Phila Ordnance Thompsons on the firing line

One of my customers sent me to this link. The guy in the yellow T-shirt

is firing a M1921 pattern. The guy in the black T-shirt is firing a standard

M1928A1. The M1921 gun has a M1928A1 bolt and H-lock, a Richardson

M1921 actuator, a Diamond K recoil spring guide with urethane buffer, and

a standard M1921 recoil spring. This is a rental range and the guy says the

Thompsons are the most popular guns...easy to see why!

Bob

• Upvote 1

Reconbob, can I place my order now to beat the rush when Trump makes America great again??

Not meant to be a political endorsement or derail the topic, just to offer a chuckle.

Congrats on the great running machines

Ron

• Upvote 1

Great video. My vote goes to the guy in the light shirt. Just a wee bit better control. Any idea what ammo the range uses?

Bob D

Bob,

Great video...and a great product you manufacture. I am curious about the Richardson 21 actuator. These are beautiful but expensive. I am surprised to find one at a rental range. I had one that had not been used very much shear off a cocking knob ear while firing. To Doug's credit, he replaced it without hesitation. However, I have heard this has happened more than once. Can you find out about how many rounds this Richardson actuator has been fired? I would have thought a rental range would have used a GI 1928 actuator cut down to 21style.

A lot of gun shop bubbas and internet forum dwellers say stuff like "the Thompson has bad ergonomics."

Or they say something like, "The Thompson was clearly designed to be shot from the hip."

Then when you see videos like this one, everyone is shooting the gun from the shoulder like they were born with it in their hands.

You see that everyone has a comfortable bend to the elbow of both arms and decent cheek weld.

Edited by buzz

TD - Since you bring it up, the customer wanted the higher rate of fire and was willing to pay the

extra for the parts. The actuator did break - I have not seen it yet but I think one of the ears came

off the cocking knob. Doug has said he will replace it for no charge.

Bob

Bob,

Given what I saw in the video with rental Thompson guns, what I experienced first hand and what I have heard about the Richardson 21 actuators, I am not surprised. Don't get me wrong, the Richardson actuators are a thing of beauty. I am not convinced they are what I would want to use for an everyday shooter Thompson (and I mean everyday since it is a rental gun). I would highly suggest a GI 1928 actuator cut down to 21 style. I have a spare 28 with a smooth ball cut down by PK - maybe we could work out a trade! The Richardson actuator is a great display piece.