BSA Parts Kit

Check out the description and pictures of this GB item:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=555647305

I call BS. It looks to me like a parts kit made up from an 80% dummy, machined out on the inside as you would with an M1 or M1A1 (no Blish lock slot - easier to mill). Also pic 13 shows the bolt with the Blish lock dehorned. Pic 10 shows the BSA 41 makings on the inside of the receiver, only markings on it. The gun has a shortened 16.5" finned barrel by the look of the fin profile.

What other items can we find out about this?

What about the history of BSA making guns like this and when where they done?

What types of parts should be on it?

At least it should be worthy of a good discussion on a rainy day!

I have sent a message to get pics of the receiver and all markings on it. I agree, it looks like a cut up 80% and stamped. The barrel does look funny. And no front site on the compensator? Is it even threaded on the barrel?

In my opinion, extremely suspect.

The rear sight looks like the type that Numrich used on their 27A1 semis; also the container that the sight is in has flathead machine screws that I'm guessing were used to attach the sight.

Although the photos aren't all that sharp, the knurling on the actuator knob looks like the type that I've seen on some cast reproduction actuators.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

Clearly a one of a kind parts kit- since None of the other BSA produced Thompsons survived the war :o OMG. Could the "BSA" not stand for BULL S added ? I may have to look- I am pretty sure I have a cut up parts kit or two here marked "COLTS" and number 2 or 3 . Not sure which one it is - Berreta 38A or a UZI, maybe both...... Really rare though and I will sell for only gold or silver

Yea.. its too bad there is no way to discipline these outrageous lying claims.

You see them all the time. And yes, the original BSA rear sight is also the West

Hurley type sight with the ladder like a M1917 rifle with no windage adjustment.

Bob

Assuming BSA means Birmingham Small Arms Ltd, there is no documentation indicating BSA was involved in the production of Thompson guns in 1941. Since the patents on the Thompson gun were still inforce in the USA and the UK, it is doubtful any work would have been done without the authorization of Auto-Ordnance Corporation (AOC). BSA and AOC had previously worked together in the 1920's on the Thompson Autorifle and what are now referred to as the (very rare) Model of 1926 and Model of 1929 BSA Thompson guns. Model of 1929 BSA serial number 2 sold today at auction for $95,000 plus buyers premium. If this pile of parts could some how be linked to BSA in 1941 then the seller may have a nice piece of history. No such documentation exists. In January 1941 shipments of the Thompson gun to Great Britain were becoming more and more regular. What Britain needed was an inexpensive submachine gun in 9mm caliber to supplement the Thompson procurement. That happened later in the war - the STEN.

Yes, the last photo shows the fire controls. They are the pin style that showed up later.

The lower looks to have the later ones. The stock is correct with the lack of reinforcement for the claimed date of manufacture, but those controls are not, correct?

Got an email from the seller today. I say buyer beware. It is likely a new receiver that was hand stamped BSA 1-41 on the inside.

ME - what about the outside? Manufacturing and Patent dates. Serial number? Inspectors stamps?
JEFF - Built under contract by BSA, so no patents or serial numbers: the outside of the receiver is clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-BSA-1928A1-Thompson-parts-kit-/172193845002?hash=item28178d8f0a:g:RGoAAOSwRH5XKj46

The receiver looks to have been perhaps a P/O "lite reject" where the endmill slipped.

No oiler reliefs or lock grooves.

The front grip strap appears to have been drilled up through it in the European de-mill fashion..... Phil

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by anjong-ni

Yes, the receiver is not even finished. It looks to have been machined to the width of the

bolt but the wider cuts for clearance for the H-lock during recoil, for the breech oilers, and

to make the receiver lighter have not been done yet. so its really not even close.

Bob

have to disagree bug, having an NFA receiver saw cut that doesn't displace at least 1/4" of material is considered contraband. Either one of the joining pieces has to be missing or completely destroyed. The feds like to see a diagonal torch cut.

The requirements for demil have changed over the years, now if you have pictures of you at the 2016 new years party doing the demil, it might be a problem. But there are a lot of old kits out there that are saw cut, and some even have BARRELS included. ( since the new imports are without barrels, you dont have to throw the old ones out) :happy: This does not mean that the old kits are "illegal" but that the impart requirements are now different.......