21 in one.anybody who is anybody can tell the diff. from these to original's.but in forty or fifty year's.. who will be around to care anyhow? make a happy customer now.

and to everyone a nice Thanksgiving.Colt 21a/ Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-1921-SMG-FBI-carry-case-/110771732554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ca82804a

David,

Above is the ebay ad.

The thing that got me interested in the case was her comment that she had inherited them from her deceased collector father.

I think Ron is right in that she did not intentionally perpetuate fraud on the buyers,..... but she should have included in the

ad that they were reproduction cases since I later found out that she has 40 of them. You have to think of what your wife or sister

would do in a similar circumstance??

I'll probably keep at least one of them as a reminder. I'm sure that all of us collectors have stepped in it at least once.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Darryl

Darrylta,

I see why you thought it was original, with the distant photos amd the description below. Especially since it states that "the original key for the lock is included."

Thompson 1921 SMG FBI Carry Case

Up for auction is an extremely high quality case for a Thompson SMG ...Label inside case reads "C.O. SWETNAM" The case dimensions are 26" L x 9" Hx 5" W.. It is designed to hold a Thompson SMG and its accessories... The original key for the lock is included.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com