Paperwork Came In! New Owner.

Hey Everyone. I posted here back in September when I purchased my Thompson and now 6 months later I just went and picked up a few days ago. I got to shoot it a little but the weather hasn't been great here. It did alright but I have some parts to change out as it was stripping the round from the magazine/drum chambering but light primer striking so they weren't going off constantly. What parts exactly do I need to replace to remedy this? It is a West Hurley gun. I will get more photos soon. This is the whole package I got. I am interested in knowing more about the bag. Has anyone seen one like this before? Thanks guys. Can't wait to hear from you all.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/cnolanphotos/photo_1-1_zps97c1f36d.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/cnolanphotos/photo_2-1_zps113047f5.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/cnolanphotos/photo_4-1_zps6659b588.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/cnolanphotos/photo_3-1_zps29eb26c4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like a fun package!

Mine behaves like that - only after about 500+ rounds without a cleaning. Thompsons like to run cleaned and with a good amount of oil. I would assume that since this is new to you that is not the problem. Then you need to search the forum about west Hurley issues - they have a few that need to be corrected if that were not already. Not sure if your gun has been fixed or not.

Enjoy it!

You might want to read Reconbob's October 15, 2012 post on extractor's losing their flexibility and not snapping over the case rims properly. This might be a contributing factor in your light primer strikes. Can't hurt to check.

Have you removed the recoil spring and moved the bolt back and forth, making sure it is has enough forward travel to fully press the hammer against the receiver? Also check for the bolt nose rubbing against metal in the top of the magazine well area; this is supposed to have enough clearance, but four of six Hurley 28's I've been able to examine had some interference in that location.

Edited by mnshooter

Thanks guys. I will check that. I am no smith by any means but will try my best. I will give it a good cleaning and oiling. I am brand new to this gun and know the previous owner pretty well. I believe he replace the recoil spring. I want to replace all the guts but the only parts kit I see is the ones including the stocks. A link on all the goodies I need to fix her up?

It seems most new West Hurley Thompson owners find this Board. And that is a good thing as this is the best place on the Internet to learn about the Thompson Submachine Gun.

Before you go shooting again, field strip it so you can inspect the bolt, actuator, bronze lock and buffer pilot. If these are GI parts, all of them will be marked with a manufacturer marking like "S" or "AOC" or "R" etc. Auto-Ordnance West Hurley parts are unmarked. The most important part to inspect is the buffer pilot. If it does not have an "S" or "AOC" marking on the flat part of the flange, do not fire your gun with this part installed. Most West Hurley buffer pilots are two piece units that can separate during firing and result in a possible injury. Make a note of any other unmarked parts as they will eventually have to be replaced. I also suggest replacing the hard fiber disk with a new modern replacement. PK. or Paul Krogh, a member of this board who is the best Thompson gunsmith around bar none, sells an excellent replacement unit. The last one I purchased was under 10 bucks.

If your interested in learning all about West Hurley submachine gun parts, purchase the November 2011 issue of Small Arms Review magazine. There is a comprehensive story about West Hurley parts and how to identify same. It will answer a great many of your questions. You can find this issue at:

http://www.longmountain.com/

Good luck with your new toy!

Hey, good for you, super nice setup, lots of stuff. Stay on here, best information out there on the TSMG- These guys know it all.

OCM

Try Omega online. Don't know what all he has left with all the crazyness going on.

OCM

As far as the light primer strike on your WH. There's a good chance this gun already has military internals in it so first check out the parts markings as others have suggested.I had the same problem with my first WH. I had installed NOS WWII internals, still had the light primer hits. Come to find out what the actual problem was is that the firing pin was a fraction of an inch too short. Try a new spring first, if that doesn't work measure the firing pin length and compare it with another. Offhand I don't have the spec. in front of me on the proper length of the firing pin, but even a tiny fraction short can make all the difference.

Mike Hammer

As far as a whole parts kit, it's not a bad idea to get one while you still can.

There going up in price and you have everything you need and you can

sell what you dont and may make a few bucks while your at it.

Congrats on your new investment/toy.

Your going to need to lay in a supply of ammo now.

Bob

You came to the right place. All good points raised above. Even a WH gun is 30 years old. You might have some old oil that has dried up leaving a coat of varnish on everything. Take the bolt apart and give everything a good scrubbing including the firing pin channel. Assemble the bolt without the firing pin spring to check that everything moves freely without any binding. Does the bolt slide back and forth in the receiver freely? No rough spots? Try with and without the H piece. Insert a mag. Is the bolt hitting the mag?

The same goes for the lower. But thats for another day to cure other issues.

Wow thank you all for the support and knowledge I lack on this gun. Luckily I have the ammo covered. I have 2000 rounds right now with another 1k next week. I'm sure that's only an afternoon's worth of playing once I get the hiccups out of the gun. I can't wait till tomorrow to get the facts stright on what is inside. I will check all of the things you guys have listed and hope I can detect the problem.

Wow thank you all for the support and knowledge I lack on this gun. Luckily I have the ammo covered. I have 2000 rounds right now with another 1k next week. I'm sure that's only an afternoon's worth of playing once I get the hiccups out of the gun. I can't wait till tomorrow to get the facts stright on what is inside. I will check all of the things you guys have listed and hope I can detect the problem.

So... You only have one weekend's worth of ammo?

• Upvote 1

You mean this bag? Look what I use mine for!

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer
  • Upvote 1

50 rounds,

Yup, it's an M-60 spare barrel bag. In addition to the barrel/bipod, there was an asbestos glove, ruptured case extractor, cleaning kit and some LSA lube usually included. What were the wait times on your Thompson transfer and who was the examiner? I still have 2-3 months left on my transfer.

Chief762

Fifty,

Unissued M60 spare barrel bags usually go for $30-$50 on gunbroker, eBay, some vendors who deal with surplus, etc.

I used to keep my AK underfolder in one until I switched to a drop case made for it.

With an investment like yours your are definitely making a good decision to get a different case with better protection characteristics.

Welcome and congrats on the acquisition!

I'm at 5.5 months for an NFA transfer and to be honest the first 5 months flew by with very little thought but now I'm pretty antsy. 6 months is a little ridiculous for some background and paperwork.

TC