Look At What I Acquired

I was looking around for parts for my Tribute Gun and well I came across this Colt 1921 Lower and I bought it. It is number 9283. It does have a little part missing, but it is repairable. I think it was the find of the year. Now if I just find the rest of it. What do you guys think about it?

1921 Lower Bottom Side.JPG

1921 Lower Left Side.JPG

1921 Lower Magazine Side.JPG

1921 Lower Right Selector Side.JPG

1921 Lower Stock Selector Side.JPG

1921 Lower Top Side.JPG

Nice find. I looked in Gordon Herigstads book to see if there was any information for 9283, but nothing listed in there, so maybe another one to add to the ‘Newly Discovered Colt Thompson Serial Numbers - Gordon's Quest’ post.

Stay safe

Richard

I'm curious, what did you pay for it.

I have a stripped Colt lower also.

Thanks,

Darryl

The frame for NO 9283 has been on the market for several years. See the below link:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21695

If you search the forum on 9283 you may find additional references.

Tom,

Your memory is better than mine, I just re read the topic and see that I posted on it.

Nice find. I looked in Gordon Herigstads book to see if there was any information for 9283, but nothing listed in there, so maybe another one to add to the ‘Newly Discovered Colt Thompson Serial Numbers - Gordon's Quest’ post.
Stay safe
Richard

Hi Richard. The guy I bought it from said it came from Europe and according to the post from Tom it is certainly from Europe and the guy I bought it from is in Nevada. I am just happy to have it in my possession and I got lucky on a bunch of NOS parts.

Edited by mbc230

The frame for NO 9283 has been on the market for several years. See the below link:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21695

If you search the forum on 9283 you may find additional references.

That is a great post Tom and it is all true as that is who I bought it from. The gentleman in Vegas and it sounds like he is known for selling good quality Thompson parts. I would totally buy from him again. He is honest and tells the truth. I know it is not a trophy piece, but I hope Dan can work his magic on it. I have his information for future parts purchases, but I am still looking for the items in my list if anyone knows where I can acquire them for my Tribute gun. Thanks.

Edited by mbc230

I spent a little time I mean about 5 hours cleaning it. I think it looks 30 x times better now, but I will be sending it off to Don Block for a thorough inspection on it and to fix the missing part on it. See the new picture of the inside. I used gun cleaner and let it soak for a couple days. See pictures. What do you guys think this thing is worth? I do not have a clue. I spoke to Dan about it and it would have to be milled to use it with my tribute gun, but most of you would probably crucify me for that, but I have decided to not do that. I want it to live on as a 1921 Original Part.

1921 Lower Top Side - After02.JPG

Edited by mbc230

I'm curious, what did you pay for it.

I have a stripped Colt lower also.

Thanks,

Darryl

Hi Darryl. I do not want to reveal what I paid for it now at this time, but I potentially will in the near future as I do not know the value of these in today's market. I would be interested to see what it could be worth. Do you have pictures of yours to compare? Thank you.

Edited by mbc230

This was the Gunbroker Auction after several years back and forth: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900596784

Well I see this lower has been around the block, but I also feel it has a lot of potential since I am going to get some work done to it. If all else I can get it converted and use it for my tribute gun as that is why I picked it up, but I would prefer not too and keep it original. I felt like it needed to finally be cleaned up though and repaired properly. I was told it came from Europe so that part is right, but getting the rest of the history on it seems to be a little misinformed. From the looks of it this seller in CT sold it to the guy I bought it from Las Vegas. Now I have it, but I did not pay that high for it. Thank you for the link on the auction.

Edited by mbc230

I spent a little time I mean about 5 hours cleaning it. I think it looks 30 x times better now, but I will be sending it off to Don Block for a thorough inspection on it and to fix the missing part .

Great find.

Since 100% of the removable parts are missing, I am behind the curve:

Could you clarify what is meant by the "missing part"?

Thanks

Edited by mnshooter

I spent a little time I mean about 5 hours cleaning it. I think it looks 30 x times better now, but I will be sending it off to Don Block for a thorough inspection on it and to fix the missing part .

Great find.

Since 100% of the removable parts are missing, I am behind the curve:

Could you clarify what is meant by the "missing part"?

Thanks

If you look at where you clip the magazine too. It is missing one of the guides on it. Dan Block is going to go over it and fix it all the best he can. I think it will for sure improve it and even maybe the value as right now I think it is not usable in it's current state. Thank you.

