is this machine gun fact true?

huggytree

my friend was listening to NPR the other day and they had a show about the history of machine guns.

They discussed how in 1934 they were going to outright ban machine guns, but FDR said NO! because of ranchers

this got me thinking to the famous thompson ad showing a rancher shooting horses and men.....

any truth to this?

the truth behind why silencers are on the NFA registry is also odd to me, so this stuff may be true too?

FDR was pro machine gun?

My understanding is that machine guns weren't outlawed because the Judges knew it was unconstitutional. What they did instead was require registration and the payment of a $200 transfer tax in the form of a stamp for each machine gun. In 1934 $200 was a considerable sum of money and beyond the reach or those who were not wealthy. So this in effect constituted a ban. Until the illegally enacted Firearms Act of 1986(I not going to go into the details here) machine guns could still be purchased new by submitting to a background check and paying for the $200 stamp. The NRA let this ridiculous legislation pass thru without objecting and we've been stuck with it ever since. I personally can't imagine the most conservative politician calling for it's abolition.

BTW: According the the lefties at that time if this 1986 legislation passed no further legislation would be required. Ya think that perhaps they were lying?
Jim

• Upvote 1

i did some more reading (on the web) into this issue....found out Reagan was not Pro-gun....which i kinda figured......

Found out they wanted to register all guns in 1934......wanted to outlaw handguns........the info i read(on the web) talked like the 2nd amendment wasnt even a thought until the NRA got involved more in the early 1970's....like no one cared about it until then.....

i found nothing to suggest FDR wanted to keep FA because of ranchers who needed them to protect their land........FDR wanted to get rid of all guns....

from talking with my employee, it sounded like the NPR radio show was very fair discussing machine guns........i wish he would have called me because i would have loved to have heard about it....

also mentioned no crime w/ a FA in over 40 years

Then from the 5th Circuit yesterday.

"Machine guns are dangerous and unusual and therefore not in common use. They do not receive Second Amendment protection, so we uphold Section 922(o) at step one of our framework."

i did some more reading (on the web) into this issue....found out Reagan was not Pro-gun....which i kinda figured......

It wasn't so much that Reagan was anti gun in 1986, he originally did not want to sign the FOPA. However Wayne LaPierre convinced him to sign the 1986 legislation on the promise the NRA would do every thing it could to have the Hughes Amendment removed at a later date. Thirty years later we are still waiting on the NRA to make its first move in that direction. The NRA was hell bent on having that legislation signed and if it meant sacrificing NFA owners to get it done they were more than willing to do it.

NPR Story regarding machine guns - http://www.npr.org/2016/06/30/484215890/prohibition-era-gang-violence-prompted-congress-to-act-on-gun-control

• Upvote 1

The NRA mostly only gets involved in federal legislation issues not too much with individual states. Even though the NRA has been around since 1871 and that happened because certain people of that time were trying to outlaw firearms being the first recorded attempt in history. Several concerned citizens came together and successfully defeated them. Then they also knew that sooner or later some group of people would try it again so a political watchdog group was needed. So the NRA was formed. God bless 'em. They're America's first civil rights group long before the ACLU came along.

It wasn't so much that Reagan was anti gun in 1986, he originally did not want to sign the FOPA. However Wayne LaPierre convinced him to sign the 1986 legislation on the promise the NRA would do every thing it could to have the Hughes Amendment removed at a later date. Thirty years later we are still waiting on the NRA to make its first move in that direction. The NRA was hell bent on having that legislation signed and if it meant sacrificing NFA owners to get it done they were more than willing to do it.

NPR Story regarding machine guns - http://www.npr.org/2016/06/30/484215890/prohibition-era-gang-violence-prompted-congress-to-act-on-gun-control

This does make you not want to financially support the NRA, although I'm a long time Life member. A tragic mistake.

This does make you not want to financially support the NRA, although I'm a long time Life member. A tragic mistake.

Been a life member since 1983, haven't donated to the NRA since 1986.

