Opinions please on this Lend-Lease 28 Thompson

Hi Guys

I would appreciate any input on this 28 Lend-Lease. This is a different one then the dealer I was talking too. Still waiting on pics of that one. This one has matching numbers. Price is $23,950 To my eyes, the receiver just in front of the 1928 markings looks wavy to me. Reblue??

20150503_141510.jpg

20150503_141519.jpg

20150503_141537.jpg

20150503_141639(1).jpg

20150503_141639.jpg

20150503_141645.jpg

20150503_141732.jpg

20150517_095636.jpg

Edited by Thompsonlover

The edges, especially on the compensator and barrel look to have had a bad polish job. The edges are very soft and rounded. My guess is at least some parts have been refinished. I would wonder why...

The edges, especially on the compensator and barrel look to have had a bad polish job. The edges are very soft and rounded. My guess is at least some parts have been refinished. I would wonder why...

I thought it might have been refinished too. To my amateur eyes, the blueing looks thick?? I have emailed the buyer asking if the finish in his opinion, is original.

Going by the pictures I would say that without question this gun has been reblued.

The compensator and sight clearly have the original sharp profile of the machined

edges and crisp engraving rounded from polishing. Also the safety and rocker pivot.

The most obvious place is the front edge of the rear sight base which has been deeply

gouged by polishing - compare to the photo put up by Thompsonlover.

This looks like a nice gun but I would certainly examine it to see if it has been

welded because the gun looks to be in nice enough shape that rebluing was not

necessary. Of course, the gun may have have been reblued 50 years ago long before

Thompsons were as valuable as they are today...

Bob

I agree with reconbob. I believe either the seller is wrong and just has no knowledge of it being refinished since he has owned it or there is dishonesty there. Either way I would not buy w/o viewing it in person to verify condition.

I'd like to see it close up, too. I see some curious things in the center of the drum slot that may suggest reweld. The picture of the upper from the bottom without bolt looks to have weld bubbles, which made me look at the side shots of the ejection port (drum slot area) where I see some uneven lines possibly from grinding welds. Without a closer view, I'm not sure, but it bears further investigation.

U D

The safety and fire-selector lever are not correct for the serial number and appear to have been replaced at a later point in time... They should still be knurled at a Savage-Thompson with that serial number, plus the magazine-catch should be an earlier one without a hole... Just some details that may or may not be important to you, but wanted to point them out.

I just posted photos of a Savage-Thompson in the 63xxx range that features those earlier parts, it might be of interest: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17788

Hi Thompsonlover,

This Thompson is a pre - lease lease one with a British war department arrow and Enfield inspection mark and could be a nice gun to own, but you would need to inspect the gun before you even think about buying.

I agree with Recon Bob and Uncle Dudley do not buy this gun until you know what is going on with receiver.

The early patent numbers are fine.

You can fix the finish on this no problem if you want it to look like it did when it was first made.

As Freddy stated some parts have been changed, but I believe you should be able to find these parts without problems.

Regards,

D

Edited by 765 21D

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I'm a novice at this and that's why I turn to people more knowledgeable about these guns then me.

I will ask the seller if this is a Rewat or if the gun has been rewelded.

Perhaps my statement was unduly optimistic, but to be fair Bob I do not have your trained eye in these matters and that is why I also said the gun needed to be inspected. There is something not right with the inside of the receiver in photo 8 and even I can see that.

I will also add I was only talking about doing a new Du-Lite refinish to the metalwork. I did not see your earlier post about all the other problems with this gun.

D

Edited by 765 21D

In my opinion; the price seems to be good enough that a closer inspection by potential buyers is in order. Pictures can be deceving as everyone knows. If not a welded or repaired reviever it would be a nice shooter. Who knows if a potential buyer makes an offer that they may get it at a lower price?

From the pics shown, looks a refinished reweld, would need to examine in-person.

This is what your looking for in a NY-NY Savage gun.

Darryl

P1010098.JPG

If I am not mistaken this is the same gun we looked at a few weeks ago:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17689

It is an early cash-and-carry Savage Thompson that appears to have been owned by a police department in the USA after the war and was refinished at some point in time. While a careful inspection is in order for any gun that anyone wants to buy, I don't see anything that would make me think this gun has a welded receiver. Please point out the problem(s) with a picture with arrows and an explanation of the issues. I want to learn from this. I am not good at judging the receiver angles from pictures but can state the markings appears deep and sharp - certainly not buffed out. I agree about some of the parts being wrong for this early of a Savage but it probably went through an arsenal rebuild before being imported and sold in the USA. This 28 looks like it would make an excellent shooter and is probably a good candidate to restore to as-issued condition should anyone have the mind. If I was in the market for a Savage 28 shooter, I would look at this one.