Rare NOS WW2 Vertical Grip on eBay

I am not a grip expert but I think this falls into the category of something that looks too

good, too perfect to be genuine. Also, the more you get the long story - serious collector

who only acquired hard to get parts...oh really?

I think this is what they call a "tell" in high stakes poker. If a guy is selling the grip all

he has to say is that its an original grip and end of story. if he feels compelled to go into

a background story to somehow legitimize it, its because he knows its not original and

therefore needs the story. I see this all the time. Remember the welded gun that started

out as a pristine original gun that was sneaked out of the factory by an employee, etc. etc.

Same thing.

Again, I don't know but the absolutely perfect/new appearance combined with the long

deluxe story make me suspicious...

Bob

The curves on the end that buts up to the receiver are concave ) ( for lack of a better description while on every original Colt and Savage I have ever seen they are convex ( ). The very early West Hurley vertical fore grips were like this before they went all slabby and 3/4 inch plus the bolt hole was often countersunk far enough in to accept the shorter rear grip bolt. The ebay one is a reproduction albeit a rather nice one. My two cents I'd check with deerslayer.

To be fair, there are plenty of WWII Thompson buttstocks that are still in the paper wrap and are pristine.

But those sell for $30 and nobody cares about them.

If the guy is selling a NIW foregrip for $400, then he's going to need to come up with some provenance if he wants my money.

This reminds me of a guy on antiques roadshow with bunch of guns, the appraiser came up and examined the guns and declared them all to be fakes.

There is huge number of fakes out there.

Edited by buzz

Just look at it. It is all wrong. The shape tells you more than anything. Even Dan Block's wonderful repros have a slightly different profile. Once a grip matches the right profile, then it can be considered for authenticity based on markings and patina. But this thing is just bad looking.

To be fair, there are plenty of WWII Thompson buttstocks that are still in the paper wrap and are pristine.

But those sell for $30 and nobody cares about them.

If the guy is selling a NIW foregrip for $400, then he's going to need to come up with some provenance if he wants my money.

This reminds me of a guy on antiques roadshow with bunch of guns, the appraiser came up and examined the guns and declared them all to be fakes.

There is huge number of fakes out there.

The Roadshow has problems of its own.

'Antiques Roadshow' Dealers Accused of Fraud"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93814

ebay grip revised to $299. By next week it will be under $100.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

The antiques roadshow is hardly the final arbiter of gun authenticity, but the problem of fakes is real.

There are certain guns that were faked so much that the fakes de-valued the real guns because collectors gave up on them as all fake.

The antiques roadshow is hardly the final arbiter of gun authenticity, but the problem of fakes is real.

There are certain guns that were faked so much that the fakes de-valued the real guns because collectors gave up on them as all fake.

What were these firearms that were exposed as fakes on the show? New reporductions posing as antiques? Fake stamps on Lugars? There are famous art museuems hanging Picasso's that have been authenticated by experts to be genuine but are in fact forgeries.

A known reproduction vertical foregrip from the late 1980's for reference purposes. I know the grip is not real as it came from one of the large surplus dealers in the late 1980's. It does use the correct length screw.

Edit: grip is not for sale. Photos are for repro reference purposes only.

Ross

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Mobile%20Uploads/image_33.jpeg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Mobile%20Uploads/image_31.jpeghttp://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Mobile%20Uploads/image_30.jpeg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Mobile%20Uploads/image_32.jpeg

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

I appreciate the compliment but my grip looked nothing like it does today when I started sanding and shaping. The chip in the back was there when I bought it new in the late 1980's. I moved the sling swivel to the left side after trying it out on the right side.

The Enfield swivel is original ;)