The NRA mostly only gets involved in federal legislation issues not too much with individual states. Even though the NRA has been around since 1871 and that happened because certain people of that time were trying to outlaw firearms being the first recorded attempt in history. Several concerned citizens came together and successfully defeated them. Then they also knew that sooner or later some group of people would try it again so a political watchdog group was needed. So the NRA was formed. God bless 'em. They're America's first civil rights group long before the ACLU came along.

Actually the NRA was formed in 1871 by former Union army officers, Col. William Church and Gen. George Wingate, for the purpose of marksmanship training. The NRA making an issue of firearms ownership came many decades later when the Legislative Affairs Division was formed in 1934.

Gun owners that don't support the NRA today because of a error 30 years ago are making their own error.

A lot of times you read internet forums and people say, "I won't join the NRA until they do more."

That's pretty backward logic.

That's like people on the Titanic lifeboats saying, "I won't get on the Carpathia until they spiff it up a little, the staterooms are not up to my taste."

We live in a country that elected Obama twice but everyone expects the NRA to be able to change all federal, state and local gun laws with a snap of the fingers.

Me, I just listen to the liberals. They hate the NRA and never stop complaining about the NRA. Therefore, I became a life member.

When you don't join the NRA and you convince others to not join the NRA, you are doing Hillary's job for her.

Edited by buzz

With NAGR, who needs the NRA.....??

I am the president of the Louisiana Shooting Association and an attorney. Part of the duties I have taken on is to draft and lobby for pro gun legislation and to lobby against anti gun legislation. I spend time in committee meetings and in the halls at the state capital. NRA is always there right next to me lobbying and working for our gun rights. I have yet to see or be contacted by anyone from NAGR. As far as I am concerned and as far as legislators are concerned NAGR does not exist. Fee free to support them if you like, but if you actually want to get anything done, you NEED to support NRA and your state association (by the way, if your state association is not active in gun rights issues, do what I did - join, get elected to the board and take over). Also, support GOA and CRKBA. They are more conservative than NRA and more importantly, they are leading the fight in the courts.

Dan

So far the NRA has been the only "pro" gun group to stab me in the back. I lost all faith and confidence in the NRA that day. Their actions are something I will never forgive as long as Vice President for Life Wayne LaPierre who led the charge in 1986 sits on his throne collecting close to a million dollars per year in annual salary along with all the perks.

I'm a long time Life member of the NRA, currently Patron and working on Endowment. Also a long time member of my state affiliate, USOF. I don't think anyone is saying don't support the NRA. Obviously you have to consider the alternatives. However, when they call asking for money, which they do frequently, I like to talk about NFA ownership rights and "what have you done for me lately." Perhaps they will get the message one day and start working more aggressively on our rights in the NFA community.

Life Patron member of the NRA. I support the NRA and NRA-ILA knowing full well that they will gleefully take credit for the actions of local and state organizations with no NRA affiliation, only recently decided to support military-style semi-auto rifles owners, and have never actually repealed a single Federal gun law.

My view is that I have been bugging Wayne LaPierre for 30 years to quit deriding NFA weapon owners as they are the MOST pro-gun guys (and gals) in the country. And it seems to be having an effect. A couple of years ago I was shocked (and amazed) to see pro NFA articles in American Rifleman and on their TV shows.

Rather than gripe about how little they do for NFA owners, it seems that making our voices heard at NRA meetings is having an effect.

Well, that and possibly finally having NRA leadership realize that ALL gun owners are at risk if you let ANY gun owners down.

Reagan is more anti-gun on internet forums than real life. He did exactly what NRA & GOA wanted him to. The gun lobby was obsessed with passage of the FOPA as evidenced by Roscoe's letter from the time he posted here. "We didn't sell anyone out but if we did sell you out, it would be because we had to sell you out after seven years of working to get this bill passed".

Edited by The Lone Ranger

Roscoe,

Besides being upset with Wayne La Pierre are you still upset about the south loosing the "War of Northern Aggression"??? :o

Jim C

I leave that fight for the rednecks to work out.

Cors is true blue good guy gun owner and works for free unlike the high rollers. Two different worlds.

Absolutely. You have good folks like Cors doing their best for nothing and others like Uncle Wayne using the NRA as a cash cow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...