WTS 1928A1 made by AutoOrdCo with 'WB' Proof

Here is a really nice Thompson Model 1928A1. Made sometime in the early days of WWII ('WB' Colonel Waldemar Broberg acceptance mark) it is in extremely nice condition and must have had a peaceful time during the war. It shows little use with excellent metal condition and only minor surface finish wear in places typical of handling not firing - the tops of the sights, a little around the Cutts compensator, and a little bit on the actuator knob. If you are looking for an early war model this one is hard to beat. After the war it was owned by the Van Nuys California police department. It has the 'CPD' stamp on the pistol grip. It comes with a 20 round Seymore magazine and a really nice 'mustard' Kerr M3 sling dated 1945 both in equally nice condition. $28,000 shipped.

Registered on form 4 in Michigan. Once payment is received, if you like, I will field strip the gun and ship everything but the barreled receiver with the Form 4. Once the transfer is approved I will ship the barreled receiver. Of course the is a C&R gun so if you have a C&R license you can have this transferred and shipped directly to you.

More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/PEdVbyq

I have a lot more photos as well, just let me know what parts you want to see. Thank you for looking.

Modified to show correct butt stock (the other was a 'range' stock) and the sling added. Lowered price.

July 21 P1480925P1480925P1480925P1480925.jpg

Edited by skoda
  • Upvote 1

Bridgeport:

The bolt and Blish lock are AOC as is the grip bar, the actuator is a Savage as is the barrel. I need to open it up and see what the other parts are marked.

Geez, I'm stupid. Thanks for pointing out the cross bolt stock. That was one from a parts kit that I put on to take it out for one last magazine of fun before I sold it. The original butt stock doesn't have the cross bolt and is in better shape. I need to go back and take some new pictures.

Dan K: I'm near Dee-Troit.

Speaking of parts kits, I have one plus some more barrels and other bits that I will be selling once I have a buyer for the TSMG. Of course the buyer of the gun would have first access to those.

What is the finish on it? It looks parked.

A dull black finish. Dulite is my best guess. I don't see any refinish stamps on it. But then I'm not a Thompson expert, I like all kinds of odd guns but don't specialize in any one.

What is the finish on it? It looks parked.

A dull black finish. Dulite is my best guess. I don't see any refinish stamps on it. But then I'm not a Thompson expert, I like all kinds of odd guns but don't specialize in any one.

The reason I ask is that it doesn't look like the WB or ordnance wheel stamps cut through the finish. They were applied to finished guns. If they look like they were applied before the finish, it is a refinish. Also, the barrel doesn't look blue which would be its original finish.

• 2 weeks later...

What I have is a sticker that says Van Nuys PD. It's just a cheap round sticker. I bought the gun in 1999 from J Curtis Earl and the sticker was on it. He used to note where he got the guns from. When I visited him I saw those kinds of stickers on a lot of guns in his inventory. I wanted to buy an M3 off of him that was used in the film industry but someone got it a day or two before me. He had a lot of MGs then. Well over a million dollars worth then, who know what they are worth now. He had a rack of Reising M50s for $500 each. Interesting guy by the way, not the devil that many seem to think of him.

I don't see the CPD on any other part. Maybe Cleveland traded it to a dealer who sold it to Van Nuys.

Its pissinle Cleveland did some dealings with him OR the stock was sperated from its host at some point. Typically Cleveland guns had a high front sight on them. One of the board members is part of the Cleveland PD musem and night be able to run the serial number.

If the stock wasnt original to the gun, I wouldnt mind having it due to the Ohio origins of it.

I could take a photo but you would be disappointed. It's one of those fluorescent color stickers, about one inch round, that you can buy in an office supply store. Earl used them for inventory reasons. He had a lot of MGs and they were coming and going from his inventory. He was a dealer more than a collector. The sticker was not from the police department.

• Upvote 1

May I suggest a Freedom of Information Act request. The results may offer a clue or two as to the past history. Contact me via a PM and I will help with the paperwork.