229 replies to this topic

#221 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2052 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

one from 10-18-17 cashed was approved 5-24-18-----still have yet to see a stamp....have sent a letter for a certified copy now

another  12-24-17 cashed was approved 6-22-17----arrived today 7-3-18

just did a C&R...that took 4 weeks exactly!...FYI

Edited by huggytree, 03 July 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#222 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

I looked on the ATF web site today and found a generic address.  Something like ATF.gov and sent my complaint.  An hour later I got a reply from David Howell, Branch Chief, NFA Division, advising me to call him right away on his private line.  We spoke for some time as he went over contradictory notations in the file.  I won't bore you with the details.  Basically there was some screw up that brought the whole process to a stop at the FBI.  We spoke for about 20 minutes and he gave me the NTN# and advised I call the FBI NICS division.  Except the recording says they don't do that over the phone.  So I completed an on line appeal and sent it off.  They are supposed to respond in 5 days.  I can't begin to tell you how helpful Howell was in setting me on the right track to getting this going again.  I'll see if I can find the exact web address to direct inquiries on a later post.

My buddie just got his stamp today from a December purchase on a short barrel shotgun.

#223 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 1036 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

Don't be surprised if you find the response from FBI less than ideal.  The work they do for ATF is not mandatory and therefore gets done as can do and they also don't usually work appeals for other agencies' decisions with the exception of POC states that do FFL checks.

Things can always change, though.

#224 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

Don't be surprised if you find the response from FBI less than ideal.  The work they do for ATF is not mandatory and therefore gets done as can do and they also don't usually work appeals for other agencies' decisions with the exception of POC states that do FFL checks.

Things can always change, though.

The email I used to get a response was from ATF.gov>who we are>local ATF offices>licensing and other services>federal firearms licensing center.  On the right side you'll find the email icon and a phone number.   The appeal form was on the FBI web site that appears to deal with denials given to those who 'failed' the background an opportunity to contest, explain, and/or provide documentation that the NICS records are incorrect.

Attached Files

Edited by RogerD, 03 July 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#225 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

• Board Benefactor
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

So if you never called them it would sit forever at the FBI and no follow up by the ATF examiner asking why its delayed?

Edited by Petroleum 1, 03 July 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#226 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 1036 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

The checks don't sit forever - they get processed but unless the current onslaught of FFL generated checks subsides they will always take a back seat.  Another option would be for ATF to stand up their own background check group and handle their own business.  (much easier said than done)

#227 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Or maybe not do background checks on folks that have FFL's but not SOT's?   Seems odd, but it's true.  I'm waiting for a pair with an FFL number on the forms (no SOT) and waiting on a background check?  This is not an anomaly, it's happened several times before? 

As if mailing in an additional check once a year for an SOT makes everything all good? LOL

#228 The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 1036 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

That would be a waste - maybe not consequential in the grand scheme of things, but no reason to add to the pile.  Did you include print cards with the applications?  That's where the identifiers for the checks come from (not collected on the application itself and the form instructions indicate no FPCs for licensees so at least in theory an FFL transfer should not get rejected due to lacking cards).  Another possibility would be someone giving you the canned answer of the day "it's the background check" without noticing there is an FFL transferee.  I've read for years on internet boards that background checks caused delays @ NFA but it wasn't actually the case until recently except for a brief period in 2009-2010.  At that time, there was widespread distress and predictions of an industry collapse due to an 89 day F4 average turnaround.  That was a pretty good problem to have.

#229 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Unfortunately, more than likely.

#230 RogerD

RogerD

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

Unfortunately more than likely.