LMG fever

Mojopin2010

Thinking about getting  a LMG of some flavor after firing a Lewis gun recently ( missed my m240 days).  I figure about a 30k budget and would prefer something that is easy to maintain for a low IQ person like myself. 

There is a reasonably priced type 96 on G/B I think, are the 7.62x39 conversions viable??

Hi Mojopin2010,

For bullet-proof fun, the 1919A6 isn't too bad.  They run so well as to be boring (right!).

For magazine fed I'm partial to the Bren (some searching for one @ 30k).  There were a few Vickers and a few Maxim 08's available quiet reasonably but water and LMG don't mix.

I'd lean to the 1919-A6.  Shouldn't cost that much so you have money for spares and ammo.

BTW, I dream of a Lewis.  They really look like fun.

Enjoy the hunt,

Grasshopper

Well.....why not buy a Lewis?  One of the lowest parts count MG's in existence.  Simple, easy to work on, most wear parts cheap and common.   M16 with LMG upper?

The Jap stuff runs marginally....but as they say "it was cheap", then they don't talk about it anymore, like the guys that run Tippmans.

If you find a Bren for 30K, yes you should buy it instantly, even if it's cut in half and registered.

ZB26 is generally still sub 30K, but parts have become scarce.

Lots of other choices.  Non-C+R BAR, but they are boring big deer rifles.

Why not get a Lewis?  They can be had in your price range, especially if you can deal with a .303.

Honestly, there aren't a lot of transferable LMGs in your price range; Madsens, Chauchats and maybe a few others

I second the 1919.   Reliable and plentiful spare parts.

However, I've got a Lewis (first machinegun I ever bought) and it is a hoot to shoot.

Japanese LMGs are inexpensive but parts are hard to come by and 6.5 or 7.7 Jap ammo is expensive.

Brens are durable, well-made and very pleasant to shoot but expect to pay $50K or more - if you can find one!!!

Although most WW I belt-fed MGs are anything but light, they are out of vogue right now and asking prices seem to reflect that.

The 7.62x39 conversions can be finicky working. They require an adapter in the magazine well and modified AK47 magazines. The guns tend to run away some times with the conversion due to the power of the 7.62x39 round being lower. So if you can keep a gun tuned up then its not too bad. Parts for the Type 96/99 LMG are not too hard to find since the unregistered guns keep popping up and getting torched. They can be expensive but the gun is a cheap transferable so you can't have it all.

I have several transferable LMGs and I like to collect the controllable ones.

• Stoner 63a - way out of your price range but a great LMG.
  • Swedish Kg m/37 - Swedish version of the BAR with better everything over the US BAR. - extremely rare (only know of 3 in the US)
  • M16 open bolt LMG - super controllable and fun. if you already have an M16 this would be a great way to upgrade it.
  • ZB26 - top of your price range. Spares have become very rare but Chinese did make parts to convert it to 7.62x39 as well.
  • Japanese Type 99 LMG - cheap price but as mentioned above. Its the least controllable of my LMGs.

I owned a 1919A4 but hated dragging out the tripod and other heavy shit for it. I don't really consider it a LMG though some do. I sold it off and glad I did.

Have you thought about a heavy barrel FAL in the LMG configuration? Fairly cheap considering and parts still common as are magazines. Not a real smooth gun though.

I agree witht he others get a Lewis if you like them.

5 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

If a BAR clone is on your list of possibles, these are just outside your budget and probably worth considering

https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32944-wts2-ermco-bars-on-form-4s/

Just saw that today, gotta wait till this wilson tube mp-40 deals works through. 

Overtime is pretty insane so need a few months to save up. 

I will add my support for the Lewis.  Mine is in .30-06, so ammo is easy to find.  But, parts and magazines are very pricey!!  The .303 guns are within your price and parts and magazines are much more available and reasonable.

The Lewis is extremely robust, reliable, and easy to work on.  It is also very easy to shoot well, and always attracts a lot of attention.  Just don't go throwing the pans in the mud  (WW1 trench reference)!

I agree with all statements above. While I love my Japanese machine guns! Having a few 96s and a 99 plus a 11 they all are exceptional. However finding singular parts are not easy to find and the only real way to aquire parts is a parts kit. Also adapting stuff to a 96 is hard, not saying it can't be done, but a friend of mine Edwin Libby ( Now passed away) used to say adapting 96 barrels  espically ones with knife swinging barrel detach arm, could be the biggest pain. As when the guns came out of the factory they were only supposed to accept the two matching live barrels and the scarce blank barrel. Not saying adapting 96 barrels haven't been done, but they are crucial in getting them just right and sometimes, might not even adapt! It's nice that the one in the auction one comes with a spare barrel with original cap, but they were not all interchangeable Like are MG barrels were of course. However mine in 6.5 are a dream to shoot, and cannot attest to one in 7.62x39, as I have always loved the original calibers! 

FWIW Gary's Bunker has a transferable Lewis listed for $20K.  It has literally been through the wars as evidenced by a bullet hole in the barrel shroud

https://www.garysbunker.com/the-following-are-fully-transferable-firearms-on-atf-form-4s/

FWIW I don't know them or the gun and have no interest financial or otherwise in posting this but they seem to be highly regarded from some of what I've read on line and the price is attractive

Big +1 for Gary! On the advice of Ian McCollum, I sent my MAS 38 (which wouldn't work worth a darn) to Gary a couple years ago and he got it up and running perfectly with less than a 2 week turnaround time and for very little money.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2023 at 10:50 PM, Mongo said:

I owned a 1919A4 but hated dragging out the tripod and other heavy shit for it. I don't really consider it a LMG though some do. I sold it off and glad I did.

I don't necessarily disagree with this statement...but you have to admit the 1919a4 is one of the most versatile & reliable, dedicated belt-feds available on the transferables market. 

Caliber versatile:  from the original 30.06 to 7.62x39 with a bunch in between.

Configuration versatile:  works on many different tripods, spade grips readily available.  A6 "LMG" configuration.  Original closed-bolt or open-bolt operation.

I'm getting up in age to where I appreciate not having to drag a bunch of stuff to the range as well...which is why I've configured my (2) F/A 1919s in a more modern (M240B style) LMG setup.  They're very nice to shoot and I'm not dragging anything to the range except gun + ammo + range kit.  Both have open-bolt kits in them.

I posted some pics & video of my "pM240Bmg" LMGs over on 1919a4.com a couple days ago.  Here's a link:  Open Bolt pM240Bmg outing (pics & video)

• 1 month later...

I’d recommend a Lewis as well.  As far as bipod guns though, I own an MG42, MG34, M60E6, Bren MKI, FG42 Type 1, HK23E, Colt BMR (BAR), Hotchkiss Portative, Jap Type 11, Jap Type 96, and Lewis Gun, and I’m sure a few others I can’t think of right now, and the Lewis Gun is actually the most enjoyable one to shoot.  A real gem! It’s also usually in your price range, and a super cool and historical gun.  But it!