Shoulder vs. Hip

With the recent chatter about shooting position I decided for a little fun test. Five targets kind of in a rough approximation on the metal plates at tracies shoot...

30 rounds.

Short answer is both worked in that all five targets were hit with more than one shot. Time difference negligible. Rounds on target were a few less for the hip. I ended up doing 7 bursts from the hip where as I did five from the shoulder driving all the remaining mag into the last target aka falling plate strategy.

Hope you guys get out and shoot this weekend.

killed the cardboard silhouette either way looks like.....question should also be about time....how much more time does it take to raise the weapon up to your shoulder vs hip vs accuracy of both methods

is that extra second worth it to raise the gun

i enjoyed your test....good shooting

Edited by huggytree

Dan.

You forget that everyone is not an artist with tommy as you are:-)

Great shooting & many thanks and prayers to our vets.

Darryl

Back in 1980 I had an opportunity to shoot a friends West Hurley after not having fired one since 1965.

For reasons I never understood my friend required me to shoot a police silhouette on the 50 yd range.

To start the show off I fired a 30 rd mag from the hip. There wasn't a single hit on the target.

The gun went to the shoulder and stayed there to this day.

Jim C

No offense, but that doesn't really test anything.

I can run a target out to a few yards and hip shoot it with a pistol.

But that doesn't serve as a comparison to aiming the gun.

It's not a stringent enough test to show the difference between the two methods.

You know what would be a real test?

Get 200 guys to have a paintball battle. One group of 100 can aim however they like and the other group has to hip shoot.

See which team is covered with paint dots at the end.

Edited by buzz

That was a good test - in spite of any random buzz against it.

If you were in combat - and a firearm was pointing your direction - you would be on the trigger ASAP.

Dan, your videos did give away one thing... now I see you are practicing for Tracie's shoot. Does this mean you are finally going to defend your win from years back? Look forward to see you there!

Nice vidios, but when we hip shoot it is one shot at a time and just for fun. I just walk the shots to the 50 yd. target and usually get there after 3 to 5 shots. As I said I have my own 100 yd. range.

1921 internals aka the new make Pk buffer and modified 28 actuator. Rate of fire might be ammo sensetive too for this video.

If was fun. I've shot an ARC full of critters but none have been from the hip. Maybe if the pheasants were attacking instead of fleeing I'd be squeezing off rounds before the buttplate hit my shoulder.

Practice...hmmm good idea... Maybe the final round of the shoot will be from this hip next time.

Hmmm...same shooter, same gun, same targets, two stances. Seems like a fair enough "fun" test for comparison.

R67, couldn't agree with your sentiment more.

DeerSlayer; I appreciate the videos. Always fun for those of us in "NFA Transfer Purgatory" to watch other folks shoot. Maybe by August I can play too. :(

1921 internals aka the new make Pk buffer and modified 28 actuator. Rate of fire might be ammo sensetive too for this video.

If was fun. I've shot an ARC full of critters but none have been from the hip. Maybe if the pheasants were attacking instead of fleeing I'd be squeezing off rounds before the buttplate hit my shoulder.

Practice...hmmm good idea... Maybe the final round of the shoot will be from this hip next time.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/overspray/tsmg/Scott.mp4

My youngest with WH28 at 20 plus yards--laundry soap jugs filled with water. If they were man size targets in combat, they would all be hit. He's good from the shoulder, also.

I read a combat TSMG account from a GI in the Pacific Theater, and he said he had practiced and become very proficient at firing from the hip. He carried the Thompson at the ready, hip level, keeping the muzzle in the same direction as his line of sight while walking, when on point. If a target appeared and he was looking at it, he said his accuracy was excellent up to 50 yards--i.e. dead Japs!

Thanks, Dan.

and that's the buzz about combat hip shooting

U D

Edited by Uncle Dudley

Here's an interesting "thread" on POI (POA). http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1318 Here's a quote from an email PK sent me about sighting, when he was working on my WH1928. TSMGs are designed to hit 12-14 high at 50 yards so a torso hold will produce a hit out to about 250; GI battle sight setting. Every now and again I get one like yours that is much too high, in your case 28 at 50 yards. U D

Edited by Uncle Dudley

I will add my kudos to Dan here. Fun stuff, and Dan likes to take things slightly "outside" and have a good time with our Thompsons; good for him! His attacking of napping enemy water balloons sometime ago comes to mind. That was hilarious and some dang fine shooting.

Ron