Outside diameter of Swedish K shroud?

Hundreds of the select fire kits came in the last decade (time flies!). I've seen kits supplied with the clip and a lot of kits with no magwell clip.  The magwells are supplied loose on all of these kits.  I think the Swedes simply riveted the same magwell in place (through the same clip holes) to create the "fixed" magwell.  All same same design and production, only the "fixed" ones were simply riveted in place.  I have no knowledge that these kits were riveted and have never seen cut rivets supplied with any of the kits.  Depending on what you read, the police models are also supposedly painted black.  Have never seen a black kit myself, all green.  

My late father in law who did 2 tours in Vietnam instantly recognized my green K (Pearl gun) when I got it some 20 years ago.  He remembered the green.  Said a lot of civilian-looking guys ("spooks" as he called them) would carry them in Saigon / other places as a status symbol.  

The real spec guns do not hold a drum in place.  I had a pre-sample like that. You have to very slightly file a bit of the receiver away so the drum will latch on the mag catch.  I left the pre-sample gun as original when I sold it years ago.  With a tube gun, of course I'm going to have a removable magwell, even though I rarely shoot drums anymore. I guess I could use fake rivets to hold it in place to make any purists happy.  I don't care that much.  You see fake takedown pins on lots of MP5 non-pushpin conversions.  All glued in place for looks.  

I understand, but no m45B’s were manufactured with removable mag wells.  M45’s with removable mag wells were mostly converted to M45B’, with mag wells welded up. 

All sPort Said guns were m/45 Kpist versions with removable mag wells. 

the juts that were imported were mostly m45B’s. 

I just pulled out my copy of Frank Iannamico's "The Smith & Wesson Model 76 Submachine Gun" book.  This is a great resource and "must have" for the family of guns starting with the Swedish K (nicely covered in the book).  Frank has a number of great pictures of the variants showing the riveted magwell on the "fixed" magwell guns, including the "BE" designated police select-fire variant.

Out of curiosity I pulled one of my spare select-fire parts kits and sure enough, the kit is drilled, and the magwell is just like the "removable magwell version".  I guess that explains why most kits don't come with the clip - it never had one (was riveted).  Interesting.20240213_214446.thumb.jpg.1861b297959265267175a2d99923d7f0.jpg20240213_214512.thumb.jpg.2d4b4b490b090e517f6efb3103a7f8b8.jpg

Suomi barrels fit my K perfectly. I cut one down to 1" past the shroud and threaded it, and put a 3 lug adapter on. Works great!

All those parts are out there, you just have to be fast before someone else gets them. See them on Sturm all the time.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:59 PM, rpbcps said:

Still got a couple of original breech oilers, if anyone is interested PM me 

Stay safe

Richard

9 hours ago, Lewisfan said:

I just pulled out my copy of Frank Iannamico's "The Smith & Wesson Model 76 Submachine Gun" book.  This is a great resource and "must have" for the family of guns starting with the Swedish K (nicely covered in the book).  Frank has a number of great pictures of the variants showing the riveted magwell on the "fixed" magwell guns, including the "BE" designated police select-fire variant.

Out of curiosity I pulled one of my spare select-fire parts kits and sure enough, the kit is drilled, and the magwell is just like the "removable magwell version".  I guess that explains why most kits don't come with the clip - it never had one (was riveted).  Interesting.20240213_214446.thumb.jpg.1861b297959265267175a2d99923d7f0.jpg20240213_214512.thumb.jpg.2d4b4b490b090e517f6efb3103a7f8b8.jpg

Ah ha. That explains it! thanks for the additional research. From what I read, most of the KPIST m/45's, that had removable mag wells were likewise modified by the Swedes to a fixed well. This also explains why most of the MB and L Series K's are Port Said, which were all m/45's with removable wells.

54 minutes ago, Slowmo said:

So to anyone who may be interested (and timely to this discussion), I woke up to a notice that Pike Arms has the threaded Swedish K barrels in stock. Just a week or so ago I was told by phone they weren’t sure when it would happen, so this is a pleasant surprise.

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/07396

No pics, are they blued?

23 minutes ago, BPinFL said:

Suomi barrels fit my K perfectly. I cut one down to 1" past the shroud and threaded it, and put a 3 lug adapter on. Works great!

All those parts are out there, you just have to be fast before someone else gets them. See them on Sturm all the time.

Thanks! Good to know that is an option.

5 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

No pics, are they blued?

