C&R license application approval times

ppgcowboy

I would say that 3 to 4 months is about right. I've had renewals done in as little as 4 weeks but generally its 2 to 3 months for renewals. There is a number that you can call to check status...but all they can generally tell you is if it has been processed or not.

I think mine was a couple weeks. It came back super fast. If anyone is contemplating buying an out of state C&R machine gun, get the C&R license and save the time and expense of transferring it to a dealer. For $30 every three years, you save yourself 6-8 months and $200 per transaction.

Thanks for discussion, I called wondering if they can give me any input and the nice lady said she would check my status. She came back and said congrats you have been approved and it should be in the mail within the next 10 days.

Now the next question, once I have it and I want to travel to another state to attend a shoot, what is the process? I understand it makes interstate travel much easier. Do I need to inform ATF of my travels with it, or do I just go if my schedule allows it?

Thanks for discussion, I called wondering if they can give me any input and the nice lady said she would check my status. She came back and said congrats you have been approved and it should be in the mail within the next 10 days.

Now the next question, once I have it and I want to travel to another state to attend a shoot, what is the process? I understand it makes interstate travel much easier. Do I need to inform ATF of my travels with it, or do I just go if my schedule allows it?

A C&R licensee is not required to notify ATF when traveling with a C&- transferred gun.

What are the downsides though, if any, to keeping a c&r license? More paperwork, auditing, etc. Just wondering with the benefit of reducing wait times, especially this day in age, why doesnt every collector get one?

Downside is you see something, you call them up and fax them copy and whamo! you're broke.

thats a huge jump in process time, mine took around 23 days last year.

83Baron, on 13 Mar 2017 - 12:13, said:

What are the downsides though, if any, to keeping a c&r license? More paperwork, auditing, etc. Just wondering with the benefit of reducing wait times, especially this day in age, why doesnt every collector get one?

You have to keep an acquisitions and dispositions book. Brownell's sells them for a couple bucks.

A C&R licensee is not required to notify ATF when traveling with a C&- transferred gun.

What if I got my Thompson before the C&R? Should I put it in my inventory? If it is not in the C&R inventory, can I travel with it under the C&R?

You can travel interstate with any C+R eligible NFA. There is no reason to log any previously acquired C+R NFA into the FFL03 bound book. If you go to sell the Thompson, then you would enter it into the book as an acquisition and log it out as a disposition when it is delivered to the buyer.

There is no required or routine compliance check by ATF for the FFL03 since it is not a business license. If ATF requests a compliance inspection, which would be for an extraordinary reason, you can do it at the ATF field office with your bound book.

Transfer time to an FFL03 is the same as any F4 since individual F4 transfers and other individual applications are at the bottom of priority.

You can travel interstate with any C+R eligible NFA. There is no reason to log any previously acquired C+R NFA into the FFL03 bound book. If you go to sell the Thompson, then you would enter it into the book as an acquisition and log it out as a disposition when it is delivered to the buyer.

There is no required or routine compliance check by ATF for the FFL03 since it is not a business license. If ATF requests a compliance inspection, which would be for an extraordinary reason, you can do it at the ATF field office with your bound book.

Transfer time to an FFL03 is the same as any F4 since individual F4 transfers and other individual applications are at the bottom of priority.

That answers it. Thanks all for the input.

Of course you still have to contend with out of state dealers who do not recognize the C&R license as a bona fiide FFL document. These benighted dealers are intent on forcing the purchaser of a C&R firearm to pay the transfer fee to their local FFL dealer.

Agreed. These dealers do not get my business. I have passed on several auctions because of this. I have a local dealer who will process transfers for $25, however the fact that an FFL does not recognize and FFL is BS.

I've had an C&R for years, great to have an my renewal form just showed up in the mail today.

Ron

Agreed. These dealers do not get my business. I have passed on several auctions because of this. I have a local dealer who will process transfers for $25, however the fact that an FFL does not recognize and FFL is BS.

