Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

maybe they should raise the cost of the Stamp to reflect todays dollars vs 1934??

that $$ could be used to hire more inspectors ??? :happy: :happy: :happy:

Sure lets make the stamp cost $3,800 (rounded up) and thatll work.

in the latest NRA magazine it says Trump added some $$ into the budget for 2019 in an attempt to get NFA down to a 3 month wait

so help is coming...25 more inspectors

i have no doubts if the next Democrat wants to he could raise that stamp to be adjusted for inflation....we are CRAZY lucky it has stayed at $200....if adjusted the suppressor/SBR's wouldnt exist today

The stamp price can't really be adjusted without revisiting the whole act, and if that happened it might get completely tossed out, so no one is going to touch that.

I have a better idea, drop it to $5 and let them make it up in volume!

Revenue from the tax doesn't go to ATF directly anyhow so none of this is relevant. Fact is, it's currently illegal for them to even be collecting it in the first place. Again, no one in congress wants to touch any of this with a 10' pole, so luck has nothing really to do with it. Things plod along at government pace. If privatized I could process forms for $10 and still make a huge margin, but with spending and debt at current and future levels tax revenue is nearly irrelevant.

Since this thread is still active.

Less than 3 months from an individual to our SOT. From the transferor, mail, check cashed, pending to approved.

Time line from the end of February to within the last week...

Edited by fifthmdec

whats the longest anyone had to wait from approved to getting your stamp...im at 15 days and 13 days on the 2 stamps i have coming...im used to 5-7 days....so its odd from my experience......frustrating also

Mine is pending since 1/28/18. Called on 6/8/18 and the lady said Im looking at four more months??? This is an individual transfer.

HT,

If you didn't receive the stamp, how do you know the transfer has been approved???

Jim

i called the atf

when NFA tracker shows its time to be approved i call once a week...plus my sterling had multiple paperwork issues, so i was in contact with the inspector and she told me it was approved....i keep track of everything

approved 5/24 and the other 5/27

neither has shown up at the sellers house yet

i know the atf says it can take 30 days to arrive....its just always been 5-7 days...never more than 7 days for me and ive had over 10 transfers now....both these are to individuals and not a dealer....maybe there is an extra step to check addresses or something that delays it to an individual vs dealer....both of these transfers are 30-90 days behind the nfa tracker graph......so everything has been slow

Right now I think you have to figure 7 months to your door from the check cashed date. I have been told there were only 8 people at atf doing transfers during the Obama admim (hiring freeze) and now there have been 30 more hires approved by trump but it seems the times have been slowly sliding backwards still.

• 2 weeks later...

About a year typically.

Apparently they have "my number" per my frequency of transfer requests and thus therefore assume I'm a freakin terrorist or somesuch.

Yo; NSA.. I served honorably. Terrorists don't file Form 4's.

I'm one of the Good Guys.

Stop busting my balls.

Edited by lightguy

• 2 weeks later...
I had a nov 20 stamp come in door to door 7 months including a screw up where it was mailed back for correction. Nfa tracker is all over the place some less than 6months others 7+ who knows maybe the examiners are taking vacations and i read somewhere the FBI checks are dragging behind too. Ugh

I called last week on an pending SBR. Check cashed 02/2017. I spoke to a woman that sounded like I was wasting her time. I was advised the FBI was behind on background checks and they would get around to approving my stamp when they get around to it. I felt I was being reasonable by waiting over 500 days.

I called last week on an pending SBR. Check cashed 02/2017. I spoke to a woman that sounded like I was wasting her time. I was advised the FBI was behind on background checks and they would get around to approving my stamp when they get around to it. I felt I was being reasonable by waiting over 500 days.

Unbelievable !! I cant understand how some transfers go on forever and some go quickly.

one from 10-18-17 cashed was approved 5-24-18-----still have yet to see a stamp....have sent a letter for a certified copy now

another 12-24-17 cashed was approved 6-22-17----arrived today 7-3-18

just did a C&R...that took 4 weeks exactly!...FYI

Edited by huggytree

I looked on the ATF web site today and found a generic address. Something like ATF.gov and sent my complaint. An hour later I got a reply from David Howell, Branch Chief, NFA Division, advising me to call him right away on his private line. We spoke for some time as he went over contradictory notations in the file. I won't bore you with the details. Basically there was some screw up that brought the whole process to a stop at the FBI. We spoke for about 20 minutes and he gave me the NTN# and advised I call the FBI NICS division. Except the recording says they don't do that over the phone. So I completed an on line appeal and sent it off. They are supposed to respond in 5 days. I can't begin to tell you how helpful Howell was in setting me on the right track to getting this going again. I'll see if I can find the exact web address to direct inquiries on a later post.

My buddie just got his stamp today from a December purchase on a short barrel shotgun.

Don't be surprised if you find the response from FBI less than ideal. The work they do for ATF is not mandatory and therefore gets done as can do and they also don't usually work appeals for other agencies' decisions with the exception of POC states that do FFL checks.

Things can always change, though.

Don't be surprised if you find the response from FBI less than ideal. The work they do for ATF is not mandatory and therefore gets done as can do and they also don't usually work appeals for other agencies' decisions with the exception of POC states that do FFL checks.

Things can always change, though.

The email I used to get a response was from ATF.gov>who we are>local ATF offices>licensing and other services>federal firearms licensing center. On the right side you'll find the email icon and a phone number. The appeal form was on the FBI web site that appears to deal with denials given to those who 'failed' the background an opportunity to contest, explain, and/or provide documentation that the NICS records are incorrect.

atffflc.jpg

Edited by RogerD