This is Certainly Bizarre

This was posted on the US Militaria Forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/201436-please-help-identify-this-1928a1/ According to the OP, it is live and legal to own where he lives.

Wow, could that thing possibly even work? I have seen some weird stuff, but that takes the cake. I kinda agree with the first guys comment, take the pics down and run away.

I guess he is in South Africa or somewhere like that. I think it's a fantasy gun or film prop from something like star wars as there isn't enough room for the bolt to function. I'm pretty sure that the Thompson gun design is that long because that's as short as the body can be yet still function. If it could have functioned with a shorter body, I'm sure it would have been shorter.

From looking at parts kits and everything, I don't see any reason why it would not work even if it was cut down. There is plenty of room in the bolt cavity for it to be shorter and I have always wondered if anyone had actually done it. If such things were legal, cheaper, and not so destructive of historical devices, I would probably try such things myself. Even if the meaty rear half of a bolt were cut in half, it would still likely function in a Thompson as it would still be long enough to keep the bolt from getting cockeyed in the channel. As long as the lower and the receiver were shortened to accommodate the smaller bolt (to keep the recoil spring from binding), it would probably work (you would probably also want a stiffer recoil spring since you have a lighter bolt moving backwards with more force).

I remember seeing an MP40 that had been shortened in this way for one of the Dirty Dozen sequels. They had a devil of a job getting it to work.

I've seen that one. It was The Dirty Dozen: The Next Mission. I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me at the time.

I saw one like it somewhere on the net. The builder was just making a wall hanger. It was made from a demilled kit. The upper was the front and rear sections welded together. The center section was not used. The bolt did not move. The lower had the tail cut off to fit. The barrel was also chopped. Vertical wood grip and nice bluing to finish. He called it a Thompson pistol. It was really well done.

Those of you who attended the 2006 Tracie Hill shoot may remember an Ohio member who was shooting an extensively modified 28 West Hurley that looked somewhat like the one in Arthurs photo. It was best described as an attempt to make an Uzi out of a Thompson. Perhaps someone with a better memory than I can describe it in more detail. I seem to remember it having quick change barrel, red dot, folding etc.

The gun was constantly malfunctioning and I don't think he ever finished the match. I don't remember anyone taking a photo of it and I heard that he has since passed away.

Jim C

The owner has posted good photos of the outside and inside. From the looks of things, it appears to be able to function. How well remains to be known.

Thanks for the photos. Although it may have functioned, does it look like the receiver cut-out leaves the rear a little thin, and not at all radiused in the corners, already a weak point. If it were to fracture suddenly you could get the old "buffer guide in the eye"....Phil

post-151571-13923525067511.jpg

Edited by anjong-ni

In one of the pics I see a .22 Cal casing. Is it set up in .45 ? I see the .45 magazine and blish but with a masterpiece like this who knows... Edited by GUTTERRATT

After seeing this I remember watching crap on TV , I think the history channel and they showed a pic of some random thug from the late 20's who had his thompson chopped down to match up with the vertical grip .with a sling loop on the grip and one welded on the rear of the receiver VS having a stock.