What is it? (Fancy Thompson Stock)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting on my Form 1 to reactivate a Savage M1. I will need a barrel, buttplate, and milled sling swivel. The stock came from Bob Sauerman and I believe came off of a Savage dealer sample. It is stamped on wood and metal with #918 and Ps

post-22720-0-98151100-1399637502_thumb.jpg

post-22720-0-23365100-1399637550_thumb.jpg

post-22720-0-68326200-1399637590_thumb.jpg

Savage Arms was a subcontractor to Auto-Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Conn. during World War II. Savage did not directly sell or market the Thompson gun. If it is any type of dealer sample part, it would most likely have been from the West Hurley, New York era. That said, it appears to be a very nice butt stock. Thanks for sharing.

Savage Arms was a subcontractor to Auto-Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Conn. during World War II. Savage did not directly sell or market the Thompson gun. If it is any type of dealer sample part, it would most likely have been from the West Hurley, New York era. That said, it appears to be a very nice butt stock. Thanks for sharing.

Tom,

Are you thinking of a salesman sample??

I always thought there were two types of dealer samples. Pre 86 and post 86 dealer samples and a Colt could fall into either class.

Help me out of my confused state.

Jim C

Jim,

I am not sure I understand your question. I do know that Colt's and Savage Arms were only subcontractors for Auto-Ordnance Corporation and were not directly involved in the selling or marketing of the Thompson gun. This would include having dealer samples and sales samples. Could Savage or Colt's had the butt stock made for Auto-Ordnance? Yes. But without more this statement is simply wishful thinking. Also, the slide stock assembly hardware on the fancy butt stock does not appear to be from the Colt's era. I would also think any Auto-Ordnance sales sample in the World War II era would be based on the civilian 1928 "AC" variation sold by Auto-Ordnance Corporation/Maguire Industries, Inc. toward the end of World War II and after - long after the 1928 model was out of production. However, I have never seen or heard of a sales or dealers sample of this variation.

Does the inside of the butt plate have an R stamped on it anywhere? What interests me is the early style large font assembly numbers on the wood, butt plate and slide lock hardware. I have only seen the slide lock assembly numbers stamped on the early Savage made gun butt stocks. The apparent absence of a sling swivel is interesting also. Of course, if it is a custom made stock, someone else could have stamped the numbers on the wood, but for what purpose? The wood also has the early rough, apparently hand-fitted inletting, above where the assembly number is stamped. Interesting butt stock.

The reason I speculated that it was a dealer sample was because an older gentleman with a

Wealth of knowledge once told me that the nicest Thompson he had ever seen was a Savage dealer sample bearing no serial # just an S where it should have been. He implied that it was probably not registered.

The reason I speculated that it was a dealer sample was because an older gentleman with a

Wealth of knowledge once told me that the nicest Thompson he had ever seen was a Savage dealer sample bearing no serial # just an S where it should have been. He implied that it was probably not registered.

/

/

/

/

Are there any "known" Savage 1928 dealer samples floating around?

From what I understand about Savage 1928 production, they were initially contracted to fill some large British contracts.

My understanding is that once WWII rolled around, AO had more orders than they could fill.

I'm just trying to picture what the savage dealer sample would be used for.

Why would AO care about selling a couple hundred guns to civilians when they have military orders for 10,000 guns at a time?

Edited by buzz

I did clarify where the "dealer sample" was seen, it was Washington court house, OH gun show, early 60s. But further thoughts what about the fancy X carbines or the one of nine Garands made for executives. Both the buttplate and latch of the slide assembly have a P stamp.

When someone presents a one of a kind item, like your stock, then what conclusions can you make about it?

There's nothing to compare it to.

When you're buying something with an unknown pedigree, the safe bet is to assume that the one-of-a-kind item is the least valuable of all the possibilities.

If I was buying that stock, the amount I'd be willing to pay would be based on the assumption that it is a custom stock made by a hobby woodworker or a gunsmith.

This is a very common situation in gun collecting: a possibly valuable item that is lacking any provenance.

Edited by buzz

It is a custom, after market, stock. An aquaintance of mine has one like it, altough his is attached to his Thompson. He has two, one in gold and one in silver. I don't remember where he got it, I'll ask him next time I see him, That could be as late as mid July. His TSMG was on the cover of Guns Magazine in the 70's. I kept the magazine all these years, and when I was in his vault one day, saw the gun. Told him I had the magazine and came back later for a photo op. Gordon Herigstad visited him and all this Thompsons are in Gordon's books.

For what its worth; was not, has never been, Heston's...

Starer TSMG3.jpg

steve.JPG

I've seen pictures of that gun room, if not Heston's, who's is it then? I'd buy that stock if it were offered. It's stunning.

Sandman1957,

Since you seem to know the origin of the stock, I would be interested to learn why the wood, butt plate and slide were numbered as they were. Surely, there were not more than 900 of these made?

Sandman1957,

Since you seem to know the origin of the stock, I would be interested to learn why the wood, butt plate and slide were numbered as they were. Surely, there were not more than 900 of these made?

The Midas TSMG stock is not the same as the one in this thread. That burl wood stock is more of a select grade and has plated Colt hardware that was fitted to the burl wood. JCE described the wood as "Tripple (sic) -A Fancy American walnut of exceptional quality and figure."

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Polythemus/ColtThompsonMidasNaslemMuseum_zps0c766172.jpg

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

GIJIVE,

I cannot add more to the "where did the stock originate". I will ask if the current owner if he knows who did the work on the MIDAS TSMG. It will not answer who did the other one, but it will give us a reference. Since the Midas gun was featured in the mid to late 70's that's pushing 40 years. Perhaps it was the same individual. I will also see If I can get a photo of the other burled stock a different gent has. I may see that person tomorrow.

Sandman1957

I just found an old post dated Nov 21st 2006, (7515) it states:

"After three years on display in the National Armed Services & Law Enforcement Memorial Museum (NASLEMM for short) in Florida (See website: WWW.NASLEMM.COM ) the Midas gun has found a new home.

I know there was all kind of "chatter" on this board when it came up for grabs three years ago. While I personally would not have engraved an original Colt T-gun, the fact that this one WAS engraved over three decades ago, there is no rewriting history on it.

So we deal with what we have today, which is one of the finest examples of engraving (by a Colt engraver ) complete with 22 carat gold inlay, and AAA Fancy walnut by the Bishop Stock Company.

Not to mention ownership (TWICE no less) by the colorful J. Curtis Earl, and display in the Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, AZ, including a brief reference to the Midas Gun on Dillon's Machinegun Magic (formerly known as "firestorm in the desert" ) video.

The new owner has asked that the terms of the sale remain confidential, and that until he decides to come forward, the only comment for now is that it went to an SOT in VA.

Of the 4-5 "engraved" Colt T-guns known, none of the others can hold a candle to the quality of the Midas Touch Thompson.

We are each only temporary custodians of the artifacts and art work that we are fortunate enough to possess as we journey through time. Hopefully, in the right hands, and with proper care, there will be many future owners of these famous, and infamous pieces of history.

Oh, by the way, Happy Thanksgiving to each and every member of this board, and their family members.
Don't eat too much turkey. Don't drink and drive. Do cherish getting together with your family. "

The Bishop Stock Company may be the answer.

Sandman1957