Updated Website Banner

Jim C,

I actually considered using your photo.

I may redo the banner in a different format in the future, but I want to retain the original logo as a part of it. Right now, I don't have the larger version of the original logo, and need to ask Machinegun Mike for it in order to attempt a larger version.

I did use a photo of Gio's Harley with the TSMG on it. He showed me the picture at Knob Creek in October, and I think it's pretty awesome. I also borrowed the Dillinger photo from one of OCM's posts. The rest of the photos are from my collection.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Personally, I think you need an action shot up there.

Reenactor,

I agree. I'll be doing another update to the banner soon. I just obtained the original logo image in a larger size, and plan to increase its size in the middle of the banner, surrounded by two rows of smaller images. It may go through several changes as I experiment.

So, if you have action shots you'd like to recommend, please forward them to me.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Yea baby ! And you still got John in there that started this whole thing, didn't he ?

On the money again, Mr. Albert.

And Yea to the other baby you just got....

Sandy

Yea baby ! And you still got John in there that started this whole thing, didn't he ?

On the money again, Mr. Albert.

And Yea to the other baby you just got....

Sandy

Sandy,

Thanks! I'd say that John Thompson started the whole thing, but if I were to name a gangster that had the most influence on the perception of the TSMG, it was probably Al Capone (through Fred Burke) as a result of the SVDM.

All,

I was thinking some folks might want to know the stories behind the images chosen for the new website logo, so I’ve included a description of each image below.

Center Photo: Courtesy of “LIONHART” – This photo has been used as the website logo for several years now – The Thompson is actually a Model 1927-A1 Semi-Automatic Carbine. I don’t remember if it’s a West Hurley, or a Kahr, but it was refinished, and I believe it has wood by Dan Block on it, IIRC. It looks like a Colt at a glance.

Top Far Left: This is a photo of a scarce, WWII U.S.M.C. marked L-drum pouch. I included it because I like accessories, and also to honor the U.S.M.C., which has always had very close ties to the TSMG.

Top Left Middle: This drawing is from early Auto-Ordnance advertising, and was also used by Federal Laboratories when they were the exclusive distributors of the Thompson. It is from my personal collection, and represents the early motto of Auto-Ordnance, “On The Side of Law and Order.” Law Enforcement was the main early adopter of the Thompson, and it’s no accident that the officer is pointing his Thompson at the outlaw in the picture to the right.

Top Left, Inside: Courtesy of “OCM” – This is the famous photo of John Dillinger posing at a family picnic in Mooresville, Indiana on April 7, 1934, with Colt Thompson #7387, and the wooden pistol he used to break out of the Crown Point Jail. However much it weighed on John Thompson’s mind, the weapon became notoriously tied to 1920’s- 1930’s gangland use.

Top Right, Inside: Courtesy of “TD.” - Brigadier General John Taliaferro Thompson, the namesake of the Thompson Submachine Gun, and the man who inspired and managed its invention.

Top Far Right: Courtesy of “TD.” - An early Model of 1919 Thompson with a C-Drum.

Bottom Far Left: Courtesy of “Gio” – Frank showed me this photo of his Harley with a Thompson in a scabbard on it when I met him at Knob Creek in October, 2011. I really like the photo, and the Harley, and wanted to include it here to symbolize a variety of subject matter discussed on the board.

Bottom Left Middle: Courtesy of “Reenactor” – He said I needed to include an action shot, and I agreed. Very cool photo…

Bottom Left Inside: This is an image from my collection, and represents the significant use of the TSMG by the British in WWII. We also have many valued contributors from the UK on this forum.

Bottom Right, Inside: This is a photo from my private collection, and is one that has probably not been seen by many folks previously. These are Greek troops training with the Thompson in 1943. We also have many valued contributors throughout Europe, and this is an ode to our members in that region.

Bottom Right Middle: Courtesy of “TD.” - One of the most famous Thompson photos ever seen…This British photo of Winston Churchill in WWII was used as propaganda by the Germans to portray the allies as gangsters.

Far Bottom Right: Courtesy of “full auto 45” – This image of Machinegun Mike’s West Hurley Model 1928 Thompson was the website logo for many years when the forums were located on Machinegunbooks.com, and I include it as an ode to the past years of the website.

Right Side (Inset): This is the early Auto-Ordnance logo, which is featured on the first few thousand Colt Model of 1921 Thompsons, and also some early AO literature.

OK, one thing I will mention is that I resisted the temptation to include any photos of Thompson manuals or catalogs, although I did include a logo and drawing from inside some early advertising.

Your thoughts on any of these photos or comments are welcomed.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

Looking at the picture of John Dillinger , a criminal who used a Thompson to kill policeman Omalley, got me to wondering. Why not a picture of a policeman who used a Thompson to kill a criminal. What a wild and crazy idea. Can anyone come up with a picture of FBI agent Sam Crowley.

Or how about this ,--a picture of a MOH winner with a Thompson. Far out ! Hint ,-- there is a picture of Audie Murphy on page 508 of Hills TUTB.

Just a suggestion. I held off with this suggestion hoping someone else would make it first.

Jim C

I just added some more inset images...In the lower right hand corner, I used some of the white space to include a Medal of Honor ribbon...Jim C 351, I think this is a good homage to those who performed with valor in the U.S. Military with the TSMG. In the upper right white space, I added 3 Commonwealth Broad Arrow symbols representing Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, as we have members from each country, who also used the Thompson.

I also added a vintage FBI badge to the drawing of the law enforcement officer using the TSMG, to represent police organizations who used the Thompson to keep law and order.

I'm not planning to add any more full images to the logo at this time. However, when I can figure out how to adjust the images for each internal board, such as the Reising and Sten boards, I may customize the peripheral images on the banner for each board, while maintaining the large, center image of the Thompson and board name.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave,

How about a pic of #41 receiver if it can be done in such a way as to be legible? I'll keep a lookout for 15,040, too.

Bob D