Ammo to use for a valuable gun

I've got an original Colt 1921 gun and I've been working (with the help of some forum members) to replace the more valuable parts with others that will work but not be a big deal if they were damaged. The barrel is the one thing I'm concerned about as I am not going to replace that.

I've seen advice to use the best ammo to prevent possible jams or squibs. A while back I got some 45 auto rounds from my local gun shop that had been received with a gun the shop took in. They were in poly bags and in good condition. Based on the markings they are Sellier & Bellot. Anyone see a problem shooting these?

KM

I'm not sure I would trust ammo in "poly bags" in a Colt. You could probably weigh them on a digital scale and compare them to new-in-box rounds you trust.

Better to get an A-O or Kahr 1927 Thompson and shoot them up in "semi"..Phil

The only problem I see with this advice is the variance in the bullet weight could run several grains which could easily hide a 5.3 vs. 8.5 grain charge of Win 231 . Ie. boom vs. KABOOM !

Chris

• Upvote 1

morke,

If you are tempted to shoot ammo from a plastic bag taken in during a trade by a local gun shop in a Colt's Thompson submachine gun with an original barrel and finish, (please) take that bag of ammo and deposited it in your trash can right now. If you ring or buldge that barrel, you will devalue your Colt's by at least $5000.

If you only plan to shoot your Colt's a few times a year with only a few hundred rounds, it will probably be OK to use the original barrel - but only with premium new in the box ammunition. No off-brand stuff! Short bursts, no C or L drum dumps, and you will probably be fine. Yes, it is a risk, but new in the box ammunition greatly reduces any potential problems. Do not use an original Colt's actuator! Many Colt owners never fire their guns because of the risk of devaluing it. If you plan to shoot your Colt's more, or more aggressively, send it to forum member PK. and have him replace the original barrel with one of his Diamond K barrels. If you want the A configuration, PK also has the reproduction ring front sights. If you want the compensator look, find a WWII compensator for PK. to install when he does the barrel change. A PK. barrel will probably look better than the barrel on your Colt's. PK. is pretty quick in turning this type of work around and there is no fear he will damage your Colt's. If you go this route, be sure and keep the original parts together with proper markings that these parts go with Thompson submachine gun NO XXXXX. If something unexpectedly should happen to you, I am certain you would want your heirs to obtain a good price for this family asset. Replacing the barrel and other internal Colt's parts will not devalue your Colt's as long as the original parts do not get lost. Yes, it happens!

• Upvote 1

All good advice, and as I suspected. I have been investigating getting a shooter TMG and I suspect that is what I might do. I have corresponded with PK re converting a 1927/28 actuator to 1921 style to replace my original Colt's 1921 actuator. If the barrel is replaced how much of a problem is it to go back to the original barrel at some point? My alignment makings are perfect and I'm 99% sure it's the original barrel.

K

I got a "shooter grade" 1921 Thompson just so I could shoot it. I only shoot top shelf ammo in it. Avoid corrosive ammo and reloads. Yes AVOID RELOADS! The money you save is just not worth a damaged barrel, receiver or injured body parts. John Baum from mg42 says it best, you buy a expensive car and then put the cheapest gas you can find in it? Makes no sense. A lot of guys shooting junk ammo in these guns are shooting much less valuable post-sample machine guns. But for fully transferable machineguns...I would and do shoot only the best ammo.

I got a "shooter grade" 1921 Thompson just so I could shoot it. I only shoot top shelf ammo in it. Avoid corrosive ammo and reloads. Yes AVOID RELOADS! The money you save is just not worth a damaged barrel, receiver or injured body parts. John Baum from mg42 says it best, you buy a expensive car and then put the cheapest gas you can find in it? Makes no sense. A lot of guys shooting junk ammo in these guns are shooting much less valuable post-sample machine guns. But for fully transferable machineguns...I would and do shoot only the best ammo.

dude, How hard was it to find a shooter Colt? I've been advised to get a shooter military gun, and modify the actuator and spring to get the higher RPM. Still looking for one but a shooter Colt sounds more enticing.

At some time there comes a point where the valuable gun is no longer shot. I have been lucky to acquire a few such items. Some are from the 19th century, and in factory fresh condition. My appreciation of them does not extend to shooting. I have "shooters" for that. Also, what if something happens to an owner and whoever handles his estate does not know that there are original parts hidden away somewhere? Then, those parts are forever lost.

Why would it matter if I do not keep the Colt internals for a particular gun labeled and such if I have other original Colt internal parts that could just as easily go in there? Serious question. If I put alternate Colt internal parts in my Navy, who will know? I am fairly certain I remember which parts came out, but they all look alike.

GaryKeim,

Great question. The internals are what I refer to as "bolt on" parts so it really makes no difference. Originality is the key, but there are differences in the 1921 and 1928 NAVY actuators. There is little doubt of part swapping when multiple Colt's were owned by a police department; same with dealers. That said, if mine, I would try to keep the same parts with the same gun. The key is making sure your heirs know about the location of the original parts should this family asset have to be sold after you are gone. It makes for a much better price!

• Upvote 1

Morke, if you are looking for a shooter grade 1921 gun - that you can convert back to one with history - see this one!

Good people here selling the gun and a lot of history. At the price is awesome for a shooter too!

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23886

• Upvote 1

Don’t risk it. I unknowingly bought a 1921 with a ringed barrel. Also had a squib in my Reising. Luckily the bolt wouldn’t close despite my repeated tries to get it to. Saved at least the gun if not my health. Sometimes God watches over idiots. Only shoot new brass case American made factory ammo. S &b is good; makes my ‘21 (with 1928 actuator/bolt) run fast. Silver lining: I now have a shooter and not just a safe queen.