Two Decent Thompsons For Sale on Gunbroker

Anyone see the 2 listed Thompsons for sale on Gunbroker. The matching M1A1 with accessories is at 18K right now with the reserve met. Maybe our newest member Petroleum 1 should take a hard look at these two.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/692128833

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/690836583

Did you notice the upper receiver and lower frame numbers match. Its not that common to find that as most have different numbers or it is blank.

Petroleum 1 are you aware that the M1A1 model only uses stick magazines unlike the 28 that can use both stick and drum magazines?

Drum magazines are overrated compared to the 30 round stick mags.

Besides, the M1 type Thompsons can use drum mags that have been modified.

The current price of the M1 is good, if it climbs up into the 20s I would look for more minty one.

The market is kind of soft right now, I think you can take a little time looking for the right gun.

Concerning the M1, the wood is bothersome and mismatched.... a small thing that can be corrected. M1 / M1A1's are built like tanks, pure war machines, now destine for fun on the range. The upper and lower match, awesome, however what really scores points, and I'm no"expert" but the finish appears to be the original dulite blue. Plenty of good gear with it too.... Good looking automatic meat axe.

Concerning the M1, the wood is bothersome and mismatched.... a small thing that can be corrected. M1 / M1A1's are built like tanks, pure war machines, now destine for fun on the range. The upper and lower match, awesome, however what really scores points, and I'm no"expert" but the finish appears to be the original dulite blue. Plenty of good gear with it too.... Good looking automatic meat axe.

In the pics there are some extra furniture parts that look like the original ones. I would put them back on.

Either one would be a good gun for the money they are at. The AO '28 for $21,000 is a good price as that's what WH guns are being listed at these days. I too am looking for an M but know of one local which I am going to go after.

Good luck on your choice.

Those are both good war machines without the potential WH issues. The 21K "buy now" option on the '28 is interesting.

I think it's a WH

I'm in agreement that the 28 is a West Hurley. I also think the lower is mismatched to the upper and I'd want to see the gun up close and personal before I'd consider making an offer. The M1A1 looks much better to me and if I were seriously considering one of them that's where I'd be looking. Just MHO.

I noticed the M1 as well, clearly a very good deal at the current price ($18,050.00 as I make

this post).

But.... the auction has over 3 days to go and I doubt it'll stay there... my guess would be it

will finish at least in the low $20's... will be interesting to see.

I do agree that the market has gotten soft for the present, particularly compared to where it

was right before the implementation of '41F' (July, 2016)... and who knows, maybe the recent

hurricane activity will shake a few MG's onto the market.

To some the drum is an important feature. But if you don't care that $18,000 looks great for the money. I suspect it will go up into the 20's before Its done. But then the market is very cold now. So deals are there to be had

I own both an early Savage 28 and a late Savage M1A1.

I think a lot of Thompson guys prefer the 28 because it is a very fancy and feature-laden gun, which is always appealing to gun collectors, and it has all the classic Thompson features like the drum mags and finned barrel and cutts compensator, etc.

But when I bought the M1A1, I slowly came to the opinion that it is a fantastic gun design and a superior weapon to the 28. It has the same no-nonsense bad ass personality as a Garand or M1 Carbine.

Also, they are actually kind of rare, I think if more guys owned an M1 type they would appreciate its excellence a little more.

The M1/M1A1 types are pretty close to being a perfect war weapon.

The AOC prefix on the SN is a dead giveaway also. That's how WH's were marked the very first year of production. I have a first year production WH 28 marked just like that while a second year model has just the serial number. Also, the A1 was dropped from the U.S. Model 1928A1 in the second year production and thereafter. I've always speculated they were possibly told to drop it due to that being a Military designation. TD, what say you?

Both guns are refinished. The West hurley gun is missing it's lower and refinished for some reason and buffed hard to boot? The M1 has some pitting and likely a new barrel, would be the better buy IMO if the two were priced the same.

Could the M1 have been a reactivated DEWAT?

Edited by Bridgeport28A1