Need 1928A1 Experts

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Thompson 1928A1 deactivated in good condition. From what I read on the internet, the markings are period/manufacturer (savage) correct. The Cutts compensator seems also to be correct.

I read that the actuator should be checkered instead of shooth, which seems to indicate this one is not correct?

I also think these 1928A1 were issued with 20 rounds magazine?

Could you help me determine if this SMG is mostly genuine or if it is a Frankenstein?

Thanks

post-261898-0-26496600-1551321822_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-85143900-1551321829_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-33410800-1551321837_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-16287600-1551321847_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-98270700-1551321859_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-61211600-1551321871_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-95788200-1551321880_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-95690400-1551321888_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-96203700-1551321896_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-88655600-1551321905_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-19162500-1551321913_thumb.jpg

post-261898-0-10427900-1551321920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maxi5566

I am curious why you would cover up the serial number of a deac. That said, I think this Savage Arms 1928A1 looks pretty good. While I have only studied the early Savage Thompsons in detail, I believe the knurling on the actuators was deleted late in production at Savage Arms. An actuator is easily replaced. A more important question: does the receiver and frame serial numbers match?

I am curious why you would cover up the serial number of a deac. That said, I think this Savage Arms 1928A1 looks pretty good. While I have only studied the early Savage Thompsons in detail, I believe the knurling on the actuators was deleted late in production at Savage Arms. An actuator is easily replaced. A more important question: does the receiver and frame serial numbers match?

Yes it matches. I have not seen it in person, but the seller says it’s a matching number thompson. It is an old deactivation (cock and click) and can be stripped.

I understand the older deacs are highly sought after. Again, it looks good to me. I would not worry about the actuator, especially if it is a high serial numbered gun. Perhaps others Forum members will chime in.

Good luck!

As was said, a knurled Savage actuator can easily be found. The rest looks really good, though without seeing the Stamps on the individual parts there is no way to tell for sure that it is all Savage.

I'm not sure what the value of a deac is, and how much non-matching parts affect value, but I'd be very happy to own that piece.

Edited by Rimcrew

PM sent. Savage parts are very easy to find. Transfer can be complicated. Been down that road before. I can offer some advice as you travel down that road as well. Particularly if this is your first rodeo.

Congrats

Sandman1957

Without knowing the serial number there's no way to tell what's correct and what isn't. The good news is that the actuator, safety, and pivot look correct for a M1928A1 with a serial number greater than about 330,000. Looks like the original surface Blanchard milling on the exterior of the frame and receiver are also intact. It's a nice piece, dewat or not. Knowing where you are will also get you better answers.

where is this gun located?

Exactly.

Pretty sure this is not in the US.

Would prefer to be wrong, as this would be a fine reactivation candidate.

Hoping OP will provide more information.

Hint: look at the crossed swords proof markings to the left of "safe" and "No."

Then: look at page 150 of "Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story".

Edited by mnshooter

Without knowing the serial number there's no way to tell what's correct and what isn't. The good news is that the actuator, safety, and pivot look correct for a M1928A1 with a serial number greater than about 330,000. Looks like the original surface Blanchard milling on the exterior of the frame and receiver are also intact. It's a nice piece, dewat or not. Knowing where you are will also get you better answers.

I suspect this gun is in Canada considering the rivet in the magazine. It looks like a good example of a 28A1 to me.

If it is and Maxi5566 wants to send me a PM I might be able to give him some Canadian perspective.

I suspect this gun is in Canada considering the rivet in the magazine. It looks like a good example of a 28A1 to me.

If it is and Maxi5566 wants to send me a PM I might be able to give him some Canadian perspective.

You sir are correct. The gun is in Canada. For those wondering, this is a local sale, the gun is not advertised online.

I will ask the seller for the first 3-4 digits of the serial number.

You sir are correct. The gun is in Canada. For those wondering, this is a local sale, the gun is not advertised online.

I will ask the seller for the first 3-4 digits of the serial number.

As previously mentioned, whether or not the original actuator was knurled would depend on the serial number, although there was no definite cut-off serial number range between knurled and smooth. Nice looking example of probably a mid-range Savage 1928A1.

the old deactivation allowed the firearm to be cock and click with some diss assembly, usually a pin thro the receiver chamber and welded, grind the bolt face at 45 degrees and in some cases the upper tacked to the lower, they also have the mags pinned to 5 rounds or less

current deactivation there are no moving parts, bolt is welded in receiver, trigger set is welded over inside so they do not move, barrel plug welded and welded to nose then finally the mag is welded in place, as I say no moving parts this is why old decativations are sought after.