Real Cheap Drums

Mine should be here today or tomorrow. I'll post pics of it as soon as I can.

Curiosity begs. Bullet logo?

Mine arrived today. Same as described by RDS. These are from the first batch and are marked Crosby. Other side has Wind to 9 clicks. And yes the word THOMPSON has been milled off of the plate, it does not really detract from the looks as it was done before being blued. The erasure of the Thompson name was done due to Kahr's threats of a lawsuit against anyone but them using the THOMPSON name. Add yet another sub-species to the myriad of Thompson drums.

Mike Hammer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there is no bullet logo on any of these repro Crosby drums. Nice little letter attached to the invoice that says "we have priced these drums below market value to compensate for this cosmetic alteration", referring to the obliteration of the Thompson name. Haaaah, those silly fools, little did they know by erasing the thompson name they have possibly made this drum varient the "rarest" of all the Thompson drums and worth a small fortune. I have already had an offer for mine from "21 Ron for $10,000. Ron, is the check in the mail?

Mike Hammer

I believe the first importer of these drums told us they were made in Taiwan.

Mine arrived today. The word "Thompson was milled off the face place. The cover and key interchanged with one of the original Crosby Reproduction drums. And it fit my 1928 West Hurley. The only thing I noticed was the back of the drum had two rust spots that had been covered over. It is not the one I would have hand picked. However, if it runs as good as the first one, I will have no complaints.

Does this make three versions of this drum:

A. The first version sold that has all the markings.

B. The second version with no markings.

C. The third version, identical to the first, but with the word "Thompson" milled off.

I have A and C.

I believe the first importer of these drums told us they were made in Taiwan.

Mine arrived today. The word "Thompson was milled off the face place. The cover and key interchanged with one of the original Crosby Reproduction drums. And it fit my 1928 West Hurley. The only thing I noticed was the back of the drum had two rust spots that had been covered over. It is not the one I would have hand picked. However, if it runs as good as the first one, I will have no complaints.

Does this make three versions of this drum:

A. The first version sold that has all the markings.

B. The second version with no markings.

C. The third version, identical to the first, but with the word "Thompson" milled off.

I have A and C.

I think that is correct TD. The most recent fortunelot drums were void of the Crosby markings and Thompson markings, only the winding instructions were present. I just ordered my rare milled version today. It reminds me of the original semi auto 1927s. Maybe next they will offer a version with the Thompson name restamped into the milled area once the trademark issues are worked out.

:rolleyes:

- Ron

Mine is the same as described as well.The only detraction is that I will have to touch up the milled off area where the Thompson logo was, As it is about 30% bare steel. I am suprised that Kahr did not make them take the word "Thompson" off the box as well :rolleyes: I believe at this price,I will order another.

I got mine today. Here is what it looks like with the box:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z138/mbafernandez/thompson/drumandbox2.jpg

As has been said, it says Thompson on the box.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z138/mbafernandez/thompson/drumclear.jpg

The milling is VERY obvious. Everything else is intact

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z138/mbafernandez/thompson/crosbylabel.jpg

Here it says "The Crosby Co;Buffalo, NY

Hope that shows everybody. I need a better camera. Will be trying this soon. I'm itching for a field report.

Just received my "third gen" Numrich Crosby drum. Fit and finish, thumbs up. Have no idea if it works right. There was some slight corrosion showing around the front plate, but some of it came off; pitted the finish though. I posted pics on my pBase section. I'll try and see if they will post here too. The imprinting of the text is light, so much so that it made it hard to add my factory white lettering.

Numrich Crosby Drum page

Numrich Crosby Drum picture

As stated above, no bullet logo, and the winding instructions are printed on the front plate, not across and below the drum top plate. The back merely states "The Crosby Co. Bufallo. N.Y." No "made in..." Yeah!

Numrich_Crosby_Drum_02.jpg

Anybody dumped one yet?

I just received my drum today. Looks very nice! I immediately took pictures, and posted them to the pinned drum and magazine post at the top of the board, and then I realized that some pictures have already been posted here...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Some close ups of the milled-off logo, and one without the mill cut.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/just4grins1/magwithoutThompson.jpg

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/just4grins1/magwithThompson.jpg

I fail to see how Kahr seriously thinks they have a claim to the Thompson name seeing as how Numerich bought most of the stock of the 1928s and even manufactured "Thompson" parts before they were even in business. Simply printing the word "Thompson" on a magazine wouldn't be illegal seeing as how there are plenty of companies that sell magazines for the "Colt" 1911 pistol, and the Taurus, and others. The weapon is called a Thompson Submachine gun, they are just selling a magazine that fits it.

Eh-HEM. ANYBODY DUMP ONE YET?

I greased it first and then ran bursts. No problems, no misfeeds. (Just like the other Chinese copies). Other than needing grease, they seem to be well made, and run well.

My drum arrived a few minutes ago..... It looks good to me (I really do not know much about drums. I have an M1A1) It did have some white looking residue on the inside of the top. and the blueing under where the white stuff was is somewhat faded looking.?? I took a picture of the white stuff before I cleaned it off but Im too stoopid to post it...Im not going to get all freaked out about it because I plan to have the drum converted to work with my M1A1... I just hope it runs good...I sent an email to Merle a few days ago and have gotten no response yet..Is he out of town or something???? I might try to phone him this evening....2Dogs.....Out

Hello, All.

I got my new Numrich drum yesterday. Thompson is milled off, but the drum looks good overall. Haven't shot it yet though...

I talked to Merle O., "the drum doctor" on the phone Monday. The price quoted to fine tune my new Kahr C drum is $100, plus return shipping. He said the price includes running 100 rds. through it.

This is an excellent idea. Since they've already produced, what, three runs of this drum, there is a possibility they may make more. Next time, in place of the word "Thompson" they should stamp 1921/1928, so that the plate would read:

MAGAZINE TYPE "L"

1921/1928 SUBMACHINE GUN

50 CARTRIDGES CAL .45

WIND TO 9 OR 11 CLICKS

I wonder if that would upset Kahr? I think I'm gonna email Numrich at info@gunpartscorp.com and suggest this. We all should. Since it is not really a Crosby replica with the word Thompson ground off, they should be able to do whatever they want I'd think...

CG

I was just thinking, why not change the stamping to say 1921/28 Machine gun? Same number of characters. Besides, I think that Thompson is now in the PD.

Anyone got the free shipping code for Numrich today?

Just dumped one in my pals Savage. Flawless.... "Covering fire!!!!"