Magazine Cleaning

I have become the leading magazine cleaner on this forum. (SELF DESCRIBED) So far 50 down and very few to go. I went on a magazine buying spree and most were WW2 covered in Cosmoline.

Send me your mags and i will clean them for free. Fair warning, i will not send them back :)

Eric

IMG_6002.JPG

Boil them in hot water and skim off the grease and oil when it floats to the top.

That is how we used to clean .22 mags that you cannot take apart.

Works for the big stuff as well.

Make a mesh for the bottom of the pot and pop it on the BBQ.

Gotta keep the wife happy...........

For parts that have a lot of cosmoline heat will cause the cosmoline

to melt and run off the parts - it becomes like 20 weight motor oil. Let

it all run off then while still warm wipe down. Boiling just creates a mess

because whatever you boil them in gets coated with grease. Better way

Is to stand the parts up in an oven on the top rack and put old cardboard

on the bottom rack. The cosmoline will drip onto the cardboard which you

can throw away. Cosmoline is not cheap - I priced it maybe 10 years ago

and back then it was over $40 a gallon.

Bob

To remove cosmoline, what I do most often is set the part on some newspaper on my workbench and clamp an old hair dryer into my bench vice and direct the hot air onto the part

after about 5 minutes, the part will be hot enough to sting your fingers and like Bob says, the cosmo wipes right off

For parts that have a lot of cosmoline heat will cause the cosmoline

to melt and run off the parts - it becomes like 20 weight motor oil. Let

it all run off then while still warm wipe down. Boiling just creates a mess

because whatever you boil them in gets coated with grease. Better way

Is to stand the parts up in an oven on the top rack and put old cardboard

on the bottom rack. The cosmoline will drip onto the cardboard which you

can throw away. Cosmoline is not cheap - I priced it maybe 10 years ago

and back then it was over $40 a gallon.

Bob

Bob,

For the oven method, what temperature on the oven?

Thanks

While I agree with using a hammer to tap some of the harder to install floor plates back in place I would recommend one of these over a claw hammer. The soft faces prevent marring.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/hammers/3-4-nylon-brass-hammer-prod12587.aspx

While I agree with using a hammer to tap some of the harder to install floor plates back in place I would recommend one of these over a claw hammer. The soft faces prevent marring.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/hammers/3-4-nylon-brass-hammer-prod12587.aspx

Agreed and did buy the same one with 5 heads. TY for the advice.

Eric

The best cosmoline / grease remover I've used is the same the armorers used in WWII.

Good ole gasoline, let it soak, brush with a parts brush and rinse with hot water.

Be sure to lightly oil when done.

-Darryl

• 9 months later...

Yep, toss them in the ultrasonic with some simple green and then wipe clean, spray a little Rem oil or other favorite slimy stuff and they will be happy as a clam.

Do you clean all of your gun parts this way? I am thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner and would like to know what people use for a dilution. I read to only use the purple stuff is that true? I am looking at using it on the trigger housing.

Pretty much so. I put my M1 lower in it when it was sticking and only firing one round. I just had my 22 in it the other day. amazing how much crap comes off of them.

Yep, toss them in the ultrasonic with some simple green and then wipe clean, spray a little Rem oil or other favorite slimy stuff and they will be happy as a clam.

Do you clean all of your gun parts this way? I am thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner and would like to know what people use for a dilution. I read to only use the purple stuff is that true? I am looking at using it on the trigger housing.

i bought 20+ from Sportsmans guide.....so ive been through the same thing as you.....hoppe's is what i used

some looked like they had mud inside...some like brand new

i picked out the worst looking 8 to use as shooters....4 would not latch into the gun....so you may find some of your efforts in vain......im guessing i need to bend some feed lips or make a small adjustment......my gun is still in jail, so i havent bothered to resolve my issue.......i think all of us have been right where you are....cleaning out pounds of grease

Drop the magazines in a bucket of mineral spirits and leave them there for about 30 minutes. Then disassemble, dry, oil, and reassemble. Cleaning magazines isn't rocket science for most of us but for some it may be.

• Upvote 1