Grease or oil?

Here is the recommendation I got from PK when he did my Tommy.

"It may sound contrary, but friction is your friend when it comes to delayed blowback systems, to a point. Unfortunately, we pretty well ran ourselves out of Sperm Wales some time ago, but we have made strides in refining petroleum."

"I do not recommend grease, except for a small dab on the hammer where it contacts the receiver. I also do not recommend any of the ‘super lube’ oils. Whale oil was a simple as it got in the day, plain light mineral oil is as close as you get today, such as Hoppes Gun Oil."

PK

I've always used CLP (Breakfree) or my own home-made Red CLP.

I don't hold back either....lots of oil as it prevents wear and makes it easy to wipe out grime, carbon and unburned powder and residue, then add a bit more and keep shooting.

I keep it in a spray bottle. You get used to the taste as excess sprays out the back of the pilot buffer hole.

My homemade stuff is a big recipe I gleaned from American Gunsmith......2 gallons low odor kerosene, 2 gallons low odor mineral spirits, 3 quarts Marvel Mystery oil and one quart of Rislone engine treatment. The stuff is amazing at preventing rust and I keep three gallons in a five gallon pail with a gamma seal lid and a big metal pasta basket in the bottom. Dump the other two gallons in the mineral spirits jugs to add as filler as you use it up) I use it to clean guns, dunk and soak parts and even rinse my drums out with it. Just clean and let the parts drain a bit on a piece of cardboard, then wipe the outside dry and assemble. The stuff works as good as Military CLP but a bit better in cold weather as it is watery-thin. protects better than Ed's Red for rust too.

I use a battery filler bulb to suck it up and squirt it here and there as it won't eat the red rubber bulb on that tool. Also a parts brush, toothbrush and a couple cleaning rods with 9mm on one, .45 brush on th3e other.....just keep it all in the bucket.

In-between bucket cleanings I just use regular CLP (surplus bought by the gallon) in a spray bottle.

Note: Have gone to the range a couple times and forgot my oil bottle.....used 0W20 or 5W20 Mobil 1 with great success. Even used 0W20 off the dipstick once to lube up my STen.

The general rule is to use grease where metal on metal.

Before switching to grease, I used to oil the Thompson so much when you did a mag dump my glasses would be full of splatter.

This is probably why you see all the gangsters firing the Thompson from their hip. :D

Thanks for all the replies.

Who is PK?

PK is Paul Krogh of Diamond K Machining. He is, arguably the undisputed expert gunsmith with regard to all things Thompson. The waiting list for his work is over 5 years in length, and from what I understand he is no longer adding to the waiting list. There are several other excellent gunsmiths who do Thompson work but PK is kind of the Thompson Guru. His work seems to be a mixture of expert knowledge, exceptional skill, and magic.

Actually PK is retiring

He is member on this site as PK.

See PK's post of 11Jan22. He did not say he was retiring just slowing down his operation and his queue was much too large continue accepting full scale work on Thompsons which led to people assuming he was retiring. I am sure that some day he will retire completely but not yet.

Edited by Tiz

He stopped accepting work over a year ago. He even sent messages he wouldn't be doing some people who was on the queue.. It sounded like he was going to stop. I'll have to look at the post again, but that was my understanding.

I use a light brush with LSA or CLP oil followed by a little white grease on the bolt wear points on the M-1. When running Merle's 22 kit just oil worked best for me.

Thanks for all the replies.

Who is PK?

PK is Paul Krogh of Diamond K Machining. He is, arguably the undisputed expert gunsmith with regard to all things Thompson. The waiting list for his work is over 5 years in length, and from what I understand he is no longer adding to the waiting list. There are several other excellent gunsmiths who do Thompson work but PK is kind of the Thompson Guru. His work seems to be a mixture of expert knowledge, exceptional skill, and magic.

PK does amazing work!

With an M1 or M1A1, the buffer pilot/guide rod assy. does not block the spray of oil like it does on a '28. If you run the bolt wet you get a face full until it pumps out. Mostly grease and just a very little bit of oil on the bolt works best