Ron

BATFE should penalize dealers who refuse to accept the C&R license as meeting the requirements for legal shipping. One would imagine BATFE would be concerned that their own federal document is considered illegitimate by businesses who are operating on the authority of a license granted by the BATFE.

• Upvote 1

Having been on the other side, the biggest issue is C+R ffl's are not verifiable on EZ check which is why some 01's are leery. There had been a rash of 01 licenses with falsified data on them, but via ez check the scammers were not generally successful as you have a method for double checking. I've never personally had someone refuse to ship, but most of what I do on a C+R is NFA which obviously has it's own inherent checks and balances. I had deals where I tried to force buyers into a C+R for everyone's benefit, but lot's of guys are misinformed about the whole C+R setup. I can say that the odds of you taking your C+R bound book to a local atf office are slim to none. Their hideouts are super secret since OKC and they don't like visitors. I've offered to resolve other issues and they were insistent about coming to me. Drive by the plastic encased office in downtown DC and you'll see paranoid at it's best.

Ron

BATFE should penalize dealers who refuse to accept the C&R license as meeting the requirements for legal shipping. One would imagine BATFE would be concerned that their own federal document is considered illegitimate by businesses who are operating on the authority of a license granted by the BATFE.

There is no provision in any law or regulation that compels any licensee to transfer, it's just annoying like FFLs that refuse to accept a firearm from a nonlicensee - (WHAT???). Consumer choice - don't spend your money there if it's aggravating enough. Roscoe invoked an ATF employee for calming nerves some years back when a seller (FFL/SOT) thought it was illegal to transfer a C&R firearm to a C&R licensee at a gun show.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

Of course you still have to contend with out of state dealers who do not recognize the C&R license as a bona fiide FFL document. These benighted dealers are intent on forcing the purchaser of a C&R firearm to pay the transfer fee to their local FFL dealer.

I too avoid dealers that don't recognize my C&R

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

By reading all these posts am I to understand that if I purchase an C & R NFA firearm ( machine gun ) that all the out of state dealer does is forward a Form 4 along with my C & R license to ATF and when it comes back to him then he ships the NFA firearm directly to me without me having to use an in-state dealer? Do I send the paperwork with the two hundred check or does the out of state dealer? Exactly what do I do past mailing the out of state dealer my C & R license? My only objective here is to save time with just one transfer and not two.

My in-state Class III guy says I still have to use a instate dealer and pay the $500 yearly Class III fee.....

Exactly what do I do past mailing the out of state dealer my C & R license? My only objective here is to save time with just one transfer and not two.

My in-state Class III guy says I still have to use a instate dealer and pay the $500 yearly Class III fee.....

If your out of state dealer is submitting the paperwork then he would submit your $200 BATFE fee with it. After BATFE approval, he can indeed ship your firearm directly to you. That is where your C&R License comes in to play. Your in state dealer is obviously ignorant regarding C&R NFA firearm transfers. As far as this "yearly $500 Class III fee," it sounds as if your in state dealer is suffering from the effects of a gas leak on his premises.

You are good to go brucea4. The point of the collector's license is to allow interstate acquisition of older/"curio" firearms. Some people - to include dealers - believe MGs or other NFA classifications are regulated more by the GCA than other firearms, but that is not true. If a pistol or rifle is allowed to transfer, so then is a __(NFA)__.

ATF just received my C&R application on Thursday. Hope the wait times stay reasonable.

On a side note. I personally went into the local PD to give them their copy. I also had 2 copies of a letter stating that I did in fact give it to them and both I and the chief were to sign to keep a copy for each of our records in case there ever we a question that I did that step. They scrambled around for 15 minutes trying to figure out if I was trying to pull something over on them. They told me this was only the second time in the last 15 years that they've dealt with ANY ATF stuff in our station. In the end all was good signed and passed off. I wonder what the other 1 guys experience was?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on C&R approval. The ATF received my application on April 7th, cashed my USPS Money Order on the 10th and now I get home to the Licence in my mailbox on today the 17th. So that's only a 10 day total turn around for me. Awesome!

I've been told by local stores here i am an "instant pass" on the background check site so maybe that had something to do with the quick turnaround?