Is this legit?

morke,

Thank you for asking for advice on NO 992. I am so glad you have not purchased NO 992 thinking it is original. 

I could do a clinic on this Colt. If you buy it, I want to take pictures to show the world everything that is wrong with it. I was not planning on another book, but to do a 20-page chapter on this Colt showcasing all that is wrong with it would be a real pleasure, to wit: 

At a fast glance I can tell you the barrel has 28 fins and the grip mount is on the 20th fin - definitely not Colt's. Note how far the buffer pilot sticks out the back of the receiver. I believe it may have a WWII actuator and buffer pilot installed. The magazine catch is definitely WWII. The case is a reproduction, probably the same for the long cleaning rod and the L drum is WWII. The frame may also be WWII. The 1936 catalog is a repro. The frame markings are not correct for this early of a Colt's and serial number has been removed. I have seen that type of frame serial number removal previously. I am thinking Numrich Arms but that is only a guess for now. I would have to do some research, not that it matters. My guess is NO 992 has been refinished. The grip and buttstock are not Colt's. The fore grip may be Colt's but probably refinished. 

I could probably spot 5 to 10 more problems if I had it in-hand or spent more time looking at the pictures. 

May I suggest you go to Amazon.com and purchase, An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun. But more importantly, read and study what the book offers. It will be the best money you have ever spent if you are in the market for Colt Thompson submachine gun and believe NO 992 is original. I say that not to sell a book, but to offer something that may save you thousands of dollars in the future. 

I am curious about the price. If you do not want to post the asking price, I would appreciate a PM. 

• Like 1

Morke,

The receiver is probably original. The finish is probably not original. The rest of the gun is mostly not correct, including the frame and barrel. It is a shooter grade Colt at best. Period. If you have my Amateur's Guide book, compare the pictures you posted to the original Colt's in the book. Read the captions. There is a wealth of information in the captions. You're not asking the right questions.  If you do not have my book and are still interested in this Colt, be prepared to be very disappointed when the transfer is approved. 

To be clear, after listening to your observations I would never purchase this gun as described.  I checked and I do indeed have your book and have read it although not recently.  I appreciate your work to educate us buyers -- I merely found it easy, as an initial investigation, to ask opinions of this board (why else would the board exist?)  

My reaction to this is that it is a shame that the original 992 no longer exists, for whatever reason, and we are left with a fake.  Keep up your efforts to educate buyers.

morke,

I am very appreciative that you asked questions about NO 992 on the Board, posted pictures, and allowed the many members to see a Colt with this many problems. The comments about originality or authenticity are why I jumped in this thread. NO 992 is the perfect example of how someone that does not understand the product can spend way too much money for a poor example of a Colt Thompson.

That said, NO 992 is not a fake. It is an original Colt Thompson submachine gun - receiver. Unfortunately, most of the remaining parts that comprise NO 992 today are not original. And the finish on the receiver is probably not original. NO 992 is a shooter grade Colt. There is nothing wrong with a shooter grade Colt as long as one understands what they are looking at (or buying). In addition, there is a huge difference in value between a shooter grade Colt with many non-original parts, including the barrel, frame and at least two pieces of wood, and a Colt Thompson in original condition. However, if priced right, it may be the Colt for you. I would enjoy having a 3-digit Colt shooter - at the right price! 

All good stuff!!!

The first Colt Thompson that I bought was a shooter grade and I paid a shooter grade price; and when I sold it, I sold it for a shooter grade price.  It was a great shooter!  Much more "slick" than the WWII era all original Savage 1928 that I bought and later sold.  At the right price, a shooter grade Colt Thompson is well worth having, IMHO.

Just curious, would it be worth it to pick this gun up and replace the non-Colt parts with the real thing, over a period of time? Would you have more in it than it was worth by the time the project was complete?

Again, just curious.

Mark

Edited by Rabbit57

$25 to $30 g might work to buy the whole set. It does say Colt not Hurley on it and has paperwork. If you want to spend that much to shoot and watch the Untouchables with that in your lap. And a pretty hard case to look at. But 60 G..........

KEEP SHOPPING. or make him the offer. its probably a consign gun anyhow. {that's all i hear today} it's not ours, we are selling it for Batman,, RON K.

Auto ord co bullet logo should be on top. and semi automatic and full automatic on lower.A nice looking compared to some Colts i have seen held and shot. For a Shooter and lap Colt.AND SINCE CASE IS REPRO. and probably mags are all ww2 and who knows what drum. $25 g.deal cash, or $30g if you need it bad.if i was 20 years younger i would plunk down 25 and walk and shoot it display it and fondle it watching SAHARA. HA HA

IT IS A" WHO CARES" PURCHASE.I have a few good close friends who would buy it in a minute for that. Why? because they told me they ain't spending any 50 60 70  G on any Colt Thompson anymore.

unless 70 g is pocket change for you now.

I had guys 20 years ago who did not want to pay $10 g 12 when i was selling 25 darn Colts at one time. it took a little over 6 months to move them all out.And offered Earl $250 g to buy his stash of Colts and he said $350 g will do it.We went out for chinese i ended up paying that night.And went home.WITH MY TAPED INTERVIEW.

I can say this.i would not want to be doing Thompsons today. for every buyer who was great i had freaking 3 crybabies.

And some up into the last 3 years told me at SAR show I should have bought that Colt from you. And like Ray Liotta said in the good fellas g.t.f.outta here....LoLpost-504-0-94905500-1581545199_thumb.jpg.

RON K.

• Like 1