Military Reising M55

Sandman1957

Gents,

I have three "examples" of Reising M55s. Without pole-vaulting over collector lingo, I will refer to these as:

1. M50 / 55 transition type.

2. M55 Transition

3. Military M55.

I am interested in your thoughts as I am not as familiar with these as I am the Thompsons. I have to let one go, and I am trying to get price book ends on each one. All comments welcomed.

1.The M50/55 transition type. Reising Model 50, SN 12575. Reciever marked Model 50.

This gun came this way. The buyer before me picked it up in this condition. Neither he nor I added the folding stock to this gun. It has the following features:

Blued, 29 fin with cutts compensator.

Front sight not adjustable for windage.

Barrel marked with a "P".

No punch mark on the reciever.

No screw in rear sight, rear sight not stamped with reinforcing ribs.

Selector switch curved downward (color case hardened)

All metal is highly polished blue.

20 Round magazine housing.

One piece bumper plug (needs to be rewelded).

Three screw stamped trigger guard.

Early “pull” mag release.

2. M55 Transition. Reising Model 55 SN 24277. Reciever marked Model 55.

By serial range a 2d Design model.

Blued, 29 fin without cutts compensator.

Front sight adjustable for windage.

Barrel marked with a "P" and something else, can’t tell; may half of an O.

No screw in rear sight, rear sight not stamped with reinforcing ribs.

Selector switch curved downward: blued.

All metal is highly polished blue.

Three screw milled trigger guard.

Push mag release.

Walnut Stock.

3. Military M55 Reising Model 55 SN 71241. Reciever marked Model 55.

By serial range a 2d Design model. Aka Military model.

Parkerized, 14 fin without cutts compensator.

Front sight adjustable for windage.

Barrel marked with a "P" and “S”

Pinned screw in rear sight, rear sight not stamped with reinforcing ribs.

Selector switch curved upward: parkerized.

All metal is parkerized

Three screw stamped trigger guard.

Pull mag release.

Walnut stock

Posted is a couple overview photos of each.

As soon as I can figure it out, will link to photo book for more detailed photos of each.

Thanks

Sandman1957

July 2014 142.JPG

July 2014 148.JPG

M55 Blued 29 Fin photos: Click on photo to see all posted shots.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg554/Steve_Daughtridge/Resing%2055/Military%20Reising%20Blue%2029%20fin%20M55/re002Small.jpg

Parked M55 14 Fin at this link:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Steve_Daughtridge/library/

Edited by Sandman1957

Well, as for pricing I will shoot you my 2 cents. the first one is just a model 50 in a 55 stock. the Stock is worth big $$ by itself. You would be better served finding a model 50 stock for the action, and selling the model 55 stock separately. Model 50s are going for north of $5k now. I have seen several like this over the years. Somebody in it's past wanted a folder on it. and found one.

The other Model 55s are originals, and pricing will not be much different - I would guesstimate a range of $9500- 11000.

I guess it depends on how much $$ you need to free up. Nice collection by the way, I would be hard pressed to sell either of the 55s.....

I am always looking for Reisings and Reising stuff. I do have a large lot of model 50 marked 20 round mags I will be selling.

Although in the Reising world, you can never be sure, I tend to go with MG08 on the model 50 marked Reising. Stocks were not that pricey 20 plus years ago and could be found.

I had a chance to buy one back then and passed it up. The Reising didn't cost that much more at that time.

I know of a well known dealer that had a college roommate that would take 55s out the para stocks and restock them with full 50s stocks and charge an extra $20 for the change.This left him with a barrel full of discarded 55 stocks....firewood for those cold North Carolina nights....Oh the humanity!

Here's the link to the M55 USMC final version, parkerized with 14 Fin Barrel.

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Steve_Daughtridge/library/

Let me know if this works or if I gooned it up.

Semper Fi,

Sandman1957

Edited by Sandman1957

I would have to agree with the above as a feature of the compact model 55 was without the compensator to make it more compact. I also believe the stamp trigger guard would have been a later feature such as your high numbered model 55 rather than show up on a low number reising 55. My Reising 50 in the 10K range already had the one piece bumper plug broke when I got it. I thought it was a 2 piece. Rewelding would only work for a couple of mags before it broke again. Get the 2 piece plug and your issues are done. If you can only find the spring guide, then have the original plug machined out like the later plugs. good luck.

