Gangster Squad Movie Trailer

Definitely going to see this movie.

BTW the Hollywood movie that I think did the best job as far as WWII firearms being authentic to the period is Wind Talkers.

If you love Thompson's ,BAR's, M1's and even Jap guns you will enjoy this movie.

The best line was " this ain't a democracy- it's the Marines".

BTW the Hollywood movie that I think did the best job as far as WWII firearms being authentic to the period is Wind Talkers.

If you love Thompson's ,BAR's, M1's and even Jap guns you will enjoy this movie.

Yeah, I loved the guns and action in Wind Talkers, but the acting was terrible and the cheesy lines they had in the movie were awful, pretty much made me skip any scenes without gun play and explosions

So who now supplies firing Cl. 3 weapons to movie sets these days since Ellis Mercantile and Stembridge are both gone (I think they are anyway)? If the answer was on an earlier post/thread, sorry I forgot...that happens more and more with me these days.

Cheers,

Ron

PS: I think the Thompsons on Windtalkers were Westies, yes?

Sean Penn with a Thompson? No thanks.

Oh come on, it's because only movie stars and rich people should own guns! :slap:

I can't say that he hasn't been in some good movies, and I'm sure I will see it eventually. But, that guy just rubs me the wrong way! Out of respect for the forums I will keep politics and recent events out. Its hard for me not to elaborate, but I will keep it at that. :)

Kinda funny how they, hollywoodies, glorify violence and may in fact even promote it but they always manage to lay blame elsewhere.

Demand they go f*** themselves-----> http://youtu.be/Gd-g_eYJF2U

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Ron MIlls - ISS in Sun Valley pretty much has the monopoly on class three rentals and dealer samples in LA - obviously there are out of state/international companies/collectors/manufacturers catering to the HUGE production work flow that is no longer shooting in California, LA, GA, Michigan, Canada, etc.

*There are massive tax rebates/incentives being offered by states seeking out of state commercial investment, coupled with the fact that It has become incredibly expensive and problematic to shoot in Hollywood - most of the films you guys think are shot here are not.

I rented from Stembridge, Ellis Mercantile, Mike Gibbons, Hand Prop Room in the day - but they are long gone.

There are still a couple of independent armorers left, Mike Tristano is one - who I also hire when I can, but their inventory is nowhere close the "room that doesn't exist" (dealer samples) at ISS.

Dealer samples must come with a licensed ISS armorer - "transferables" must be transferred to a licensed armorer (or an ISS armorer), ahead of the filming day, and transferred back afterward - I have done this three or four times, it's quite a deal, but ISS are incredibly helpful and usually do what they can to make it work - it is as efficient as it can be.

It is possible to have every firearm license you need here in California if you genuinely supply to motion picture production, it is however expensive, and requires a lot of paperwork. Not to mention the risk involved if that paperwork is filed incorrectly - also all the DOJ permits are for twelve month periods, which means continual renewal of at least one permit, unless you applied for them all the same month.

I just did four fingerprints scans all in the same day, all going to the same place, just different departments, lol.

*I do not know where the Thompson in the pic came from, but a call to ISS would answer that - Gangster Squad did actually shoot in LA - one of the few these days.

Pit.

Pit:

Wow, thanks for the wealth of info! Very interesting. I noticed that on 1 synopsis of the movie it says something like "...trying to rid LA of the Mafia in the 1940s and 50s", or words to that effect. Maybe that explains the M1 Thompson mentioned.

Anyway, I appreciate your post and the update on who supplies the shootin' irons for them flicker shows these days.

Ron

I just looked at the official site and it says something along the lines of "L.A. 1949.." so I guess all Thompson variations are welcome in post WW2 police after hours activities. Thought I did see L.A. landmarks show up in the trailer, so much is still there from the Art Deco period of the city.

Although no Thompsons were involved, L.A. Confidential was my best pick for the era and city scenes in a police off the official path movie.

I watched the movie yesterday and they threw in an amazing variety of firearms. The bad guys were using 1928 Thompsons (of course!), MP-40s, PPSh41s, a BAR and even a Lewis Gun. The good guys mostly did Thompsons in GI trim, shotguns, and a variety of pistols ranging from Colt SAAs to 1911s. I noticed at least one Mauser Broomhandle in the hands of a bad guy.

One of the mob bosses gets whacked in a raid on his home with some sort of silenced firearm, but it was a dark scene and I couldn't make out what they were. Grease Guns maybe?

The only bitch I had was the number of times people were waving around 1911s that weren't cocked. Tough to shoot someone that way.

I watched the movie yesterday and they threw in an amazing variety of firearms. The bad guys were using 1928 Thompsons (of course!), MP-40s, PPSh41s, a BAR and even a Lewis Gun. The good guys mostly did Thompsons in GI trim, shotguns, and a variety of pistols ranging from Colt SAAs to 1911s. I noticed at least one Mauser Broomhandle in the hands of a bad guy.

One of the mob bosses gets whacked in a raid on his home with some sort of silenced firearm, but it was a dark scene and I couldn't make out what they were. Grease Guns maybe?

The only bitch I had was the number of times people were waving around 1911s that weren't cocked. Tough to shoot someone that way.

I saw it the other day, everything seems pretty accurate. I did notice at least one of the silenced guns was a silenced grease gun, but another one looked like it may have been a pistol. I was also pretty angry about the 1911s that weren't cocked. I was also pissed that they cut out that movie theater scene that they showed in the previews!

Also, check out the 1973 movie "Dillinger" and, if you can find it, "Bonnie and Cylde: The True Story" for BAR and Thompson action.