MGC Modelgun Corp 1921 Thompson

I pick this up along with a World War II jeep I purchased. It appears to have a mechanism for extraction and ejection but the magazine is not functional and the barrel is completely blocked. The fire control mechanism seems to function as would a real Thompson. Does anyone know if these were meant to cycle some type of dummy ammunition?

(Sorry No pics. Im getting a size limit of 14.77k and my phone cant make them that small)

Yes model guns fire a blank cartridge that contains a cap. They will cycle and fire fully auto. There is a whole subgroup of collectors for MGC and other brand guns. A Google search will send you to lots of different sites. Cartridges can be found, but caps are tougher to find in the states. I have a couple and was going to try to get them going but caps are tough to get. Some guns were also deactivated, not sure why, but I have one that had the bolt cut on an angle

Popular in Japan and other places where the people are not trusted to own real guns. Maybe we will become like that too.

Ron

I pick this up along with a World War II jeep I purchased. It appears to have a mechanism for extraction and ejection but the magazine is not functional and the barrel is completely blocked. The fire control mechanism seems to function as would a real Thompson. Does anyone know if these were meant to cycle some type of dummy ammunition?

(Sorry No pics. Im getting a size limit of 14.77k and my phone cant make them that small)

What did you find an MB or a Ford and what year?

The MGC type guns used to be great movie props - now airsoft guns are cheaper and more plentiful.

I have owned dozens of the old Japanese Replicas, and still have a few in the inventory.

Thompson, Madsen, Sterling, MP40, FG42 and about a dozen handguns.

I don't use them much as they're too valuable to drop and toss about, I should probably sell them, but I remember the ads in British gun magazines as a kid and lusted after them, so they have that connection.

The brass cartridges are two part, usually, the 5 or 7mm cap goes inside and a firing pin in the chamber of the gun detonates it with just enough gas expenditure to cycle the action, it's not loud at all, and reloading the cartridges is time consuming, and they're very, very picky, jam a lot, depending on the O-rings inside the resuable cartridges and lubrication.

I have never used the cartridges/caps in any movie, they're just not practical. Real firearms are used with blanks usually if we want a firing effect.

They're really a product for countries where firearm ownership is seriously curtailed.

Here is a link to just about the most informative website for Modelguns - http://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net

m7TM5WHl.jpg

u2U0J84l.jpg

My collection of paratrooper guns. I owned the Jap replicas prior to the real one because I was too poor to own a real one, then I wasn't.

Top down:

Jap G-type,

Kreighoff 1944 G-type - original,

Jap E-type,

Custom E-type

Edited by pitfighter

If you are able to, try uploading your pics to a desk top, resizing them and then post the photos.

This is my MGC. The box identifies it as Thompson M-1921 TAAC Anti-Bandit Submachinegun. I haven't fired it in years but it worked great. They are great replicas down to the drum. I seem to recall MGC drums were used for a time when there were restrictions on the capacity or something.

I also have a Hudson M1A1 model gun but it is missing the firing pin so I've never fired it but it is also very realistic.

BFE81B66-EB93-4F1A-8C70-A1624F7F5D6E_1_201_a.jpeg

I got one years ago in the 1970's as a Christmas Present from my Parents. It was under the Tree.

I was about 12-13, I brought it to School one day for "Show and Tell"

But that's another story.

It cost $99.00 and was advertised in the back of various Firearms Magazines. It came from Collectors Armory in Alexandria Virginia. I had make a trip to their store that Summer and purchased a real German Helmet for $29.00 and MGC Luger for $29.00.

Parents saw how much I like the Thompson and later order it for Christmas with the Drum.

I still that German Helmet, a MGC Luger and the MGC Thompson with the Original Box.

Edited by jojeep

What did you find an MB or a Ford and what year?
41 MB slat grill. (I also have a 52 M38a1 and sold my 42 GPW basket case to make room for the 41)

The deactivated ones can be reactivated with a little TLC.. it still boggles the mind that a toy needed to be deactivated right! The "plug" in your chamber can be removed and a proper plug firing chamber can be reinstalled. There was a guy years ago I had dealings with the had a batch of new ones machined and he sold them. I made my own before I found him. Then after that I fixed a couple with them.

Got mine working then traded it for a 1927A3 rifle.

More pictures of the latest Thompson accessory

Does one of those jeeps cost more or less then a WW2 M1 Thompson?
The Jeep is (a little) less than the Thompson. A nice running and driving restored WWII Jeep can be had for $15,000 to $25,000. Edited by wwiifirearms

More pictures of the latest Thompson accessory

Very Nice! A slat grill no less. We have a 45 MB which was owned by a WWII Vet who was approaching 90. At his age he was having a little trouble getting in and out of it. He was nearly in tears as we trailered it away. Where did find the one you bought?