Edited by mbc230

I spent a little time I mean about 5 hours cleaning it. I think it looks 30 x times better now, but I will be sending it off to Don Block for a thorough inspection on it and to fix the missing part on it. See the new picture of the inside. I used gun cleaner and let it soak for a couple days. See pictures. What do you guys think this thing is worth? I do not have a clue. I spoke to Dan about it and it would have to be milled to use it with my tribute gun, but most of you would probably crucify me for that, but I have decided to not do that. I want it to live on as a 1921 Original Part.

mbc230,

Congratulations on acquiring the frame for NO 9283. It is great to find something you appreciate and have a need for. The known provenance on NO 9283 as one of the French Colt's makes this frame all the more interesting. However, I would suggest you do not get carried away with preserving history. The frame is not in the best condition (was it used as a hammer at one point in time?) and is going to require some metal work to make it serviceable again. Of course, that will ultimately entail the complete frame being refinished or blued again. I do not think any milling operation you need to have performed to make this frame fit your tribute gun would bring the wrath of the forum members. Actually, if the frame was in 99% condition and from a Form 10 cut receiver parts kit, you should do with it what you think necessary to make it suit your needs. The likelihood of finding the matching receiver for NO 9283 is zero. There are a lot of Colt era frames whose receivers have been destroyed or missing that have been put to various uses in the Thompson community. I say let Dan do what you need to have done to this frame. Ultimately, that will preserve this frame for years to come.

All good stuff!!!

mbc230,

Congratulations on acquiring the frame for NO 9283. It is great to find something you appreciate and have a need for. The known provenance on NO 9283 as one of the French Colt's makes this frame all the more interesting. However, I would suggest you do not get carried away with preserving history. The frame is not in the best condition (was it used as a hammer at one point in time?) and is going to require some metal work to make it serviceable again. Of course, that will ultimately entail the complete frame being refinished or blued again. I do not think any milling operation you need to have performed to make this frame fit your tribute gun would bring the wrath of the forum members. Actually, if the frame was in 99% condition and from a Form 10 cut receiver parts kit, you should do with it what you think necessary to make it suit your needs. The likelihood of finding the matching receiver for NO 9283 is zero. There are a lot of Colt era frames whose receivers have been destroyed or missing that have been put to various uses in the Thompson community. I say let Dan do what you need to have done to this frame. Ultimately, that will preserve this frame for years to come.

All good stuff!!!

Thank you for the wonderful post. I might even just go through it and convert it. I will see what Dan says about it when I send it to him in roughly two months. Then I can go and make the decision and you are so correct it is rough looking and I know it needs a lot of work, but we will cross that bridge when we get there I suppose. If it is brought back to life, what do you think it is worth? Thank you for your feedback.

Edited by mbc230

"If it is brought back to life, what do you think it is worth?"

I wouldn't look to add it to your retirement accounts. My guess is that you will put more money into "restoring it" than you will be able to sell it for.

Enjoy it for what it is.

"If it is brought back to life, what do you think it is worth?"

I wouldn't look to add it to your retirement accounts. My guess is that you will put more money into "restoring it" than you will be able to sell it for.

Enjoy it for what it is.

Well I get that, but I am asking opinions on what others think it is worth once it is complete. I will have to politely disagree with you on that as I already got an estimate on what it will take to fix it also applying what I also paid for it. This is based on its current condition and what the past two sellers paid for it. I believe it is worth around $1500 or so, but it could be worth more if I get it restored or I could just convert it, but I will be the caretaker of it and put it to good use either way. We will see.

Edited by mbc230

• 4 months later...

Well it is finally complete. The Colt Lower number 9283 has been brought back to life. It looks awesome and Dan Block did a wonderful job on it. It was test fired and works perfect. I think it turned out really nice considering what this lower has been through. I decided to leave it as an original. I have built it and put my old Colt Wood on it just for display purposes. What do you guys think?

Assembled Colt Lower - Left Side View.JPG

Assembled Colt Lower - Right Side View.JPG

Assembled Colt Lower - Front View - Repaired02.JPG

Assembled Colt Lower - Left Side View with Colt Buttstock.JPG

Assembled Colt Lower - Right Side View with Colt Buttstock.JPG

• Upvote 1

With the wood and parts installed. probably 2 g. as a nice display paperweight or box frame wall hanger.

i have a few thing like that laying around.I don't even bother to value. its stuff collecting dust in time.glad you made it look nicer.

RON K.