Locked bolt on 1928 when moving from semi to full

Good evening.

First 1928...

Have a 1970's 10XXA 1928 and when flipping between semi and full have experienced the bolt locking back...

Is the locked bolt always a sign of weak disconnector?

I have a movie of it happening on the line but can't attach it here.

Thank you for the help!

I was firing my gun fine a few trips to the range. I noticed the last trip when moving between semi and full I had the occasion where after a few bursts the bolt locked to the rear. The magazine was still full. I was able to apply enough pressure and finally release it. This last trip; I was trying to reproduce the conditions. I took a video but can't figure out how to add it here as "media"... Anyway, 30 round Seymour in the gun.... first few pops on semi - no problem. Switched to full and got off a few short burst and now (mag not empty) the bolt is locked to the rear. I cannot release the bolt. The trigger will not allow the bolt to come forward. I can't pull off the bottom group - just locked to the rear as tight as can be. Thank you

Make damned sure chamber is empty. If no amount of manipulation will release the bolt, I believe you'll have to disassemble the fire control group in the lower.

Do a "Search" here for the bolt group being stuck to the rear, there is a thread on it here somewhere. If I remember correctly you do NOT want to pull the pivot pin out in this condition, it will make matters worse and possibly require cutting into the lower to release parts. That's what sticks in my head, might be wrong, do a search.

I was firing my gun fine a few trips to the range. I noticed the last trip when moving between semi and full I had the occasion where after a few bursts the bolt locked to the rear. The magazine was still full. I was able to apply enough pressure and finally release it. This last trip; I was trying to reproduce the conditions. I took a video but can't figure out how to add it here as "media"... Anyway, 30 round Seymour in the gun.... first few pops on semi - no problem. Switched to full and got off a few short burst and now (mag not empty) the bolt is locked to the rear. I cannot release the bolt. The trigger will not allow the bolt to come forward. I can't pull off the bottom group - just locked to the rear as tight as can be. Thank you

Now I understand the problem. Thanks!

Mine did that once, Tracie Hill helped me out.

IIRC, MADE SURE THERE WERE NO LIVE ROUNDS IN THE CHAMBER.

Removed the safety pin lever, using a small dental tool type pick with a small hook on the end, went thru the hole were the safety lever was, pulled down on the sear ( I think) an released the bolt.

After removing the lower, completely disassembled, found a fired primer in the lower obstructing proper trigger operation.

Cleaned thoroughly, reassembled, no more problems.

Good Luck

I had something very similar to this long ago on a westy 28. Don't remember exactly how I got it fixed but there was a small piece of debris caught up in the trigger mechanism. Was able to flush out with spray lube. Didn't have to remove any levers thank GOD.

Another small thing that can happen is the rear grip screw may protrude into the trigger group and cause problems... If the sear won't release through the safety hole you may try that too.. Turn out out a couple twists... If you get it apart look to see that it doesn't protrude inside the lower. Never remove the pivot plate. Safety yes.. As mentioned to lower the sear with a pick. But not the rocker pivot.. don't take that off either.

Another thing to consider is that the disconnector is ratcheting out from

under the sear lever from the vibration of firing. Once the disconnector is

no longer under the sear lever the sear snaps up and holds the bolt and when

you pull the trigger nothing happens.

The leg of the sear lever than engages the disconnector is supposed to be

concave and the top surface of the disconnector is convex so the parts nest

together. If these surfaces are incorrect firing the gun will eventually cause it to

jam as described.

You can easily check this by field stripping the gun, take the trigger frame set

to full auto and fire, hold the trigger back and while holding it strike the side of the

trigger frame 5-10 times with a non marring rawhide mallet. If the striking of the mallet releases

the disconnector out from under the seat lever that is your problem. The fix is to replace

the sear lever, or disconnector, or both, checking that the mating surfaces are as described

above .

Bob

Edited by reconbob

• 4 months later...

Well. I appreciate the advice. That got me out of my issue. I replaced the disconnector spring; reassembled and then -- locked again. This time .. wiggling the trip helped me unlock it again. Seems that the sear isn't fully disappearing with trigger function. More springs! Thank you all that wrote in -- appreciate the support from the community. God bless America!

I’ve experienced the same problem, but both times it was due to debris (a primer) in the lower that kept the sear from fully depressing and thus not allowing the bolt to come forward. I determined the fault was mine for reusing brass too many times - primer pocket was too worn. Removing the pivot plate allowed everything to drop out of the way so the gun could be disassembled.