1928A1 Auto Ordnance Frame

Gentles,

I am looking for the above frame. I have a legal full-auto Auto Ordinance Thompson with a US military 1928A1 frame. The military frame is about 1/16 (maybe?) longer than the AO receiver. Anyone want to trade or have an idea?  Should i just have the MIiltary frame milled down to fit flush with the rear of the AO receiver?

Something ain't right... can you post pics?

Or send me a PM if you cannot yet post pics, I will post them.

I suspect one or the other part has been fooled with. Not a welded up gun, is it?

Edited by giantpanda4

After rereading your post and others' speculation, if it's an M1/M1A1 with a 1928 frame, sounds normal.

I wouldn't mill down a $700+ original frame, personally... I'm sure there's someone out there who would trade for a frame that's more correct to your gun.

Edited by spall

Jacob,

Welcome to the Thompson Forum. Do not be modifying anything until you understand the cause of the problem. Posting pictures is the best way to obtain good advice on the nature of your problem. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

One other bit of advice. Ordnance is spelled ORDNANCE - drop the letter "i" 

We have all made that mistake. Do a quick edit and no one will ever know!  

Quick question: Are the letters "NAC" part of the serial number? I look forward to seeing your pictures. 

• Like 1

• dalbert changed the title to 1928A1 Auto Ordnance Frame
On 4/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, giantpanda4 said:

Gentles, Well, duh....I should have known to post a few images. Here ya go!  This was the first Class 3 i bought WAY back when. Paid around $300.00 for it. I  would gladly consider trading this frame for an AO frame, if such exists. Also, I need a correct rear sight?  Been looking for drums, but all I find state they won't fit an AO made in West Hurley before 1990. Mine hits all of those.........

Thank you so much for the replies and the help. Oh, and THANKS for the kind correction. (Ordnance) I think my misspelling came from my urban Southern accent. 🙂 Some of these are a bit fuzzy so if you need a sharper shot of something, let me know. I"ll never sell this one, as it has a special place due to the seller. Oh, and it's completely legal. Papered, signed, tax paid, blessed, covered and smothered......😊

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

Edited by Jacob
remove unnecessary photos

And maybe its just some fuzz or a piece of hair, but it looks like ya might have a hairline crack at the rear of the receiver, top left side from the pilot hole.

Yes, M1 frame on Westie 28.

You may pay more nowadays for a 1928 frame than you did for the whole gun!

Jacob,

Also, if you don't want to buy a Lyman rear sight, I've got a WH rear sight off of my gun (878A) that I'll give you if you want. I think I have a set of Doug Richardson rivets to go along if I can find them. PM me if interested.

Chief762

Edited by Chief762

Gentles,

So, I now understand this is a parts gun. Somewhat disappointing, but I'll live.  :-).  So how would i go about trading my military frame for a WH frame?  Went to the link for frames, but i'd have to blue and assemble the interior parts. I think I could do the assembly with the help of the folks here, but my blueing always looks like I blued it..ya know..

I have fitted a drum but it was an original which I don't have access to anymore, unfortunately.  So, the quest continues.  THANKS for the help!

Looks like a prior owner moved the WH pivot, safety, and pilot to a GI M1/M1A1 frame. These parts usually had the purplish color seen here. They were of low quality and most WH M1928 owners have replaced them with GI. 

You have a Frankengun. So bottom line, have you shot it? Does it cycle or is it a jam-o-matic? If it shoots well, I would get a 28 frame, sell the m1/m1a1 frame, look at all of the internals in the receiver and see if they are gi parts. If they are, don't put anymore money into it, buy bullets and enjoy. 

Yes, I have shot it quite a few times. Shoots great. Back then, didn't know all the particulars (don't know much now about 1928s), but I had a friend that owned a heavy machine gun factory. Took it there and and all the quirks ironed out. Had to headspace, bought an original actuator, fixed the feed problem, etc. Makes sense now that it had all those  problems. But they got it running well. Since I do living history WW2, used it in several reenactments.  However, I don't reenact much anymore, so it has sat quietly in the gun safe.  Even though it's a mongrel, I still can't part with it over sentimental reasons--which is rather silly, but there it is.  

I'll keep on my search for a WH frame to match the receiver, keep the internal military parts to change over and just go from there i guess.  Seems it will always be a parts gun, so shaving down the military frame is still on the table really. 

Thanks for all the help folks!

3 hours ago, TSMGguy said:

Looks like a prior owner moved the WH pivot, safety, and pilot to a GI M1/M1A1 frame. These parts usually had the purplish color seen here. They were of low quality and most WH M1928 owners have replaced them with GI. 

.............and that I will do!!

You might find someone willing to trade a USGI 1928 trigger frame for your AOC Bridgeport M1 USGI frame for. I am NOT your guy. Your USGI M1 trigger frame has enough value I would advise against milling it.

As Giant Panda said you will need a 1928 buttstock assembly for a 1928 trigger frame. I would look for a complete stock assembly so you may see how the slide and butt plate fits the wood. Your non crossbolt M1 stock has more value then a later crossbolt stock. I also agree it appears the West Hurley purple tint rocker pivot and safety are in your M1 trigger frame.