Good question, I did not think to ask. Already went ahead and ordered one, so I guess I will find out eventually and will report back. I've bought Uzi barrels from them before, and I know they are offered in both phosphate and in the white. Not sure if they provide blued as an option or not.

3 hours ago, Slowmo said:

Thanks! Good to know that is an option.

Good question, I did not think to ask. Already went ahead and ordered one, so I guess I will find out eventually and will report back. I've bought Uzi barrels from them before, and I know they are offered in both phosphate and in the white. Not sure if they provide blued as an option or not.

K barrels are blued. Interesting. IO does the same thing, you have to actually have to ask otherwise they come in the white.

I did not realize how scarce the OEM K barrels have become. Luckily I have two extra stashed away, one a Crown unit, the other Port Said.

Interesting reading on this thread. I used to have parts kits for nearly all jy sub guns, sadly sold them off a few years back, and now paying much more to replace them when available.  My first K was a Pearl conversion, green paint with a removable mag well. My "new" K also has a removable mag well,  FWIW. Now I gotta look into a suppressor for it.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:21 AM, BillinBama said:

Interesting reading on this thread. I used to have parts kits for nearly all jy sub guns, sadly sold them off a few years back, and now paying much more to replace them when available.  My first K was a Pearl conversion, green paint with a removable mag well. My "new" K also has a removable mag well,  FWIW. Now I gotta look into a suppressor for it.

Get Joe Jones to build you one like my SOG Vietnam version. Way toooooooooo cool!

On 2/14/2024 at 6:59 AM, Slowmo said:

So to anyone who may be interested (and timely to this discussion), I woke up to a notice that Pike Arms has the threaded Swedish K barrels in stock. Just a week or so ago I was told by phone they weren’t sure when it would happen, so this is a pleasant surprise.

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/07396

So to report back, my threaded Swedish K barrel came today. After ordering, I realized I was not sure if or how it was finished, nor whether it was extended. A bit of a dice roll in hindsight. Turns out it is nicely parkerized like many of their other barrels. It also is extended to about 9” overall length, so I don’t see why someone couldn’t mount a suppressor with a standard-length shroud if desired. 

12 hours ago, Slowmo said:

So to report back, my threaded Swedish K barrel came today. After ordering, I realized I was not sure if or how it was finished, nor whether it was extended. A bit of a dice roll in hindsight. Turns out it is nicely parkerized like many of their other barrels. It also is extended to about 9” overall length, so I don’t see why someone couldn’t mount a suppressor with a standard-length shroud if desired. 

Sounds very similar to the M76 extended barrels sold by Andrey. Extended just enough (with threads) to mount a traditional can.

39 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

Sounds very similar to the M76 extended barrels sold by Andrey. Extended just enough (with threads) to mount a traditional can.

KAK is currently selling threaded extended M76 barrels as well, should anyone need one:

https://kakindustry.com/s-w-model-76-barrel-8-9/

They're also selling a short threaded M76 barrel as well as a short shroud. 

• 3 weeks later...

So a little late to the thread after signing up. Thanks for the Pike link. Have to be oportunistic during windows of parts availability; funny how the nfa habit also turns you into parts hoarder.

I used one of the KP-31 barrels from BRP for my can project. Cut it down and threaded about an 1/8" from shroud. That let me use an old Trinity can with a GSL fixed adaptor and unmodified shroud. I was pleased with the result.

I also picked up one of the 16" barrels in the white from IO. Had to turn down the rib OD about 0.01" to fit the K's trunion, but then had plenty of clearance to ceracoat it. Now I can at least mail it registered usps without grief (at least until they change rules again).

20240216_142447.jpg

20240216_142200.jpg

IMG_5355.thumb.PNG.d133726fe8f2e6e81ef56a9c74525643.PNGIMG_5355.thumb.PNG.d133726fe8f2e6e81ef56a9c74525643.PNG

11 hours ago, Mark5 said:

So a little late to the thread after signing up. Thanks for the Pike link. Have to be oportunistic during windows of parts availability; funny how the nfa habit also turns you into parts hoarder.

I used one of the KP-31 barrels from BRP for my can project. Cut it down and threaded about an 1/8" from shroud. That let me use an old Trinity can with a GSL fixed adaptor and unmodified shroud. I was pleased with the result.

I also picked up one of the 16" barrels in the white from IO. Had to turn down the rib OD about 0.01" to fit the K's trunion, but then had plenty of clearance to ceracoat it. Now I can at least mail it registered usps without grief (at least until they change rules again).

20240216_142447.jpg

20240216_142200.jpg

Very nice. This is my integrated unit.