I'm in the market for a model 50. At least 10 available over 5K not one has sold AFAIK. A few under 5K, none of those have sold except in the 3's. The model 50 may be a 55? No one really knows for sure. Reising supply has well outpaced demand for as long as I can recall, the 55 models sell much better though and clearly bring more money, but I wouldn't count on double. It is after all still a Reising Or a 50 with a case will also sell fairly quick. I have a spare case or two to fill, so that's why I'm in the market.

Sandman1957,

This is an excellent post. When I get a chance, which will probably be this week, I will add your photo of the 3 different versions to the Reising pinned reference section. I don't know of anyone else who has had these 3 different variations in their collection.

Your analysis of the 3 different types appears accurate. The first version Model 50/55 is how they were introduced as a new version of the Reising Submachine Gun.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I had no idea the 55's were worth that much. When I was shopping for my 50 last winter, Frank G had a 50 barreled receiver and trigger group in a 55 stock on GB but it was missing the wire piece, a freind told me the stock was very valuable but I passed. I think it sold just shy of 5K, and I bought another one. I think those folders are really cool.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I'm coming in late here, but want to add a word of caution over the statement that the one Reising is,"just a M50 in a M55 stock". I simply don't know enough "history" of the Reising s.m.g. -- particularly production/use history -- but there is a photo (can't remember where I saw it) of USMC "code-talkers" with a Reising M50 (presumably, because it has the compensator) on a M55 stock. I have no idea if this was a field-expedient swap-out due tso a M50 broken stock or if some M55s were produced by putting M50s in M55 stocks and shipped to the USMC. I don't even know where one might find this kind of info, even if the H&R records are still around!

Couldn't find the doggone photo! Here, I hope, is a link to the Reising manual which depicts (drawing) of the M55 with comp. Might just be an artist's error. Wish I could find that photo. I think it was taken on Guadalcanal, which might mean Paratroopers rather than Code-talkers. http://stevespages.com/pdf/hr_50_55_60.pdf

Thanks, David! For awhile I thought I was imagining the photo! The question then becomes: if some M50s were stocked with the M55 stock (at the factory), presumably because of a rush to get the M55 delivered -- which would suggest more or less "early" production M50s -- should these "factory original" guns then be put in a M50 stock? Without documentation (factory or Marine Corps) it would only be a guess if a M50 in a M55 stock is original. The point that I was trying to make was that this is a somewhat interesting variant that might be better left in its current configuration. But, then again, what do I know? LOL

I don't know how accurate this information is, but about ten years ago I was told that two fellows from eastern Pennsylvania -- maybe the Allentown or Easton area -- had acquired a lot of records, documents, etc. from the "old" or original H&R when it went out of business. Didn't get their names. I may have gotten this info from Dennis Todd -- who couldn't remember their names -- or one of the other Class 3 dealers who usually are at either the Harrisburg or York, PA gun shows. Don't know if anyone on this part of the Board can help, but thought I'd throw this out there. (Aging is a funny process: I can remember stuff like this, but forget such things as names, birthdays, etc.)

gunhistorian,

Most of the existing H&R documents and unusual firearms are in the hands of one individual whom I know as a fellow ASAC member. He is in New Hampshire. However, he doesn't have much in the way of Reising stuff, but he probably has the most H&R information of anyone. He was not involved in the recently published H&R book, by the way, and I hope he follows through on his intent to improve upon that book on his own.

There is also a collector who made many contributions to Frank Iannamico's Reising book, (besides Jeff Reising), and he may be the PA individual to which you refer...I'm not certain of his whereabouts.

I have Jeff Reising's documents, but he was not associated with H&R, and his interest in his family name and distant relationship to Eugene Reising did not produce any H&R documents directly. What he acquired was through eBay and Gunbroker over many years. I remember when he used to bid against me, back when you could tell the other bidders names. He found some good stuff...probably the most information remaining on the 1920's Reising .22 pistol. Someday I will put it online for further study.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com